Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: At Walgreen, renouncing corporate citizenship

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008

At Walgreen, renouncing corporate citizenship

The state gave Walgreen $46 million in corporate income tax credits over 10 years in exchange for a pledge to create 500 jobs and invest in upgrading its offices. The state also provided $625,000 in training money and $875,000 in other tax incentives.
    It seems that localities are always looking to provide "incentives" for big business to come into an area—at the expense of existing small business—only to have them leave again when they get a better deal somewhere else. Would those millions have been better-spent by spreading it among existing small business to help them grow to provide those 500 new jobs?

What say you all?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    My community (not Greensburg) will do just about anything to attract a big box store. It is becoming apparent that no one cares what big box, any big box will do.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am not a fan of giving big box stores tax breaks to locate in a community. I think that whether or not they get the tax breaks or other incentives, they are probably going to locate in the community because they have done the research about the local market.

Giving tax breaks to manufacturing makes sense in many cases.

I don't subscribe to small and local is good, and big and national is bad. I've lamented Petco driving the local pet store out of business, but the crickets for the gecko are the same regardless. Local or regional groceries have better meat and bakery sections and I shop there for those products. But I don't see paying extra for everything else when I can get the same products cheaper at Walmart.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by darnoldy View post

It seems that localities are always looking to provide "incentives" for big business to come into an area—at the expense of existing small business—only to have them leave again when they get a better deal somewhere else. Would those millions have been better-spent by spreading it among existing small business to help them grow to provide those 500 new jobs?

What say you all?
    Right. It's wrong. Several good books have been written about these taxpayer-funded subsidies.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning Vs. Corporate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:28 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jan 2013, 12:42 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 28 Jan 2009, 5:27 PM
  4. How important is U.S. citizenship?
    Career Development and Advice