Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 12 of 482 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Filled out the HUD Section 3 Summary report for my boss on her small CBDG project she's running.

She was watching me fill it out and said "will you marry me?"
    Uh, that's the most unromantic thing I've ever heard.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I walked in this morning and the admin and the code compliance officer were talking, obviously bad-mouthing the building inspector and immediately stopped talking and waited till I walked through.

I smell a controversy brewing. I'm too tired for this. We have no true department head anymore (when my boss left they opted not to move me up, bless their hearts) and it's just me sort of unofficially keeping the peace while we all work independently under the City Manager who barely remembers we are here.

If I didn't have reports to do I'd go home for the day. If I didn't have mouths to feed I'd walk away forever. Don't need it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Four days into the new year, and we have 10 pages, 250+ posts.
    Even more shocking, I don't think Maister has split a thread yet this year!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just found out that my sister got her three year pin for being sober this morning. It is amazing how strong she has become. In fact, she went into rehab for a month only 3 months before my mom found out that she was going to die, yet my sister still held strong. Needless to say I am very proud of my little sister.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Filled out the HUD Section 3 Summary report for my boss on her small CBDG project she's running.

She was watching me fill it out and said "will you marry me?"
    That proves it! Chicks dig people with skills!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I walked in this morning and the admin and the code compliance officer were talking, obviously bad-mouthing the building inspector and immediately stopped talking and waited till I walked through.

I smell a controversy brewing. I'm too tired for this. We have no true department head anymore (when my boss left they opted not to move me up, bless their hearts) and it's just me sort of unofficially keeping the peace while we all work independently under the City Manager who barely remembers we are here.

If I didn't have reports to do I'd go home for the day. If I didn't have mouths to feed I'd walk away forever. Don't need it.
    I've been there before. It's either time for a new job or wait out the pain until they get smart enough to promote you. Either way, good luck and keep filing those TPS reports.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    rock me sexy jesus!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Why poke the beast?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Why poke the beast?
    I think he is too busy with people trying to burn town apartment buildings in his city.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Why poke the beast?
    Did someone say soak and poke?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Today I was supposed to be here:

Instead I am here:

Feeling like this:

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was typing a website address into the navigation bar a moment ago and I was being sloppy. I meant to type "sla..." but inadvertantly typed "swl" and hit enter. The first result was a page for "Southwest Licking schools". That made me chuckle.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I've been there before. It's either time for a new job or wait out the pain until they get smart enough to promote you. Either way, good luck and keep filing those TPS reports.
    Ha! I need to go home and watch Kung Fu movies with Jennifer Aniston. That'd make me feel better.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ha! I need to go home and watch Kung Fu movies with Jennifer Aniston. That'd make me feel better.
    The kung fu part or going home to Jennifer Aniston. And which Jennifer Aniston? The early friends days or today jennifer aniston. This makes all the difference yanno

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I haven't seen hide nor hair of him. He's probably burning off that community service time he had to do.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    lp - the resident Cyburbian Poltergeist - BOO
    I was splitting laughing just re typing the story so yeah I am a PITA for certain

You know, I walked away from these situations and I paid dearly for it - don't ignore this - confront it - ask what's going on, is there soemthing I should know about - or just joke and say in a loud whisper, "psst wait, here he comes..." when you walk into a room and they stop talking - ignoring it will make it worse and they will turn on you - sorry to be sobering but I have been there and was there for 9 years, nuh uh, not doing that again

Dandy - sorry buddy - you'll be back out there soon -
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 04 Jan 2013 at 1:19 PM. Reason: forgot to address dandy

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    You know, I walked away from these situations and I paid dearly for it - don't ignore this - confront it - ask what's going on, is there soemthing I should know about - or just joke and say in a loud whisper, "psst wait, here he comes..." when you walk into a room and they stop talking - ignoring it will make it worse and they will turn on you - sorry to be sobering but I have been there and was there for 9 years, nuh uh, not doing that again
    You might be right, the way things are around here lately. Thanks for the advice, LP. I think I'll take it. They are starting to make me a little nervous.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    You might be right, the way things are around here lately. Thanks for the advice, LP. I think I'll take it. They are starting to make me a little nervous.
    love ya sweet thing! go get em - put your bear face on and go get em

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Is it just me, or is Gangnam Style the new Macarena? I mean seriously folks, how can we not forget that fad?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Is it just me, or is Gangnam Style the new Macarena? I mean seriously folks, how can we not forget that fad?
    It should be the new "lambada, the forbidden dance." Then we wouldn't have to see it anymore.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post

Your pop culture sensors are spot-on! Good call, Raf.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I found out that my mother-in-law is outraged that I unfriended her on Facebook. She sent my wife a text saying this and that... but I have yet to receive a call or text from her. It makes me wonder if she taught 5th grade a bit too long.
    It's not like it means you were real friends. People take this too seriously. It's just a list of people who include you on their list.

I hope you and your wife are on the same page regarding her mother. The animosity can mean more trouble than simply removing someone from a list.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have a sister-in-law I can't unfriend. I would never hear the end of how horrible I am. I just get tired of the never ending posts of right wing rants, prayers, and what you made for breakfast. I'm all for supporting the troops (I was one), I'm okay with guns, we all know Obama is the devil, and the country is going to hell. If I wanted Fox News, I'd tune in. I just don't want to read about it on the facebook, but that's why I just hide her posts. Family drama saved for today.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    It's not like it means you were real friends. People take this too seriously. It's just a list of people who include you on their list.

I hope you and your wife are on the same page regarding her mother. The animosity can mean more trouble than simply removing someone from a list.
    We are. On our way home from a week at my Dad's house in the UP, my MIL called my wife and tried to rip into her for us not coming to to visit her more. My wife responded in a most appropreate way. My wife told my MIL that if she (MIL) had not done all these things to push her grand kids out of their lives, then we would. She bluntly told her that because our oldest is so allergic to cats, we would need to load him up on drugs for him to spend a few hours up at her house. And my MIL called my wife to ask about our son's allergies before she got the cats this summer.

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I have a sister-in-law I can't unfriend. I would never hear the end of how horrible I am. I just get tired of the never ending posts of right wing rants, prayers, and what you made for breakfast. I'm all for supporting the troops (I was one), I'm okay with guns, we all know Obama is the devil, and the country is going to hell. If I wanted Fox News, I'd tune in. I just don't want to read about it on the facebook, but that's why I just hide her posts. Family drama saved for today.
    That is what I tried to do too... but then she started to comment my friends posts after I commented on them.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think he is too busy with people trying to burn town apartment buildings in his city.
    I see you still know how to read (that or listened to local news).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Closed thread
Page 12 of 482 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141