Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Scott studying town and country planning at Manchester

Registered
    Dec 2012

Scott studying town and country planning at Manchester

Hi I am Scott, I am studying Town and Country Planning at the University of Manchester. Last year, I also spent a semester at the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign and when I graduate in 2014 I want to be a planner in America but I know that this could be difficult

Fingers crossed

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio, Scott! Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Scott92 View post
    Hi I am Scott, I am studying Town and Country Planning at the University of Manchester. Last year, I also spent a semester at the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign and when I graduate in 2014 I want to be a planner in America but I know that this could be difficult
    Welcome to Cyburbia!!

Local governments in the States are still recovering from the Great Recession, unfortunately. There are still entry level jobs in planning that go begging, but they're often in small, more isolated towns, and the salaries may leave as much to be desired as the community. You may have to do the "three and out"; build your resume in someplace like ... oh, Pine Bluff, Arkansas or Clovis, New Mexico, and then move on in three years.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the comments. Yea I am not to bothered about where in the states as long as I am able to get some experience of american planning. I think the hardest part will be getting the first job, hopefully more opportunities will open up after that but I am pretty interesting in travelling to different parts of the country

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Funny, I want to do the opposite. I will have an American degree but decided to move to the UK when I graduate (I am from Europe originally). I'll probably have difficulties like you...
    I wonder what attracts you to America? Did you spend time in other places than Urbana/Champaign?

Quote Originally posted by Scott92 View post

Fingers crossed

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by kotkoda View post
    Funny, I want to do the opposite. I will have an American degree but decided to move to the UK when I graduate (I am from Europe originally). I'll probably have difficulties like you...
    I wonder what attracts you to America? Did you spend time in other places than Urbana/Champaign?
    That's interesting! I've always wanted to live in the United States and I feel that there are many contrasts to the UK, both bad and good. I like how there is soo much competition between different metro areas in the United States and also negative characteristics like lack of pavenments, public transportation and segregation. I hope that I would be able to help to change that or maybe I am being too optimistic It would probably be more helpful to me if I did a post-grad course in the States but I am due to go on the program in Sept 2013 in Manchester. Funnily enough I didn't really spend much time out of Urbana/Champaign other than St Louis and Chicago. Where abouts do you study? Hopefully by the time we graduate there will be more jobs around, I think in the UK it could be more common to go into private sector planning work as there are less spatial government levels now in the UK.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from SW PA.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jul 2013, 5:48 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2012, 1:59 AM
  3. Job in planning while studying
    Career Development and Advice