Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Cigar and Pipe Thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The NEVERENDING Cigar and Pipe Thread

Okay, we've got the NEVERENDING beer thread, and the NEVERENDING wine thread is hiding here somewhere. It's only fitting that there should be a NEVERENDING cigar thread, for those who enjoy a good stogie from time to time. Pipe smoking should probably be considered on-topic here, too.

A few discussion ideas:

* What's your favorite shape?
    * What's your favorite everyday smoke?
    * What's the last dog rocket you had? How bad was it?
    * Is the reputation of Cuban sticks deserved, or are they overrated?
    * What are some good cigars for beginners?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Funny that you should mention that...

Number 50 on my 101 goals list is to smoke a Cuban Cigar... I will have that chance when I go to Ireland next spring. Beyond that, I know nothing about cigars.

I do know that I will never... EVER smoke a cigar with Bill Clinton.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm not versed in the brands, but generally, cigars come in two types. The first is the "with the guys" type, the second is the "slow down and enjoy" type.

Within the first type, I enjoy Swishers Sweets with wood tips. Within the second type, I like slow burning, tasty dark cigars.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not a big cigar smoker and could probably count the number of cigars i've smoked over the last two years on both hands. I therefore don't have an 'everyday' smoke and the times I do are more along the lines of being events. If anyone feels like buying me a box of Arturo Fuente Opus X please feel free to correct this situation.

I enjoy pipe smoking on occasion and have a brindisi 18 briar wood (I also got a 'Dr. Grabow' drug store pipe as a gift a couple years ago but haven't seen fit to use it). I smoke almost exclusively aromatic blends. Right now I've got a tin of Borkum Riff bourbon on the shelf, but also like their cherry cavendish.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I like pretty much an Dominican robusto with a maduro wrapper.

Fuentes
    La Unica

Cubans are way overrated.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    A bunch of high school buddies are coming over in a couple weeks for "TURD FEST" before our annual golf outing ( to honor a deceased classmate).

I hate the things . . .

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I smoked a couple Cubans two days ago on the golf course. They were okay, but I am not a huge aficiando like my uncle (who brought me the Cubans from Costa Rica).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    you can buy cubans online in canada and have em shipped here. they arent as exclusive as they once were, and like i said, the dominicans are better.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Cubans are way overrated.
    A lot of it depends on the year of the tobacco harvest. Dominicans tend to be more consistent and reliable, year after year. There's also diminishing returns; a $20 Cuban isn't going to be twice as good as a $10 Dominican.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I rarely smoke cigars. I make a habit of taking a few when I have an overnight canoe trip. Just to have something to do around the campfire. No particular type or brand, just whatever looks good at the ceegar shop.

There was this great fellow who was the foreman of my grandfather's farm who smoked Keep Moving cigars, which were very cheap stoogies. Actually he sort of chewed them and smoked them at the same time, so the cigars disappeared from both ends. He would give the boys the cigar boxes to store things boys collect - bugs, rubber bands, arrowheads and other treasures.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004

Oh sorry, wrong thread?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    He would give the boys the cigar boxes to store things boys collect - bugs, rubber bands, arrowheads and other treasures.

I would get those from my grandfather and store football/hockey cards, coins, and other neat stuff. (no, not my "stash"...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

While I generally like the smell of pipe smoke and some cigars.....I can't smoke them.....too gross for me.....I did sample a Romeo Y Julieta in England back in 1998....took a puff then let my best friend finish it in close proximity.....ha ha ha....

http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Romeo-y-Julieta.htm
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A couple of cigar deals. First, the chance for Americans who want to take a chance with violating the embargo; a Cuban from Canada for a buck.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Number 50 on my 101 goals list is to smoke a Cuban Cigar... I will have that chance when I go to Ireland next spring. Beyond that, I know nothing about cigars.
    Isn't it interesting that Republicans LOVE Cuban cigars. Anyhow, here's your chance.

http://www.cigar500.com/specials/ - enter code CA1000

The cigars offered include:

Cohiba Robusto
    Montecristo Edmundo
    Partagas Serie D No. 4
    Romeo y Julieta Romeo No. 2 Tubo
    Some Dominicans, but who cares

The sticks are free, with $1 shipping charged to a credit card. Limit one stick, although I'm sure you can probably find a way around it.

