Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia dispute resolution services 12-7-12 edition

Registered
    Feb 2004

Cyburbia dispute resolution services 12-7-12 edition

So at lunchtime I got involved in a debate (with a very very smart mofo who just happens to be dead wrong in this case) about the meaning of the term 'fanboy'. Mr. Smartypants insists the term simply means someone who is both knowlegable and an ardently enthusiastic supporter of something. Period. I don't disagree with the knowlegable and enthusiastic thing, but feel the definition is incomplete. What he described in my view qualifies simply as a 'fan'. I believe with 'fanboys' there is an implicit element of social awkwardness, and that a fanboy might even be a subset of 'geek'. A fanboy, IMHO, behaves in an inapproporiate or socially frowned-upon manner.

Who do you agree with?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Not all fanboys will behave inappropriately. However if you find someone acting that way, chances are they are a fanboy.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So at lunchtime I got involved in a debate (with a very very smart mofo who just happens to be dead wrong in this case) about the meaning of the term 'fanboy'. Mr. Smartypants insists the term simply means someone who is both knowlegable and an ardently enthusiastic supporter of something. Period. I don't disagree with the knowlegable and enthusiastic thing, but feel the definition is incomplete. What he described in my view qualifies simply as a 'fan'. I believe with 'fanboys' there is an implicit element of social awkwardness, and that a fanboy might even be a subset of 'geek'. A fanboy, IMHO, behaves in an inapproporiate or socially frowned-upon manner.

Who do you agree with?
    I think you are both missing the key component of fanboydom in that it denotes one who is downright obsessive about whatever the subject is. "Ardently enthusiastic" doesn't quite do the obsessiveness justice. However, sometimes their singular focus causes them to lose sight of the bigger picture.

I have a friend who is a definite Simpsons fanboy. He is extremely knowledgeable about the topic and he is definitely socially awkward - should a 34-year-old who lives with his parents be going on and on about The Simpsons when trying to chat up the hot DJ at our bowling alley on league night? His knowledge is downright scary - he can tell you the names of all the episodes in order, who wrote each episode, who the guest stars were (if there were any), which characters made their first appearances in which episodes, etc., etc. However, he often misses out on the allusions in the episodes to classic works of literature, television, film, or stage.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think you are both missing the key component of fanboydom in that it denotes one who is downright obsessive about whatever the subject is. "Ardently enthusiastic" doesn't quite do the obsessiveness justice. However, sometimes their singular focus causes them to lose sight of the bigger picture.

I have a friend who is a definite Simpsons fanboy. He is extremely knowledgeable about the topic and he is definitely socially awkward - should a 34-year-old who lives with his parents be going on and on about The Simpsons when trying to chat up the hot DJ at our bowling alley on league night? His knowledge is downright scary - he can tell you the names of all the episodes in order, who wrote each episode, who the guest stars were (if there were any), which characters made their first appearances in which episodes, etc., etc. However, he often misses out on the allusions in the episodes to classic works of literature, television, film, or stage.
    So what I hear you saying is that you're a fanman when it comes to the Simpsons?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I agree that there is some level of social awkwardness implied, but I think a key distinction relates to the knowledge aspect. A fanboy is often incredibly knowledgeable about his own team, but not very knowledgeable about other teams. He is also overly-optimistic when optimism isn't always warranted, because his loyalty to the team and players blinds him to their weaknesses/shortcomings.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I agree that there is some level of social awkwardness implied, but I think a key distinction relates to the knowledge aspect. A fanboy is often incredibly knowledgeable about his own team, but not very knowledgeable about other teams. He is also overly-optimistic when optimism isn't always warranted, because his loyalty to the team and players blinds him to their weaknesses/shortcomings.
    Yes
    Both a fan and a fanboy will always support their team no matter what, but you can have a discussion with a 'fan' about say weak players, coaching mistakes or weak seasons. No such dialogue is possible with a fanboy.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2005
    In my experience fanboy sometimes has an overly-enthusiastic, under-knowledgeable vibe to it. Often "fanboi" is used instead for this sense. Like WSU MUP Student's Simpsons fan who may not see the subtext, but even worse than that. Like Maister's sports fan who can't see the weaknesses of their team, or only knows the conventional wisdom talked about on sports radio.

This is often seen in the gun culture where newbies, often teenagers, go off to great lengths about technical subjects or their combat experience, when their only real experience is video games or training videos. HK-fanboys or Magpul-fanboys being common types. The net has made this faking or over-opinionation easier to pull off due to the vast amount of basic info at one's fingertips. Luckily it also makes busting them easier as well, because you can often get away (or at least not get called on) with a whopper when chatting at the local social spot, but any populous place on the net probably has people who really are what you are pretending to be.

The converse is the quiet type who really does know most everything about a subject, but is usually found listening instead of spouting off, in case they can learn more. A convenient self-deprecating shorthand for this is RKI, for Reasonably Knowlegeable Individual.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    In my experience fanboy sometimes has an overly-enthusiastic, under-knowledgeable vibe to it.
    This is how I always interpreted it. I typically associate it with people who just blindly and enthusiastically support a particular brand or product over another. Common ones I can think of are Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360, iOS vs. Android, and Apple vs. everything else. Ultimately these are just decisions of preference but a fanboy will try to convince you (and themselves) that their choice was superior.

Registered
    May 2005
    I think fanboys should unite and call themselves the North American Fanboy Love Association….
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2008
    According to the analysis I've read here, I'm a Cyburbia fanboi.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    It's entirely too much work being a fanboy of anything.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Skinny jeans are a prerequisite I think.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    It's entirely too much work being a fanboy of anything.
    I agree. I have a hard enough time keeping up with pop culture to deal with the crap that comes out these days.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Old & CRS.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Think of the concatenation of the word: fan + boy. Then consider context.

A 9 year old expressing sympathy to his friends for Anakin Skywalker as he succumbs to Darth Sidious's lies at the confrontation with Mace Windu is probably an acceptable converstion when overheard as a casual observer. No one would mistake the boy for being a boy, so it would be redundant to call that boy a "fanboy." In fact, it should be rather obvious the boy is a "fan" of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

A 39 year old man expressing sympathy for Anakin Skywalker as he succumbs to Darth Sidious's lies at the confrontation with Mace Windu is probably an unacceptable converstion because his boss or wife might overhear him. No one would understand what what he was talking about, except that a "darth" reference might invoke some warm memories, ever so faint, now fleeting, and why is he still going on and on about Star Wars? Forever alone. While seemingly ironic, calling him a "boy" - as in "fanboy" - is in fact just that, yet perhaps it is more apt.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Then certain subsets of fanboys even have names. The most bizarre are probably bronies. Grown men who like My Little Pony.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Then certain subsets of fanboys even have names. The most bizarre are probably bronies. Grown men who like My Little Pony.
    Okay. we learned something new today. That's very, um, interesting.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Saw an article on it a while back. Was surprised too.

My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ‘Bronies’

Registered
    May 2005
    My 60+ year old Code Enforcement Officer is becoming an Apple fanboy before my very eyes. It's reminds me of when I absolutely had to have the Sega Genesis back in the early 90's. Quite amusing.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Jan 2013, 9:11 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 06 Feb 2012, 8:29 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 10 Jan 2012, 6:03 PM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last post: 31 Aug 2011, 10:18 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Mar 2004, 8:29 PM