Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this a sympton of job burn-out?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Is this a sympton of job burn-out?

I've been in this profession for over 15 years now and I'm increasing finding myself performing analysis and making recommendations in anticipation of what the decision-makers actions will be (thus taking the easy road) rather than making my recommendations based on "text-book" professional planning practices. Also, I'm sleeping less and smoking more. Am I burnt out? Comments, suggestions?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Yes, and welcome to the crowd. Every so often it gets to you when the only person opposed to a project is "that planner (from the big city school, or other less friendly epitaphs)". There is also a tendency to protect our boards, that if it is going to be approved anyway, at least give them a justification with some semblence of rational thought.

Some will say never compromise your convictions; and some people change jobs every three years or less. My mentor from grad school said "pick your battles, but make sure they are worth losing your job over".

Keep training your board on planning principals. Find (or develop) citizen groups that are interested in doing the right thing. In your reports keep bringing up the issues. Every once in a while you will be surprised that someone agrees with you. Savor those wins.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That's all my job consists of - compromising planning ideals for the decision makers - and I've only been in the field for a little less than 3 years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 66
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 10:57 AM
  2. World Series burn-out?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Oct 2004, 6:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Aug 2004, 12:30 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Sep 2003, 7:06 PM