Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suggest a Goal for my last year in the 30's!

Registered
    May 2002

Suggest a Goal for my last year in the 30's!

Hey all,

As noted, this is my birthday! One year from today, I turn 40. I am throwing this out to Cyburbia, since there isn't a whole lot else going on in the office today.

At a recent party, I was asked what I do for fun and was stumped. I would like some direction and knowing that I have exactly one year before 40 seems a good time to start.

I am looking for suggestions from you all. What should I shoot for in the next year of my life? This means anything, from books I should read to places I should visit to hobbies I should try to a new job goal. Anything at all.

What say you all? I can't wait for the responses!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Train for and complete the Reykjavik half marathon!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Train to ride a century in a cool place, like the challenging High Sierra Century, then explore that side of the Sierra when the aspen usually start to turn.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Learn how to play an instrument. As you get senile it has been proven that those who keep their minds busy with music do better.

Or learn to like crosswords.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Golf...if you don't play learn and if you do play then set a target to get better. If Kim Jung Il can get 5 holes-in-one on his first try imagine what you could do.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Become a soldier of fortune and fight for the Congolese rebels. Come back alive to the states a year later and tell everyone your tales of adventure.

How will you know whether you would like being a merc until you try? Wouldn't it be a misfortune if you were to spend the rest of your life wondering whether you could have done that? This way you'l know for sure.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Organize all of your CD and cassette tapes by genre, then artist, then album name, then do the same with all books that you own!
    You could count blades of grass on your lawn. Have a contest and see who is the closest to guess the correct number!
    Become a Level 60 mage on World of Warcraft, then become Level 60 with every other character type!
    Go urban exploring in your community and use your access to all of the sewer maps and building plans to your advantage!

SO MUCH TO DO!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Learn to "throw" your farts. It's a skill... You're going to need it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Post a lot on Cyburbia & join Teh Clube!!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Clearly, a major vacation is in order!

To celebrate this milestone, perhaps attempt to visit 30 places located at 30 degrees N/S.

Or, better yet, visit between 30 and 40 places between 30 and 40 degrees N or S.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    I was asked what I do for fun and was stumped.
    I suggest your goal should be to never be stumped on that question again. Step one is to identify what sounds fun. Step 2 is to DO IT!!!

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Learn to "throw" your farts. It's a skill... You're going to need it.
    I need some more advice on how to go about doing this, not for me mind you, but I have a ... friend.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Begin to train your ear and nostril hair to grow up over your head so you can avoid obvious and embarrassing comb overs.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Suck booze.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Through-hike the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, or the Pacific Crest Trail. If water is your preference, kayak the Lake Superior shoreline or canoe the length of the Missouri River.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    1. Obtain a pet monkey: 2. teach it fling poo on command 3. Post signs that in neighborhood that you have a monkey that passes out candy for Halloween 4. Wait for hallonween 5. Command pet monkey to fling poo onto trick-o-treaters 6. Video tape and post to you tube.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Master half a dozen exceptional (or comforting) dishes, so you can always serve a great meal to your family or friends. Every grown-up needs to do this.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Through-hike the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, or the Pacific Crest Trail. If water is your preference, kayak the Lake Superior shoreline or canoe the length of the Missouri River.
    Wish I woulda mentioned that (I even was in REI today looking at Yellowstone maps). Borrowing a backpack and tent should be easy enough.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Master half a dozen exceptional (or comforting) dishes, so you can always serve a great meal to your family or friends. Every grown-up needs to do this.
    Another I wish I woulda mentioned. Good one.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Or, better yet, visit between 30 and 40 places between 30 and 40 degrees N or S.
    You just don'[t want him coming to Toledo as Toledo is at 41!

Your goal should be to enter your 40th year without a penny to your name spend it all on strippers and booze. You won't have any regrets, honest!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    You just don'[t want him coming to Toledo as Toledo is at 41!
    Off-topic:
    Toledo lover!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Wish I woulda mentioned that (I even was in REI today looking at Yellowstone maps). Borrowing a backpack and tent should be easy enough.
    I so want to do a major hike like the AT or PCT (or my idea of a cross-continental hike connecting all of the national parks). I have everything I need, including a dog with his own pack. I could use a new lightweight tent. Oh, and enough cash in the bank to take care of all of my expenses while I am hiking. Maybe the year I turn 50?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Do the 52 book challenge and read a book a week between now and your next birthday.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    What an awesome response from the community! I like several of the ideas and suggestions.

Thanks everyone!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I so want to do a major hike like the AT or PCT (or my idea of a cross-continental hike connecting all of the national parks). I have everything I need, including a dog with his own pack. I could use a new lightweight tent. Oh, and enough cash in the bank to take care of all of my expenses while I am hiking. Maybe the year I turn 50?
    My best friend from childhood and I have backpacked together for ~20-25 years, often for a week at a time in a National Park so I trust his stories. He lives in FL now and has done the AT maybe 1/3 of the way. I'm a westerner who has done most of the PCT in CA and some in WA. From his descriptions he likes the AT (and may prefer it over some of the stuff I choose) but I still haven't done any of it - read up (more than Bill Bryson) before you decide on the AT. Many different challenges than the sparsely-populated PCT, not the least of which is the quality of your site if the hut is full. The PCT is a different challenge - an old GF used to work near Lassen and we'd see the folks come down for resupply - exhausted but ecstatic; easier for westerners used to the dry and altitude.

Either way you won't be sorry and you'll have stories for every party and gathering for the rest of your life & many will be envious and you may inspire somebody yourself...

:o)
    -------

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I tried to actively visit all of the KY state parks. Lots of variety and potential. There are still a few I missed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 3:04 AM
  2. Advertisements from the 30's
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 20 Feb 2009, 2:26 PM
  3. The power of the almighty Goal!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jan 2007, 9:26 PM