Urban planning community

Poll results: Which is the dullest state in the US (vote for top three)

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Washington

0 0%
  • Oregon

0 0%
  • Arkansas

1 2.33%
  • New Mexico

0 0%
  • Indiana

7 16.28%
  • Ohio

4 9.30%
  • Delaware

8 18.60%
  • Nebraska

6 13.95%
  • Idaho

1 2.33%
  • Kansas

9 20.93%
  • North Dakota

16 37.21%
  • Maryland

0 0%
  • Iowa

8 18.60%
  • Utah

1 2.33%
  • Nebraska

7 16.28%
  • Minnesota

0 0%
  • South Dakota

2 4.65%
  • Nevada

2 4.65%
  • Illinois

1 2.33%
  • Other (and why do you despise America so very much)?

2 4.65%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What is the dullest/least interesting state in the union?

Although I am not nominating it, I rise before the membership of this august body only to note that Rhode Island has yet to be mentioned. T'was not even listed once in the poll...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Did you notice the excellent conditions of the roads in the Indiana pictures. FWIW, I've been in some pretty BFE parts of Michigan. Notice he didn't post any pix of the thumb region?
    I grew up in the southern base of the Thumb and spent a lot of time going to places deep in the thumb... My mom lived in Cass City until she was about 10 or so. It's smack dab in the middle of the Thumb. I still have a lot of relatives up that way and make a few trips up there each year, not to mention passing through to go to Caseville where my parents have a cottage. I always despise driving through the Thumb. It is easily the most boring area in Michigan. It's not so much the lack of people that gets to me, it's the never-ending flatness.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I grew up in the southern base of the Thumb and spent a lot of time going to places deep in the thumb... My mom lived in Cass City until she was about 10 or so. It's smack dab in the middle of the Thumb. I still have a lot of relatives up that way and make a few trips up there each year, not to mention passing through to go to Caseville where my parents have a cottage. I always despise driving through the Thumb. It is easily the most boring area in Michigan. It's not so much the lack of people that gets to me, it's the never-ending flatness.
    I wholeheartedly agree about the Thumb. Easily the most boring terrain in Michigan.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Although I am not nominating it, I rise before the membership of this august body only to note that Rhode Island has yet to be mentioned. T'was not even listed once in the poll...
    Rhode Island is the smallest state - that alone might exempt it from consideration, but it also has interesting historical origins (otherwise, yeah, you don't hear much about the place, do you?)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Meh. They had legalized prostitution for a while. Can't call that boring.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I cannot count Delaware or Rhode Island as really being all that boring since if you drive about 30 minutes from the centers of either, you can find some pretty bustling metropolises (metropoli?).

I've spent quite a bit of time in Rhode Island since an ex's mom taught at Providence College and we would go out there to visit a few times a year. Providence was not a bad city. It always seemed much more industrial or gritty than what I expect of old Northeastern cities and there are quite a few good restaurants. I always liked driving down to Newport and looking at the massive houses. There are a few cities here in Metro Detroit that I always thought had some big stately old homes but Newport puts them to shame. Newport probably puts every nice "old money" city that you can think of to shame.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Off-topic:
    I wonder if New Englanders have slang or nicknames for other NE states?
    such as "hey bro, you want to head over to the 'Island' after work and check out the cat?"
    Last edited by Maister; 20 Dec 2012 at 9:18 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    *raises hand* Me! I actually drove to the Pine Barrens -- on my way home from Cape May -- on purpose. I wanted to see what was there.

Unfortunately, the visitor center ? I stopped at was closed for the season, so all I did was walk around the property for awhile before getting back into my car and going home.

I did not encounter any New Jersey devils.
    I've been there too, but I live here. That's one of my pet peeves about NJ, the visitor/welcome centers generally suck. It's one thing that the southern states do quite well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I wholeheartedly agree about the Thumb. Easily the most boring terrain in Michigan.
    Saginaw Valley is pretty bad too. N of Flint to Sterling, as is US-127, Lansing to N of Mt Pleasant... Then again I-27 might just be the western edge of the saginaw valley....

