Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toys for kids…

Registered
    May 2005

Disney Princess Castle

Is this a cheap plastic toy or would this be acceptable as a gift?

This is a real thing my youngest daughter wants.

http://blujay.com/item/Disney-Prince...170000-4366378
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

The ad says it comes with three stories. Is it a three story castle or a castle with three narratives? Or both?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Dollhouses are imaginary play toys so it should be acceptable. The child has to do the “play” instead of the toy doing the “play” and the child passively interacts.

One of my son’s favorite toys right now are four super cheap plastic airplanes that he won at the bowling alley… they are flying airplanes, they are bath toys, they are crayon holders. They're like the kind of cheap plastic toys you see in the Oriental Trading Company catalogs, but they're so simple he can do a lot with them.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Video games provide a great critical thinking skill, especially those that provide situational decisions on whether to bust down a door and blow some terrorist's head off or just be real stealthy like and just kill him with a knife . No but seriously, they do provide an element where you have to think. It may not be an "educational 2+2" life skill, but it does present choices and think how to problem solve through levels and ways to get to the next portion of the game.

I don't let video games run my kids life. All in moderation.
    This! Many video games, especially when played against another human, reinforce beneficial lessons in economics, planning, future time orientation, resource maximization, etc. They are basically chess with a lot more dimensions and flashy lights. Plus the ability to play against people all over the world at any time rather than needing a personal contact.

The social aspect of online guilds or corporations is another learning opportunity, they can have very serious leadership and management roles if taken seriously.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    One exception to this is his hot wheel cars. But for those, he gets creative and will build garages and stuff out of his Legos and other things.
    I was thinking you'd be getting more flak for promoting an auto-centric lifestyle and land development patterns

Registered
    May 2005
    My personal objection to video games in the home are that they are huge time hogs. All the beneficial aspects RTG notes may be true, but its not the only way to gain those same skills. Life and Monopoly develop many of the same skill sets, for example. I don’t have anything against those that play video games, I’m just pointing out that I don’t think my kids are at a disadvantage for not having them (and again, they do play some games on the computer, ipad, ipod, etc.).

There was a great article some time ago in the New Yorker about video games and one of the things they pointed out was that, unlike a movie which last 1.5 to 2 hours, a video game can eat up hundreds of hours very easily. Their structure allows for some to never really have an “end.” And its this that leads to one of my least favorite child-parent battles. The “wait, wait, just let me finish this level!” argument that ensues. It’s a facet deliberately built into these games which take advantage of psychological propensities and action-reward dynamics to get people stuck in what feels to me like an endless loop of activity that is harder than gravity to break from. The zombie-like and half-paying attention to anything else going on in the room let alone your parent trying to talk to you element doesn’t sit well with me either.

Again, I am not chastising those that enjoy video games. I have indulged from time to time and had a grand time. But its just not something I want in our house, eating up our time. I expect others have some similar sentiments.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Kids can play for hours with Ball in a Cup! It's as simple as catching a ball in a cup!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYo5xYiyRuk
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Kids can play for hours with Ball in a Cup! It's as simple as catching a ball in a cup!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYo5xYiyRuk
    Love that scene! In all seriousness, my kids have a wii and there's a DS in the house, but they're just as likely to play with a ball in a cup! If they were ever too much into the video/computer stuff I'd do something about it, but I just don't see it.

Here's what I think: You fill your kids lives with everything; toys, music, arts and crafts, sports, outdoors, books, technology and (gasp) other kids. They will find what they love, and do what they love, and excel at what they love and hopefully it will be a whole bunch of those things.

including ball in a cup.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005

So we are officially buying this as a joint present for our daughters. They will be spoiled on Christmas day. I demand it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    SeaMonkey is getting a new Nook. Yep. 2 months old and already an avid reader.

In all seriousness though, we read to him a lot and plan to read him nightly stories. The nook is from his Situ. She has one too and wants to read him stories from the same library wherever we may be.

His Nana and Poppop gave him a handmade rocking horse and a mystery present to be opened on Christmas.

