Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accents

Registered
    Jan 2005

Accents

If I were from Scotland, I would talk to myself all the time. And think I was sexy....

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO8
    Last edited by Maister; 25 Apr 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    If I were from Scotland, I would talk to myself all the time. And think I was sexy....
    As accents go, I tend to think Scottish is one of the more annoying ones out there, what with all the glottal stops. For sexy accents give me Italian or Swedish any day.

Although when it comes down to it, I suppose 'sexy' probably has more to do with the speaker than any dipthongs or fricatives
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    As accents go, I tend to think Scottish is one of the more annoying ones out there, what with all the glottal stops. For sexy accents give me Italian or Swedish any day.

Although when it comes down to it, I suppose 'sexy' probably has more to do with the speaker than any dipthongs or fricatives
    Well yea, I talk in my crappy English and think I am sexy... so really the accent is more because I think it is cool...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    There's a lot of unpleasant American accents, but having lived around the country, the all-around most unpleasant has to be the language of my people - Inland North/NCVS, Western New York edition.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There's a lot of unpleasant American accents, but having lived around the country, the all-around most unpleasant has to be the language of my people - Inland North/NCVS, Western New York edition.
    Yeah, I heard you 'do' that eyaccent that one time in Ann Arbor, and I have to agree - highly annoying.

Which raises another question - if you were 'doing' an accent, how come you speak 'normally' (as in the way I do), considering that funny accent is the "language of your people"?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Boston accents can get pretty annoying but the upstate/western NY accent takes it to a whole other level. It is just so nasal sounding.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Southern accents can range from sweet and sultry to annoying as well. It may have something to do with what you are saying as well.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    About a month ago at my mom's funeral, all of her family was there - real Cajuns. My cousins have great Cajun accents - not too heavy. It is an accent that works well in telling stories, something Cajuns are very good at. There is something flirtatious, teasing and mildly disreputable about the way Cajuns speak. They sound like they are trying to sell you something, seduce you or lead you astray, and you so want to go along.

If the Devil had a Cajun accent, he would have more converts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Southern accents can range from sweet and sultry to annoying as well....
    I totally agree. I had a woman working for me that has the former. I thought she was hitting on me each time she spoke. A guy currently working for me that has the latter. His voice makes my ears bleed.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My accent has some residual Southern in it. I try not to speak the local "yinzer". People here are proud of it, but I think it makes the speaker sound unintelligent.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've been told I have a pretty pronounced Chicago accent, particularly by people in other parts of the country. I don't think I sound like Bill Swerski's Superfans or anything, but I guess it must be noticeable enough.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO8
    I love Scottish accents... even though they are sometimes difficult to understand.

My husband's new boss is from Scotland. He's having a get-together for staff at his apartment this weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing him talk.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I dated an Australian for 4 years. I went and lived with her family in Australia for 4 months. I am pretty certain that for me, if I had to pick an accent I would pick Australian. It is sexy, dirty, and somehow ends with ah for everything....

"Good on ya. I'll have a wat-ah with my hambug-ah".

It is all that is good about the British english, except better teeth

My accent has evolved into a mashup between upper midwest and the local southern accent. A good female southern accent is as honey sweet as it gets. Also an educated southern accent-think Shelby Foote, sounds great. NOLA has a unique accent.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    least favorite accent - the affected uptalk - question at the end of a phrase that should have a period kind of accent - sends me into the overhang for sure

favorite accent - I agree with Hink, Australia (and Hink, that story needs more expansion, sounds like a hilarious time in your young life!)

as I just posted in the intro thread on someone else - my accent is a weird blend of Syracuse/Boston with a hint of New England - once I had a linguist ask me if I was from philadelphia so yeah - my Syracuse accent comes out more when I am a little bit nervous in a meeting and my Boston accent comes out more when I am pissed off or tipsy (LOL)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    . . . NOLA has a unique accent.
    Yeah you rite. F'sure. Where y'at? I'm awrite. And how's yore mamma and them?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    as I just posted in the intro thread on someone else - my accent is a weird blend of Syracuse/Boston with a hint of New England - once I had a linguist ask me if I was from philadelphia so yeah - my Syracuse accent comes out more when I am a little bit nervous in a meeting and my Boston accent comes out more when I am pissed off or tipsy (LOL)
    I often get asked if I am from Canada. My accent used to be a weird blend of central NY, Western NY, New England, and Southern.

MP, can I crash the party with you so I can listen to Mr. Bossman speak?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    As a native of that region, I have grown to love the accent. When I was in England, I began adopting traits of an RP accent. My English friends insisted I talk in my WNY accent because they found it "charming."

Registered
    Jun 2009
    When I first left Chicago I used to have people tell me they could hear a Chicago accent all the time. I must have lost it after I moved and lived in downstate IL for 13+ years. I moved to the southwest and nobody ever tells me I have an accent. It's funny, because now I can hear it in my sister who still lives back in Chicago and I sometimes poke fun at her for it.

I love a good southern accent on an educated southern woman. But nothing beats a British or Australian accent on an attractive woman.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have a western twang. I have lost it over time, but every time I go "home" for a visit or talk on the phone to family in that area, Mrs Katt claims I get the twang back.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have now been informed by Mrs Katt that every time she hears my twang she expects me to morph back into cowboy boots and hat like when she first me

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I'm told by my British friends that I have a "Canadian Accent". I personally can't hear any changes in the way I speak compared to how they talk in Hollywood... but apparently we speak a little different here in BC. All across Canada I find it quite difficult to differentiate anyone's accents (with the exception of that weird Newfie accent they have going in the East). I quite dislike most Southern accents. I enjoy most UK ones.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So last night on Antique Roadshow I heard the strongest Boston accent (pahk the cah in the yahd) I have ever heard. Painful, really.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well

I'm from Colorado.....so I don't have an accent.....unless marble mouth counts. The rest of you sound like the chipmunks to me
    Last edited by The One; 28 Oct 2014 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Dan mumbled something about changing this post....who knows what he said though....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Coming from Arizona I have no accent. Moving to Kansas I get to hear the occasional midwest accent, not everyone has it. When you hear it it makes the guy sound drunk and stupid.

In all my fun travels around Europe, I'll take a French accent. When women speak it you just want to...well, you know. When men speak it though, you just want to punch them in their stupid face. My experience is the first encounter leads to the second.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Dialects & Accents
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2005, 12:09 AM
  2. Canadian Accents
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Nov 2004, 4:37 AM
  3. Replies: 13