Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Berkeley summer [in]stitute?

Registered
    Sep 2012

Berkeley summer [in]stitute?

Does anyone have familiarity with the Berkeley's [in]stitutes? They're branded as 6 week introductions into urban planning and architecture, but they are not for credit, do not "fast track" you into Berkeley (not surprisingly), and carry a hefty price tag of ~$3000. I don't have any experience with UP (applying for any even remotely related entry level jobs right now to gain experience) and so am exploring even pricey ways of building up my repertoire.

Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by onceandfuture View post
    Does anyone have familiarity with the Berkeley's [in]stitutes? They're branded as 6 week introductions into urban planning and architecture, but they are not for credit, do not "fast track" you into Berkeley (not surprisingly), and carry a hefty price tag of ~$3000. I don't have any experience with UP (applying for any even remotely related entry level jobs right now to gain experience) and so am exploring even pricey ways of building up my repertoire.

Thanks!
    IMHO if your parents are rich and won't have a cow, go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by onceandfuture View post
    I don't have any experience with UP (applying for any even remotely related entry level jobs right now to gain experience) and so am exploring even pricey ways of building up my repertoire.

Thanks!
    If you don't have a master's degree yet, better off getting a degree and using the 3K for at least 1/2 year of tuition. This job market will ill afford someone with no planning background for an entry level job.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2012
    My friends in their phd tell me basically programs that you have to pay for are a money grab. Highly sought after students are given grants or funding and that is what admission committees look at favorably. My advice is save that $3000 and spend that time studying or getting volunteer experience.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Apr 2011, 8:46 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Nov 2010, 2:54 AM
  3. Greetings from Berkeley, CA
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 5:28 PM
  4. Berkeley?
    Student Commons