We purchased a house and loving family for him. I figured that is good enough for this year.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    I was thinking you'd be getting more flak for promoting an auto-centric lifestyle and land development patterns
    HA! He is in Michigan, for this he gets medals!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004

I blew the dust off my old Spirograph recently for Junior to play with when he was sick. Trouble was the pens were all dried up (go figure it's only been 40 years since I last used it) and the tips on all the new ball point pens nowadays are too big/wide to fit properly in the holes to make the designs. Any ideas where I can find pens that will be guaranteed to work?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

I think that is a great gift. The dolls don't move on their own and the girls will need to make up stories as they move the dolls through out the house.

As for cheap.... if that is cheap, I want your job.

Our oldest turned 4 on Sunday and we were very pleased to find out that all of the gifts met our criteria. It was funny though. The simplest of the gifts was a rug that had road, train tracks, and other stuff printed on it, but it was the gift he loved the most. He also got an ant farm, several books, a board game that teaches adding & subtraction, a play-dough factory set, a keyboard guitar thing, and a magnet drawing board thing. (use the magnet pen to draw...)

Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    We balance it out with train stuff to promote public transportation too. Oh, we also bought him a parking garage because he understands that surface parking is bad.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

I blew the dust off my old Spirograph recently for Junior to play with when he was sick. Trouble was the pens were all dried up (go figure it's only been 40 years since I last used it) and the tips on all the new ball point pens nowadays are too big/wide to fit properly in the holes to make the designs. Any ideas where I can find pens that will be guaranteed to work?
    An art or craft store might have specialty pens, usually a whole wall of them. Staples also might have some odd ball (point) items like that.
    @GigCityPlanner

The interwebs are so useful.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2009

Tul brand fine and ultra-fine ball points would likely work. They are really wonderful and I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall them coming in a few colors.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We are only buying one toy for our daughter this year because a) she's too young to really care and b) her grandparents and aunts and uncles always get her some toys.

For Christmas this year, I wanted to get her some plain ole' wooden building blocks. I went to the locally-owned toy store (I am trying to do all my shopping within walking distance of my house this year) and really wanted to buy the "Melissa and Doug" blocks because I liked that they were huge and therefore easy to handle and should stack better but they were $70!!!!! It was about 20 pounds of blocks but still too much. I even decided to check Amazon but they weren't much cheaper on there. The toy store did have a bucket of 200 regular sized wooden blocks for $20 though so that's what she is getting.

Oh she's also getting her own plastic broom and dustpan because we cannot take ours out of the closet without her wanting to play with it. But I've tested it out and it works pretty well so I am considering it a workthing and not a toy.

Yesterday we exchanged gifts with my wife's parents and they got our daughter a little plastic marching band base drum that had cymbals, castanets, a horn, etc. inside it. She's not quite 2 and a half and I wasn't sure how much she would enjoy it but she loved putting the drum on and marching around with it. When we got home she wanted to spend a few more hours at our house just marching around while we all played instruments.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    We do both Hannukah and Christmas and both of them rather low-key. So, the kids have already received most of their things. Saturday, the last night of Hannukah, they each got their BIG present. The daughter, 7, got a bike. A craigslist find – a 2003 7-sp mtn bike that went for $240 new. I got it for…$20! – it needed some work, but I love working on bikes, so now its practically brand new. Now the whole family has bikes. We went out a few weekends ago and my daughter’s knees were practically hitting the bars of her old bike, so now we’re ready to rock and roll!

The son, 12, got a snare drum with stand and case. He’s been getting into percussion in his school’s music class and I play as well, so it’s a fun thing we can do together. Another CL find. Normally $160 (for this model), I got it for $80, barely used.

Just finished ordering items for my brother and his family. His kids are in college, so a little older and more challenging to shop for. I went to Etsy and found some terrific handmade items for a reasonable price. It helps that those are really the only people we need to buy gifts for.

For Christmas day this year we will likely be up at our land with some snow and the mountains and then head to my wife's aunt and uncle's in Arizona. We won't have many presents - just some small things from us like clothing and whatever my brother gets them. Going away from the madding crowds will help ameliorate any feeling that they have been short changed, we hope. The aunt and uncle are Jewish, so they won't be lavishing them with gifts either. They already sent their Hannukah presents - real, non-edible gelt (some nice collectible coins)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. grade school toys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 12:58 PM
  2. Planners toys: GPS
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Nov 2006, 3:12 PM