Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Shane from Windsor Ontario

Registered
    Dec 2012

Shane from Windsor Ontario

Good evening.

My name is Shane. I am currently a project manager at an Architectural Firm.
    I have a 3 year college diploma in Architecture, and I've been in the field for 8 years.

I have been an armchair urban planner for years now. Although I love architecture, my interest has shifted to planning after reading my share of Jane Jacobs, Howard Kunstler, Andres Dauny, Ken Greenberg, etc. etc.
    I am the chairman of my neighbourhoods resident's association - Olde Walkerville; a neighbourhood with 150 years of history.
    Though the residents association we hosted Chuck Marohn of Strong Towns to lecture here in Windsor and had over 100 guests including: citizens, councillors and planners.
    I have also been working with the local chapter of the OAA to assist local BIA groups and to host lecture series as described above.

So.... My college has a transfer agreement with Lawrence Tech in Southfield Michigan and I can finish my bachelors in Arch in 12mts.
    After this I plan to attend either a Canadian or American college and get a masters in planning.

I have a love of cities. I love my city of Windsor, but hope to make some positive change.
    I hope to be able to connect with some practicing planners on this site and get some advice about getting into planning as a career.

Best Regards

Shane - Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York and good luck on your pursuit of a planning degree!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome Shane from Windsor. My family history actually goes back to to Vital Ouellette, so I have a soft spot for Windsor. Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hello from across the River! Transit Windsor has a stop right in front of my office.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2012
    I attempted to add a photo to my profile.
    Doesn't seem to be an option when I edit my profile... Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    Shane

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think you have to have a certain number of posts to post pics and such

But welcome just the same from the western Maine Lakes region!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    I suspected as such.. i just wanted to make sure that was the case and i wasn't missing something.
    Thanks!!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Sep 2013, 2:59 PM
  2. Hello from Maple, Ontario
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 8:13 PM
  3. hello from Ontario
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1