Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are sweatpants the new jeans?

Registered
    Nov 2009

Are sweatpants the new jeans?

Reading the flight-experience thread got me thinking about how so many people wear what I consider "lounging around the house" or "I have the flu" clothes as normal, everyday attire nowadays.

I could ramble on for days about how so many people wear sweatpants in public all the time now. I just ran into someone this weekend at a kind of yuppy-ish grocery market I sometimes go to for odds and ends. She was wearing sweatpants with holes in them, a mismatched sweatshirt, a sweatshirt material coat, and a stocking cap. She was embarrassed by her appearance, evidenced by the way she kept rattling on about how she looks. It was pretty funny to me because I had literally just finished having a conversation with MW about how everyone wears "lounge" clothes all the time now.

Another example, definitely more extreme, though I didn't know the person, occurred just a few weeks ago when MW and I went to court so I could gain custody of our son. The person exiting the courtroom before we entered was wearing sweatpants and a stained t-shirt.... to court. Seriously.

Don't people own or wear normal clothes anymore? It seems like sweatpants are the new jeans.

Edit: I know I sound a bit snobbish, but I'm a touch old fashioned when it comes to certain things... like wearing clothes in public.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think we have determined that you no longer have to worry about what people will think... who cares if you look like a slob when you go out, I am not putting on a show for them.

Then people complain about restaurants having standards... to me I think you should always dress up (at least reasonably) when you go out. If you are going to the grocery you might end up with Curtis Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Home_Chef) who always said "so the next time you go to the market, make sure you dress up".

I just think it is always better to have people think you are prissy then slobbish....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I do wear a pair of yoga pants to the grocery store or Target on the weekend, but they are not schlumpy or tatty. I may wear a hoodie and tshirt as well. I often wear jeans and a hoodie to work but I spend about 40% of my time in the field on construction sites so I don't want to ruin my good clothes or freeze in the winter. If I have meetings or other things to do I wear professional attire.

I've seen all kinds of get ups in court since I am a frequent flyer in code enforcement court-the court maintains you must tuck your shirt in if you are a man and pull your pants up but anything else goes. My partner had to go to court for an old motor vehicle violation and I made him put on dress pants, shirt and tie for his appearance. The first words out of the judge's mouth were "thank you for making the effort to appear in court well dressed, your respect of the court and bench is duly noted"

Sometimes I shake my head at some of the outfits people wear to job interviews as well. This isn't a club, this isn't the beach. Not everyone has means, but there's no excuse that you can't come in clean, pressed attire that is in good condition.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I think we have determined that you no longer have to worry about what people will think... who cares if you look like a slob when you go out, I am not putting on a show for them.

Then people complain about restaurants having standards... to me I think you should always dress up (at least reasonably) when you go out. If you are going to the grocery you might end up with Curtis Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Home_Chef) who always said "so the next time you go to the market, make sure you dress up".

I just think it is always better to have people think you are prissy then slobbish....
    I never wear sweatpants or gym shorts out. I'm either in jeans during the cold weather or khaki shorts during the warm weather.

I'm stereotyping here, but the people I see wearing sweatpants and pajama pants out usually appear to be on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum. I also think it has something to do with the expanding waistlines of our country.

You never want to be the one that is under dressed. It happened to me once at a work thing a while back and I vowed it would never happen again.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I never wear sweatpants or gym shorts out. I'm either in jeans during the cold weather or khaki shorts during the warm weather.

I'm stereotyping here, but the people I see wearing sweatpants and pajama pants out usually appear to be on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum. I also think it has something to do with the expanding waistlines of our country.

You never want to be the one that is under dressed. It happened to me once at a work thing a while back and I vowed it would never happen again.
    Mee three.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I was immediately reminded of the classic Homer wears a muumuu episode.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	homer_muumuu-224x300.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	5069
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Our office building is next door to the Courts - I agree with kjel the way some people dress - you really expect to taken earnstly ?

