Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How would you define planning?

Registered
    Dec 2012

How would you define planning?

I am just curious, to all you people with extensive knowledge on the subject, how would you answer, what is planning? Can it be neutral, what are your thoughts, essentially to these two questions over the past 100-200 years in terms of urban planning from different perspectives.Looking for more of philosophical type of explanation or perspective.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    To me, planning is just developing policies that impact the built environment. As to whether it can be neutral, that really depends on your perspective. However I would say planning (or lack there of) really reflect the priorities of the jurisdiction. So in that sense, planning is not neutral in that it's pushing the objectives of various interested parties.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've always told those who are not all that adept at following funky definitions that planners basically help to ensure that that vacant land behind their nice new house does not become a scrapyard or a rendering plant.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I like to say planning is about community values. One place I worked valued growth - even if the residents didn't always like it. Another place values agriculture, vertiually no growth. Whatever the value, we as planners try to maintain them. If you look at any city, you can see changes in values over time. Most people just call that history though.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Books that define a movement.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 31 Mar 2009, 11:33 AM
  2. Define self storage facility
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Jan 2009, 1:03 PM
  3. Define Downtown
    Make No Small Plans