Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2013 Vacation Thread

Registered
    Nov 2009

The 2013 Vacation Thread

Our family will most likely be going to San Antonio to visit my folks so they can see SeaMonkey, but I would also like to squeeze in a quick trip to Maine. Maybe I can convince lp to send me a list of places we must see.

Any other early planners out there putting together ideas for their 2013 vacations?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We are planning a trip down to the in-laws in Naples, Florida in February or March. It will all depend on when we find the best deal for flights. No other vacations planned for 2013.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Nothing is planned right now. We're horrible vacation planners.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What to do with 6 weeks paid vacation ?
    sorry but union benefits are applied to the rest of us non union county workers.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Last year we were lucky enough to go to Belize for 10 days. This year is looking less adventurous. For the New Year we are going to visit my aunt and uncle in Arizona. Beyond that we are either doing a river trip with my brother (if we get permits) or southern California (San Diego or Santa Barbara areas) and doing a VRBO with my bro and family. If the latter, we are planning to do an overnight bikepacking trip.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    It was struck down by the better half to combine an appearance in Bonn with vacation, so not sure they are still operative but the plans were to go to southern France to check out future job prospects and real estate while we were enjoying ourselves. If I can somehow get lucky enough to land a consulting fee at the same time as a conference in Japan, only I will go and do some sightseeing, so not sure that counts. Might be a boring year for the fam and vacay and just camping in the Rockies...
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    As usual, my vacations will be spent going to see family, with side trips while there. The joys of living far away from my family.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We are talking of going to Italy for 10-12 days this year. Besides that we will probably do a trip to New Orleans and Austin in March, and have talked about driving to Alaska this summer. If I land a project in the eastern states (should hear this week) I will likely spend a good deal of time traveling around New England and Quebec. We'll make one trip out to California and one or two out to Colorado. Maybe we will do Utah's canyon country again in May. We have also talked of going to Florida for a few days this winter. I might like to go back to Virginia and North Carolina later in the year. Otherwise we will likely just be spending time at home.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We'll be headed back to Portland for a week in May thanks to a NeighborWorks training institute. I held out all this year to be able to go to this one since it's rarely held there and it's my hometown. I was planning on taking my partner and the girls. Turns out that RT, now that she is a permanent part time employee in my org, also has to take some training so they are allowing us to go together. Just need to spring for one airline ticket now and the car rental! I am so excited since I haven't been "home" in 10 years and want to see a bunch of my old friends, see my aunt, and have my other half see where I grew up. We will probably fly in a day early and stay two days late so we can get out of Portland and see some of the other parts of the state again.

Hey Otis....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    We'll be headed back to Portland for a week in May thanks to a NeighborWorks training institute. I held out all this year to be able to go to this one since it's rarely held there and it's my hometown. I was planning on taking my partner and the girls. Turns out that RT, now that she is a permanent part time employee in my org, also has to take some training so they are allowing us to go together. Just need to spring for one airline ticket now and the car rental! I am so excited since I haven't been "home" in 10 years and want to see a bunch of my old friends, see my aunt, and have my other half see where I grew up. We will probably fly in a day early and stay two days late so we can get out of Portland and see some of the other parts of the state again.

Hey Otis....
    kjel we need to coordinate this closely. One of my BILs is getting married in Pennsylvania in May. I want to make sure I'm here when you come west.

The Pennsylvania trip likely will include Virginia as well. Also looking at a short trip to San Diego, maybe in January. Then maybe a two-week road trip to northern California and Monterey later in the year. Beyond that, I'm not sure what we are going to do.

Meanwhile, I'm already planning a summer 2014 road trip from Virginia to Oregon. My mother will stop driving when she turns 90 and I am going to take her car.

And the 2016 multi-month trip to southern Europe.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Normally I love planning my vacations but this year is struggling, for a variety of reasons.

Hubby and I had were talking about a road trip to ND, SD, NE, KS and OK. After our road trip to WI for Thanksgiving I'm not sure the idea of driving thousands of miles through periods of nothingness sounds like that much fun.

I love to travel but I'm having a bit of a crisis of conscious because Hubby and I are seriously talking about adopting and if we're going into debt to start a family I'm not sure I can justify spending on a vacation.