I remember when men wore a jacket and tie when they were flying.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Guess I'm one of those slobs who wears sweats everywhere I can get away with it. I don't even own a pair of jeans. If someone wants to judge me based on my appearances then go right ahead.

sayyy, that muumuu thing looks pretty comfortable, I'll have to look into those sometime
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Guess I'm one of those slobs who wears sweats everywhere. I don't even own a pair of jeans. If someone wants to judge me based on my appearances then go right ahead.

sayyy, that muumuu thing looks pretty comfortable, I'll have to look into those sometime
    I wonder if some of it has to do with my wife. My wife would rather die than leave the house without a shower and putting nice clothes on. Maybe dudes take the cue from their significant other. I'm sure if my wife dressed down, I probably would too.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Guess I'm one of those slobs who wears sweats everywhere. I don't even own a pair of jeans. If someone wants to judge me based on my appearances then go right ahead.

Now come on, we haven't even needed to see you to judge you.

p.s. I think the muumuu would be perfect for someone of your amplitude.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Over the past few years I have been progressing away from casual when I go anywhere. In the UP, people look at you in a weird way if you walk into a grocery store dressed up. But down here, I have worn my suit into all sorts of places because I chose not to change before going some place. I feel better when I am business casual or above. In the summer, it is khaki shorts and a polo or button up shirt of I am going out for dinner. However, if I am hanging out at home, it might be a t-shirt.

Right now, I have been wearing jeans on days that I don't work, but it is often with a button up shirt, polo, or sweater. But I have been thinking about buying more khakis.

I do not own any sweatpants.

I have seen shoes go the same way. People think it is ok to wear athletic shoes everywhere. Instead I rather invest in a great fitting black or brown leather dress shoe.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wonder if some of it has to do with my wife. My wife would rather die than leave the house without a shower and putting nice clothes on. Maybe dudes take the cue from their significant other. I'm sure if my wife dressed down, I probably would too.
    I think you have a pretty promising hypothesis....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My wife would not be caught dead without first putting on nice clothes before going someplace like a hardware store or fast food place. Hopefully, I fall into that eccentric genius category so of course people half expect to see me show up to an art opening wearing paint splattered sweats, sandals, and a 'Stones '82 World Tour' t-shirt. That's just how I roll mofo's
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Another example, definitely more extreme, though I didn't know the person, occurred just a few weeks ago when MW and I went to court so I could gain custody of our son. The person exiting the courtroom before we entered was wearing sweatpants and a stained t-shirt.... to court. Seriously.
    I have noticed a growing trend of wearing PJ bottoms. It could be worse.

I agree with you. People should dress as they expect to be treated. Dress like a slob you have no right to complain that the judge is a jerk.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have been spending considerably more time recently thinking about this issue and noticing how people are dressed. MW and I are in the process of buying a new wardrobe for a very special kid (I mentioned him before when we trying to buy him a christmas present and I wasn't sure if an 11 year old could solder) and trying to teach him to dress and act the way he wants to be treated by others. His mother and grandparents all wear sweatpants and lounge clothes everywhere. The few bits of decent clothing that the boy owns are too small and/or his mother steals from him and wears them into the ground. She also never does laundry, but dirtiness is another issue. He has grown accustomed to not having anything nice and as a result, doesn't appreciate the value of nice clothes or shoes.

This past week we took him shopping and told him to pick out a few pairs of pants and some new winter shirts. When we picked him up for the weekend he was wearing a t-shirt, ripped up jeans, a sweatshirt type jacket thing, and shoes so small that his feet were covered in blisters. It was 34 degrees outside. He looked sloppy and cold.

He had a really hard time picking out clothes and shoes. We tried not to force our own styles on him, but he also needs some positive role models on how to dress in public. Anyway, after a few hours of shopping and a few compromises, he picked out some cute rugby-style shirts and new pants, and some shoes that were less than ideal but were good enough. We took him to a dinner party and the first thing someone said to him was how nice he looked and like he has lost weight. He then spent the rest of the weekend in his new clothes without any fights or fusses. It was a good experience. I think he liked the way his appearance made him feel.

