Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are sweatpants the new jeans?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I do not own a pair of sweatpants so debating on where I am going to wear them to is never an issue. I am probably one of the few people in the US that doesn't even own a sweatshirt. I've just never been a fan on them. I finally broke down and bought a "hoodie" this fall, but I would consider this particular one more a piece of outerwear than a sweatshirt.

My wife has tried to get me sweatshirts in the past as gifts but she has given up after finally realizing I just do not like them.

I would much rather be in a wool sweater and oxford cloth shirt when I am lounging around the house or even working outside in the fall. And instead of sweatpants, I'm usually in a pair of well-worn cords or moleskin pants which to me are just as comfortable.

I think my aversion to sweats developed when I had a job in the Marines where I traveled extensively but wasn't allowed to wear my uniform and my civilian clothes had to include a collared shirt and couldn't include jeans, sweats, or sneakers. Old habits die hard.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In the 8th grade my friend Willie was wearing sweatpants and was easily "pantsed" by another kid in gym class. Just keep that in mind, folks. I think we're all going to be wearing footie pajamas soon.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    My wife would not be caught dead without first putting on nice clothes before going someplace like a hardware store or fast food place.
    My wife is the opposite. She almost NEVER gets dressed up. But then again, she spends most of her day wearing scrubs with her hands in some poor guys chest. It is an extremely rare occasion that she will wear something other than her hiking boots or athletic shoes, and it is always jeans.

But then again, she her mom is more of a tom-boy that she is and her dad might as well be a Yooper. She did not get a lot of girly advice growing up... in fact it was not until her post-college roommate asked her why she does not have a purse, that she bought her first one.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. TS needs jeans help
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM
  2. Women and jeans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Feb 2012, 8:21 PM
  3. Jeans With Holes