At the same time this has been a pretty sh*tty year so a fun trip would be a nice reward for not eating a bullet.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hopefully the Denmark/Sweden trip we had to put off this year will happen next year. Other than that I have a conference in St. Johns I hope to combine with a mini-vacation and possibly another conference in either Calgary or Vancouver which I'll do the same for.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am spending 2 weeks at the Rose Motel in Toledo by the Jeep plant. That way I can go to the art museums, maumee state park, the farmer's market, stalk Jamie Farr for a pic, and still go home for lunch!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I am spending 2 weeks at the Rose Motel in Toledo by the Jeep plant. That way I can go to the art museums, maumee state park, the farmer's market, stalk Jamie Farr for a pic, and still go home for lunch!
    The whaaaaaat?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Ideally I'll be going to late August with my fiance. So long as life doesn't get in the way.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Nothing is planned right now. We're horrible vacation planners.
    We never plan much either, but if you live in Utah it's pretty easy. I think LLCoolJ summed UT vacation plans up best....

I'm goin' back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali, I'm goin' back to Cali.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2005
    No clue, but I'm super stoked that next summer I'll have been at my current job long enough to get an extra week of vacation! Then I'll start accumulating enough to actually have a real vacation.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    ......Any other early planners out there putting together ideas for their 2013 vacations?
    We're talking about making a run to New Orleans in the spring before it gets too hot and sticky. A California trip is always in the cards but not yet on the calendar. Jekyll Island GA is on our list. And Orlando for the APA Florida conference (that's on the list because I don't attend the sessions so it's really a vacation for me ). Key West is not out of the question.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    The whaaaaaat?
    Just googled it, it has another name now, the Classic Inn, its an old early 1960's Holiday Inn/Howard Johnson's vintage place at 280 and 75. It appears to still have a Rose Logo set into an old Days Inn sign.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Normally I love planning my vacations but this year is struggling, for a variety of reasons.

Hubby and I had were talking about a road trip to ND, SD, NE, KS and OK. After our road trip to WI for Thanksgiving I'm not sure the idea of driving thousands of miles through periods of nothingness sounds like that much fun.

I love to travel but I'm having a bit of a crisis of conscious because Hubby and I are seriously talking about adopting and if we're going into debt to start a family I'm not sure I can justify spending on a vacation.

At the same time this has been a pretty sh*tty year so a fun trip would be a nice reward for not eating a bullet.
    A coutionary note on ND: The oil boom has made travel in the western part of the state challenging at times, especially along Highway 2 from Devil's Lake west.

There are more things to see in this region than you might expect. Teddy Roosevelt is OK. The Black Hills, Badlands, (SD) and Pine Ridge (NE) are definitely worth seeing. The Flint Hills in Kansas are also interesting.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    A coutionary note on ND: The oil boom has made travel in the western part of the state challenging at times, especially along Highway 2 from Devil's Lake west.

There are more things to see in this region than you might expect. Teddy Roosevelt is OK. The Black Hills, Badlands, (SD) and Pine Ridge (NE) are definitely worth seeing. The Flint Hills in Kansas are also interesting.
    Everyone has to visit Wall Drugs once (SD).
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've also discussed a trip to the historic communities in Mississippi along the Mississippi River. I'm really interested in this destination.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Everyone has to visit Wall Drugs once (SD).
    Thanks for the input! Hubby and I are really interested in going to Deadwood and calling each other c0cksuckers and m0therfucker in the spirit of Al Swearengen.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Thanks for the input! Hubby and I are really interested in going to Deadwood and calling each other c0cksuckers and m0therfucker in the spirit of Al Swearengen.
    I went to Deadwood and Lead in the summer of 1970. Toured the Homestake gold mine. Missed out on the above tradition, though. I don't think the young woman I was with would have been comfortable with such namecalling. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

I imagine the place has changed a bit in the last 42 years.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Just googled it, it has another name now, the Classic Inn, its an old early 1960's Holiday Inn/Howard Johnson's vintage place at 280 and 75. It appears to still have a Rose Logo set into an old Days Inn sign.
    When is this peculiar holiday? I would love to hang!
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 3:00 PM
  2. The 2013 Garden thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 103
    Last post: 02 Nov 2013, 9:43 AM