Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Frymasters international

Registered
    May 2005

Frymasters international

We've been trying for a year to make good homemade sweet potato fries. But nothing we do to them results in the crispness that you find in a store-bought or restaurant version. We've baked them a few times, but with no luck.

Last night, I pan fried them in some oil. They were a little better, but still not that great.

What's the trick people??

P.S. The oil made the house reek.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO7

I gather the technique actually differs somewhat from standard french fries. Anywho, here is a link I found that purports to be the ideal way to do it (disclaimer: never tried it myself).

Let's face facts: fried food is the best tasting food in the world. It's too bad about how the stuff kills you. I would eat nothing but french fries and bacon if I could. nom nom nom...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I don't know what kind of oil you are using. For food to be fried crisp and not soggy requires cooking quickly at a high temperature, so you need an oil with a high smoke point, such as canola, sunflower or safflower oils. These oils can take 450 degrees, though you don't need to crank it up that high. Some flavored oils, such as avacado and almond can take more heat.

Get the oil to the temperature you want before you put the food in the oil. Don't put too much food in at once, because this causes the temperature of the oil to drop dramatcially. You don't want this because the oil does not seal the outside of the food quickly, so you get soggier and oiler food. Make sure the wedges are not so thick that the inside isn't cooked before the outside is too brown.

Frying is tough. A dance between getting the oil hot enough but not too hot. Using a thermometer and not over-loading the frying pan are the two biggest factors to successful frying.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    For any potato I always wash thoroughly first. Get rid of as much starch as possible. Cut them into the desired size and wash. Wash three times even.

I have found that a light coating in flour/corn starch mix really does wonders for the frying process. 400 degree oil for 7 minutes or so...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I have found that a light coating in flour/corn starch mix really does wonders for the frying process. 400 degree oil for 7 minutes or so...
    I saw this on a cooking show.

Regular fries can be fried twice; once for cooking and once, at a higher temp, for crisping. Frites.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love sweet potato fries but don't think I've ever even had a crispy one at a restaurant. I think the sweet potato is just too thick and dense to get really crisp. When I make them at home, I put them on a metal rack on the baking sheet to help raise them up a bit so they cook more evenly and that seems to work well for us. I've also found that the thinner I can slice them, the better.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Jul 2013, 11:11 PM
  2. International representation?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 May 2009, 10:40 AM
  3. Masters International
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Mar 2008, 2:43 PM