N Dakota has my vote. The drive along US-2 is killer!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    I wonder if New Englanders have slang or nicknames for other NE states?
    such as "hey bro, you want to head over to the 'Island' after work and check out the cat?"
    Do you think the refer to Massachusetts as "the Mass" or "the Shetts"? Or do they just say "Boston"?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Do you think the refer to Massachusetts as "the Mass" or "the Shetts"? Or do they just say "Boston"?
    Off-topic:
    or...yeah, they went to "the Hamps" this weekend.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have to put in a nomination for Wyoming. Yes it has some skiing, but no one actually wants to live there.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I have to put in a nomination for Wyoming. Yes it has some skiing, but no one actually wants to live there.
    The state is definitely empty and the least populated but I think Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Jackson Hole more than offsets this.

I love Wyoming! The scenery is unbelievable.

That being said, this guy has traveled to all 50 states many times over and he thinks that Indiana is the least interesting state:

http://www.delsjourney.com/close-ups...rst_states.htm

"I like Hoosiers and think they're wonderful and kind people. But to be honest, the most boring state is Indiana. Simply put, it's flat, plain and dull. Yeah, states farther west like Iowa are just as flat, but at least you can see things there. Indiana, on the other hand, is covered with trees so there are no vistas... anywhere. I'm a history buff and always stop to read historical signs along the roadside, but I've never seen one in the Hoosier State, which only confirms my belief that nothing interesting has ever happened there. My apologies, Hoosiers."

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Haha, I'm pretty sure "The Shetts" is reserved for Tijuana, just spelled differently.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This is actually, in my experience, not true. People from Wyoming go so far as to identify themselves by what county they were born in.

I have strict instructions for my dad's headstone when the time comes. Born in Lincoln County, Wyoming. It's one of the single-most definitive things about his personality.

Plus the whole Devil's Tower - Close Encounters thing makes Wyoming too interesting to put on that list.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Haha, I'm pretty sure "The Shetts" is reserved for Tijuana, just spelled differently.
    Oh, you said Tijuana! Are you trying to make me lonely for California again today!?!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    If you are lonely for Tijuana, I'm sorry, I can't help!

Sorry, back on topic now.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Prostitution is actually still legal in Rhode Island.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    For me I'm looking for two things...would I live there and would I visit the state.
    I do have to give Wyoming some credit for Yellowstone and like I mentioned it has great skiing, but none of that is getting me to travel (someday Yellowstone). I'd put New Mexico on the list, but it has some interesting things beyond beautiful scenery. We did learn to blow up the world there and of course there is Roswell. I still wouldn't live there, but it might be worth a visit on a drive thru. I might be willing to visit Indiana, but mostly for the Brickyard. So which state has no history, interesting cities, scenery, or some reason to visit?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Let's have a renaming contest for the dullest winner.

Indiana will now be the State of Ennui.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2002
    What's the dullest state in the US? . . . Canada.
    [oh no he didn't!!!] ;)

Prostitution was never really legal in RI. There was or is a loophole in the law that "outdoor" prostitution was illegal but it wasn't technically illegal "indoors" so police had a hard time cracking down on illicit activity in strip clubs and massage parlors. I'm too embarassed to google the topic at work to find out the current status.

How does South Dakota get off the hook so easily? Is it really that much more interesting than N. Dakota?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    How does South Dakota get off the hook so easily? Is it really that much more interesting than N. Dakota?
    Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Wall Drugs. Any one of those makes it more interesting than NoDak. Hell, even their Corn Palace is more interesting than all the sugar beets in NoDak.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Wall Drugs. Any one of those makes it more interesting than NoDak.
    Don't forget Sturgis too. That is definitely interesting.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Wall Drugs. Any one of those makes it more interesting than NoDak. Hell, even their Corn Palace is more interesting than all the sugar beets in NoDak.
    How many of the other old-timers in here also remember Gateway Computers (located in Sioux Falls, SD)?

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. The State of the Union Show
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 7:26 PM
  2. Replies: 70
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 1:50 PM
  3. Fun with State of The Union Address
    Friday Afternoon Club