Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your personal boycotts

Registered
    Feb 2004

Your personal boycotts

Let's just get all the cards on the table....where won't you shop and whose products won't you buy and most importantly why. Go.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, I had a 14 boycott of Taco Bell going till this past March, then resumed it immediately.

The food is terrible and sits in you like a rock.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    o Walmart: role in poverty and race to the bottom
    o Exxon: Valdez oil spill
    o BP: Gulf spill
    o Shell: treatment of natives in Africa
    o CitiBank: top funder of environmental destruction
    o On-line traders like E*Trade: their job is to take your money
    o Industrial chemicals for pesticide and herbicide: bad .

Surely there are more, just can't think of them.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2002
    Chik-fil-a, the American Cancer Society, and the Salvation Army for their politics.
    Toyota because I come from a General Motors family!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    May 2005
    I honestly can't think of a single thing I boycott. Sure, there are places/things I do not prefer, but it doesn't rise to the level of a boycott. And there are things I do not associate with, but those are not everyday things.

I guess I don't have a backbone.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Chick Fil A
    Wal Mart (unless there is NO alternative where I am at, very rare)
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Recently I added Chick-fil-a and Papa John's to my list (thanks to their politics), but quite honestly I lack the time and resources to investigate every single product and service out there to boycott even a tithe of the bad guys out there that probably deserve to be boycotted.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Exxon - Like ColoGI, I haven't knowingly purchased any of their products since the Valdez disaster. Like Maister, I just don't have the time or energy to ferret out most offenders. I do try to shop locally whenever possible. If somebody local pisses me off, I don't go back.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I honestly can't think of a single thing I boycott. Sure, there are places/things I do not prefer, but it doesn't rise to the level of a boycott. And there are things I do not associate with, but those are not everyday things.

I guess I don't have a backbone.
    I feel the same way. I will use the competitor (such as shopping at Target over Walmart) but I do not think of it as some sort of personal stand against a company. My dislike for some companies usually boils down to their quality of service and or products available. Some of the companies I choose to not shop at just happen to have political opinions that are contrary to mine.

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I do try to shop locally whenever possible. If somebody local pisses me off, I don't go back.
    Same here.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Just the one location of a local Tex-Mex restaurant chain that gave me food poisoning years and years ago...of course, it's been over 15 years since I've been in that particular part of town at meal time, so that helps. As for the rest of it (boycotting because you don't like a company's politics, etc.) - meh.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Veal - animal cruelty

Dark chocolate - gives me migraines

Those are the only boycotts I can remember.

Like Ofos, I do try to shop locally whenever possible. If somebody local pisses me off, I might actually say something, rather than writing off the entire chain.

I used to avoid fast food for health reasons, but now there are some some-what healthy options, so I'm a little more willing to eat at Wendy's or Chipolte than before.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Papa Johns because I got food poisoning twice from them and I hate their commercials. If I hate the commercial or ad for a product or service I will boycott until I stop seeing that ad. Wal-Mart is the only company I boycott because of politics. Wal-mart has filed several friend of the court brief to close US factories and move the jobs overseas.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Nike
    Reebok
    Wal Mart & Sam's Club
    Citgo
    Exxon
    All Credit Card Companies
    Bank of America
    Burger King
    McDonald's (Except when I stop for coffee or if there is no other choice)
    Citi Bank
    Comcast
    ATT Mobility (Phone Division)
    JP Morgan Chase
    Charter Communications
    Dow Chemical (Direct products)
    Monsanto (Direct products)

Hard part is some of these companies also supply stuff for other companies, such as Dow and Monsanto, but we try to avoid those situations as much as possible.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Bank of America
    I can't believe I didn't think of that. BoA can die in a fire.

AT&T can do the same.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Businesses that willfully violate local/state codes but then call me up to yell at me for a half hour and blame me for ruining the economy.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Businesses that willfully violate local/state codes but then call me up to yell at me for a half hour and blame me for ruining the economy.
    Oh yea... them too. (particular pizza place!)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    There is a specific jeweler who I tell people not to frequent... even though his business is in our jurisdiction. Look if you flaunt the fact that you won't follow the rules, I am not going to be nice to you...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think Paypal is the only thing I explicitly avoid. I do have reservations about going to Walmart, Chick-fill-a, and Papa Johns but I won't go out of my way to avoid them. Chick-fill-a and Papa Johns I never ate at anyway so not really difficult to continue avoiding them. Walmart is a completely different beast though. They're just so dominant in the areas where I've lived that it's really hard to not use them. Like we have one crappy Target versus four massive Super Walmarts.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I think Paypal is the only thing I explicitly avoid.
    Why do you avoid Paypal? I know nothing about them either way, was just wondering if there's something I should know.

I will never, ever get Comcast service again, they have the worst customer service ever.

We don't have Walmart, Chick-Fil-A, or Papa John's nearby but I'd choose other businesses over them if we did.

I'd like to boycott Facebook but I would miss out on photos from friends and family.

Registered
    May 2004
    Wal Mart
    Bank of America
    Chic Fil A

For all the reasons mentioned by others.

Also, Shell Oil if I can avoid it due to the fact that they murder natives in Africa
    Red Lobster for their role in destruction of South American mangrove forests

I would love to boycott the Kochs but they are too big.

I also locally boycott any place that puts up signs telling libruls and Obama to go to hell (we have a small few businesses here that do this)
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Nike
    Reebok
    Wal Mart & Sam's Club
    Citgo
    Exxon
    All Credit Card Companies
    Bank of America
    Burger King
    McDonald's (Except when I stop for coffee or if there is no other choice)
    Citi Bank
    Comcast
    ATT Mobility (Phone Division)
    JP Morgan Chase
    Charter Communications
    Dow Chemical (Direct products)
    Monsanto (Direct products)

Hard part is some of these companies also supply stuff for other companies, such as Dow and Monsanto, but we try to avoid those situations as much as possible.
    Monsanto and Dow are like two of the most deserving of boycotts but also impossible to boycott. They are a great example of why some limits on corporate size and power.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Recently I added Chick-fil-a and Papa John's to my list.
    Same here...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I view my shopping habits as voting with my dollars, so I try to be careful about what businesses I endorse. This is particularly important right now since corporations have enormous political power and are using the dollars we hand over to them to gain a greater market advantage and to shape and influence our political environment.

I will not shop at any business that donates to anti-gay causes. I also actively select businesses that practice equality in the workplace vs those that do not when I have a to select between similar businesses.

This takes a lot of time and effort, but considering that the effort directly impacts my life, it is time well spent. The political climate is changing all the time too, and businesses sometimes change their policies due to public pressure. I cannot say I am always 100% current on this, but there are lots of cheat-sheets out there for quick reference.

HRC provides a great shopping guide to minimize the amount of time it takes to research this myself.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    United Way. They, at the very least, condone, or at the very worst, encourage, employers strong-arming employees into "100% participation".

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Walmart - as much as possible
    MSNBC
    Axe Products
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast