Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rural vs Urban vs Suburban: the definitive analysis

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rural vs Urban vs Suburban: the definitive analysis

So what are all the various advantages and disadvantages associated with living in urban, suburban, or rural environments?

Here are a few advantages to get us started:
    Rural - getting likkered up and shooting off fireworks at 2 a.m. is better tolerated

Urban - if you want to meet people out in, you know, public. Well there are plenty here even if they don't particularly care to meet you

Suburban - one need not feel they must apologize for owning a minivan here
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Homeless people always asking you for money, traffic congestion, light pollution, noise, parking issues, and small yards are all negatives of urban living.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Rural, you can pretty much do what you want within reason. Con-there's not a lot to do and what there is, you best be ready to do it yourself.
    Urban-there is plenty to do and see. Plus, you get to meet new people. Con-it you and about 100,000+ other people.
    Suburban-great if you are in the breeder phase of like, such as hinkgator and mskiis. Con, they tend to be pretty vanilla.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Rural - no services, no stores, no nothing, but maybe you like it that way. You also have to drive a few miles for just the basics unless you're milking your own cows.
    Urban - every service possible, especially those for hipsters. You moved to the city to get away from PBR, but there it is.
    Suburb - you get every service possible or at least those you need. As long as you don't want something more exciting than the Gap at the mall and a movie theater you're doing good (see WYPs comment above)
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2014
    Is there a term for places that are "semi-urban"? Grew up in a place that has a population of 80-90k, is somewhat of a resort town, has almost all services but is far from many big box stores. 2 hours from the nearest big city (but definitely not a suburb of it). Would that still be considered urban?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rainbird View post
    Is there a term for places that are "semi-urban"? Grew up in a place that has a population of 80-90k, is somewhat of a resort town, has almost all services but is far from many big box stores. 2 hours from the nearest big city (but definitely not a suburb of it). Would that still be considered urban?
    I would say 'urban' is more about dwelling units per acre than just population.

I live in a small city (about 27,000 pop), within an effective market area of ~50,000 pop, but we have a decent supply of 'suburban' shopping and housing neighborhoods, but also have an 'urban' small city downtown area that is very pedestrian scaled with many/most services a given household needs.

I think you're 'urban', just maybe not big city 'urban'.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Suburban-

Hot moms, sunning themselves on the back pattio, elementary school kids running around playing on lush green back lawn, dad grilling burgers for dinner. A dog running after the kids. White picket fences, SUVs in the garage, house built after 1998, cul-de-sac.

At night, a small fire inside a fire pit, kids roasting marshmallows, wearing pajamas. Neighbors having a beer commenting about how they never saw the starts living in the City. No traffic, no drunk homeless guy saying "Can I have 87 cents so I can buy a bus ticket to Lansing", no helicopters from the near by hospital flying slow low that you can read the details on the IV bag inside the chopper.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Dec 2011, 3:34 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jan 2011, 12:28 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 5:56 PM
  4. Star Wars: the definitive analysis
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Jun 2004, 2:19 PM