Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: kjel's big announcement

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Fabulous new, Kjel! So happy for you and your family!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Congratulations and best wishes. This might call for a DD...

Finally making an honest woman out of you.
    I know,crude comment. Did you expect less?
    I wouldn't expect anything less RJ, we understand each other like that
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Congratulations!!!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Thank you everyone! My SO's family is from a little town called Salcedo and his parents recently built a lovely home on a piece of the family's land there. The church that was founded by his great-grandfather is two doors away from the house so we will be getting married in that church. Since most of the extended family gathers at his parent's house for Christmas, most people will already be there so it will be a three day fiesta between Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the wedding on the 26th. Whoever fits in the church sees the ceremony, whoever doesn't we will see at the party. It is likely that half the town will show up for the party.

We will be doing a quick civil ceremony at the NYC marriage bureau before we leave since it's way less complicated and much cheaper than doing a registered marriage down there.
    Congrats!! I think it's awesome that it gets to happen in DR, but even so much more that it can take place where there is so much family history.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Congratulations!!

Having so much of his family and history there will be wonderful.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Don't rush into anything, now!

I had to read the first post a couple of times. NEXT YEAR?!?!? The anticipation is going to kill us all!

Seriously, hooray!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We'd do it sooner, but since I only get two weeks of vacation and am pretty beholden to construction schedules, December is the best time to be away for me and I can make those two weeks stretch to three with holidays. Also his parents asked us to come down for a longer stretch of time, there was a lot of complaining that a week is not nearly long enough. They are really wonderful people and I seriously do not mind spending time with them. They are older too (67 & 78) so the reality is that time is precious and I really want the baby to have good and substantial memories of her grandparents because both of mine have passed on before she was born.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Happy news! Best wishes!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Tomorrow is kjel's birthday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 7:46 AM
  2. kjel's Big News
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 12 Jan 2012, 12:23 PM
  3. Z's Announcement...