Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Watch Robert Moses talk about city planning on this old TV show

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Watch Robert Moses talk about city planning on this old TV show

Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Thanks for posting this. One thing that struck me was his knowledge about all aspects of road construction all throughout the country until one of the interviewers asked him a question regarding the number of residences that would be displaced for a New York expressway project. It took him awhile before he casually stated 10 thousand people, as if it was an afterthought of the roadways design.
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Moses clearly didn't like density or mass transit as the answer. He is the reason buses can't navigate the narrow lanes and low bridges of the LI Expressway.

As I was driving on the Parkway and I-280 in Newark NJ last week I couldn't help but think of block after block that was leveled, utilities ripped out, and neighborhoods divided just to install a subterranean highway that was never covered over.

That interview was very telling to why we have the problems we do today. The thought pattern between Moses and his cohorts of the time drew the battle line between developing the nation as one geared to the automobile or building it for ease of use versus mass transit and density and ease of use by the humans.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Moses clearly didn't like density or mass transit as the answer. He is the reason buses can't navigate the narrow lanes and low bridges of the LI Expressway.

As I was driving on the Parkway and I-280 in Newark NJ last week I couldn't help but think of block after block that was leveled, utilities ripped out, and neighborhoods divided just to install a subterranean highway that was never covered over.

That interview was very telling to why we have the problems we do today. The thought pattern between Moses and his cohorts of the time drew the battle line between developing the nation as one geared to the automobile or building it for ease of use versus mass transit and density and ease of use by the humans.
    Good points - I think of Moses when I think how infrastructure and roads are durable and shape the built environment; mistakes like these take a long time to fix, and the "market" won't do it either.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Comparing the talk show hosts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 May 2012, 10:44 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 11:52 AM
  3. The Late Night Talk Show Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 22 Jan 2010, 12:38 PM