The offer seems legit; I saw it on one cigar-related message board. People are reporting that the cigars are arriving, and that they're not counterfeit. They claim to be an authorized Habanos distributor, and guarantee delivery to the US.

Screenshot:

Second: from Cigars International, a humidor plus a sampler of eight cigars for $20, shipped. I ordered it, and it arrived in eight days.

http://www.cigarsintl.com/SA7218

5 Vegas Gold Robusto (5" x 50)
    Carlos Torano Casa Torano Toro (6.1" x 50)
    Cienfuegos Blazer (6" x 52)
    Fonseca Serie F Robusto (5" x 52)
    Gurkha Ltd. Master Select Robusto #4 (6" x 52)
    Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Double Corona (7.5" x 52)
    Perdomo Reserve Sun Grown 'E' (6" x 54)
    Slow-Aged 826 by Perdomo Glorioso (6" x 52)
    Cigar Bands Mosaic Humidor (20 Capacity)

Many of these are Rocky Patel boutique cigars. CI may include some substitutes: I got a Reo instead of the Fonseca Series F Robusto.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Just added to the humidor:

C.A.O. Brasilia torpedo
    Onyx Reserve torpedo

Question to the gicar crowd: what's your thoughts on Te-Amo?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Im a fan of Ashton Cigars myself..

I like a cigar from time to time but they do not always agree with me, ashtons are smooth enough for me but also a good quality cigar

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Did you know you can get Cubans in Detroit? Just cross the bridge into Windsor. You're not missing out on much. They are over-rated.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

but I'm a nice girl, really I am!

During black fly season, I do smoke cigars to keep those little bastards off me while I'm outside

I usually bum some thin cigars (can't remember their name, a small white box, LOL ) off my husband and sometimes a Swisher Sweet does fine - always on the screened in porch, always on a summer night

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Did you know you can get Cubans in Detroit? Just cross the bridge into Windsor. You're not missing out on much. They are over-rated.
    The quality of Cuban cigars has diminished greatly over the past 20 years thanks to communist disctorship. Try a high quality Dominican, much better smoke... I reccommend a Dominican Cohiba

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Question to the gicar crowd: what's your thoughts on Te-Amo?

I had heard some very good things about Te Amo from way back. Never had one until a couple weeks ago when my office neighbor brought a couple in. I liked the idea of the Mexican tobacco, but in the event I found that it was not very good at all. Didn't burn well; rather flavorless--I would not recommend them. I mentioned that I tried one to the guy that runs the little cigar shop down the way and he just laughed. Apparently, the company has gone downhill from their heyday back in the 60s.

Registered
    Jan 2008

deserves

I think the casual or beginning cigar person deserves the Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real, flavorful to beyond mid draw and very predictable in the world of organic (plant) variation.

My preferred shape is the robusto because it maintains a constant temperature and consistent flavor. Connecticut wrapper (US grown or Nicaraguan) is nice!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Was cleaning house this weekend and found an old A.Fuente Corona Imperial still in the wrapper in a long forgotten box in the basement. By 'old' I'm guessing it dates back to maybe 2002 or 2003.

You think it's still any good?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Was cleaning house this weekend and found an old A.Fuente Corona Imperial still in the wrapper in a long forgotten box in the basement. By 'old' I'm guessing it dates back to maybe 2002 or 2003.

You think it's still any good?
    In my (very limited) experience with "old" cigars, I've found that they do not burn evenly/very well.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    In my (very limited) experience with "old" cigars, I've found that they do not burn evenly/very well.
    The fact that it was found in the basement gives me a little hope. Okay, it's not a humidor but it's definitely damp and cool. With my luck it'll have mold on the inside, but I guess there's only one way to find out if it's any good, though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    you can try and bring it back by putting it in a Ziploc bag with a small moist sponge - no grantees - ask the resident cigar expert dvdneal
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 497
    Last post: 22 Jul 2014, 10:54 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING getting old thread