You don't have to be in a suit and tie to look nice, but looking like a slob or a bum tends to make people treat you that way. I hope we can teach him that much. He is a really good kid who has a really crappy family situation.
    Last edited by TerraSapient; 17 Dec 2012 at 4:12 PM.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Attachment 5069
    I don't want to look like a wierdo, I will take the muumuu.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    On the weekends I tend to wear a t-shirt and lounge pants pretty much all day around the house. So when my wife needed a ride to church I saw no reason to change. Nor when I went to pick her up. Little did I know she wanted to go to the store afterward. Standing in the checkout line the cashier looked at me - wool overcoat and plaid flannel lounge pants. "Are you in your pajamas."

BUSTED!! But hey, those lounge pants are so damn comfy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sweatpants in public are only appropriate when exercising or shopping for auto parts IMHO.

Registered
    May 2004
    on the weekends I often go out and about without addressing my bed head hair. If I am working around the huose and need to run to the store I generally don't bopther to change my paint stained, holes everywhere shirt. Yet even then I still tend to be better dressed than the majority of people I run into. I'm a firm believer in not judging people too harshly for whatever they choose to wear out to run errands -unless it specifically a professional situation.

At work I feel like there is a professional standard where everybody is similar. The people who needlessly dress up get as much of my contempt as those who dress down too much. Dressing down too far in a professional situation makes you a slob, but needlessly overdressing makes you a pompous jerk.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quite a few people in this world are content to judge folks based on the clothes they wear (or even appearances in general). From one perspective, this practice is neither right nor wrong, just a cultural value that's been instilled in them from a young age.

(we could use a good dobopoq screed about the evils of neckties right about now)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Attachment 5069
    haha that episode is classic. Its one I often think of when I think of that show.

I agree, better to be dressed up than dressed down. I think in general, looking like you made some effort puts you a step above the rest. I live next to a large university, I see all kinds of non-appropriate public attire: Slippers, PJs, flip flops in the cold of winter, ratty sweats, workout gear with ugg boots. Recently I went to the store, when it was raining (had been raining for a while and it was chilly), so I wore a rain coat and rain boots. I received all kind of comments about being dressed appropriately...it was amazing.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I think the only time I've worn sweatpants in public was when I was going to the hospital for surgery, or possibly afterwards when the bandages made it too uncomfortable for me to wear anything else.

I'm quite attached to my jeans, but I never wear jeans that are ripped or stained in public. I can't believe people wear pajama bottoms in public. That's just bizarre.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have such a strong and strange desire to be dressed decently in public that I was actually embarrassed when I had to call an ambulance once and get removed from my house in my pajamas and ended up knowing the firefighters/paramedics that showed up and the EMT. What luck.
    My mom might have overdone it on that issue when I was a kid.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Our Commissioners gave special recognition to one of the local HS football teams last night. They won the state championship and the Commissioners wanted to recognize that acheivement and gave each player a certificate of accomplishment. This was at their regular public meeting. The most "dressed up" player wore jeans and a buttondown (untucked). The majority wore jeans (some with holes and some without) and a sweatshirt and several wore athletic shorts and t-shirts or sweatshirts. Most had basketball shoes on, but some had on flip flops. The coaches all wore jeans, t-shirts and warmup jackets.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I have such a strong and strange desire to be dressed decently in public that I was actually embarrassed when I had to call an ambulance once and get removed from my house in my pajamas and ended up knowing the firefighters/paramedics that showed up and the EMT. What luck.
    My mom might have overdone it on that issue when I was a kid.
    At least we know you always wear your best underwear in case you are in an accident!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. TS needs jeans help
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  2. Women and jeans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Feb 2012, 7:21 PM
  3. Jeans With Holes