Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 482 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Page two: my sister got engaged at midnight...lots of trips home in my near future!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    so we don't have end of the year rush/frenzy to 9327 we only need 25-26 post per day every day. That is manageable.

if our goal is 10,000 we will need 27-28 posts per day every day.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    so we don't have end of the year rush/frenzy to 9327 we only need 25-26 post per day every day. That is manageable.

if our goal is 10,000 we will need 27-28 posts per day every day.
    Well, now that we are all warmed up it shouldn't be too tough to maintain 1 page of randoms per day. Look at us already passing the goal!

To start off the new year, I will be renewing my Cyburbian Plus membership here soon Dan! Just have to buy a few baby items and pay some student loans first. 2013 will be a tight year with MW not yet working again, but we should be okay.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that my employer will pay up to 95% the tuition toward my PhD, so I have to start studying for the GRE again too and get some applications out to nearby Universities. I hope to start no later than 2014.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Unbelieveably, I was still up at midnight to usher in the new year. Usually I just wake up when I hear more than the usual amount of gunfire starting in my neighborhood.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Unbelieveably, I was still up at midnight to usher in the new year. Usually I just wake up when I hear more than the usual amount of gunfire starting in my neighborhood.
    I even slept through that.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Happy New Year, Cyburbia! I shaved off my goatee last night (no I hadn't had too much to drink). It's something I do every decade or so. On the positive side, it's already growing back!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am sorry that I missed the end, but I had a great time fighting the good fight for most of the day.

So excited for 2013 around these parts. You are some good people.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hate the Rose Parade. (Why did they include the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band? What a bunch of assclowns and fucktards.) Now that I think about it, I hate all parades. Useless.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    There is the cutest little all-natural baby boutique around the corner from our house. I love the place, but they are seriously never open. How on earth do little businesses like that stay in business?

Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6. They are closed every holiday. Earlier this week, they advertised a big New Year's Sale for today. I was so excited because I would actually be able to go since I have the day off work. Well, we were planning to go about an hour ago, but SeaMonkey decided he was hungry and you know how babies derail schedules. Sure enough, they just posted an update that they would be closing early (at that very moment, in fact) because the other shops near them were all closed. WTH kind of reason is that? They will be holding the sale tomorrow instead. I cannot go tomorrow since I have to work.

How do they make any $$$?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    There is the cutest little all-natural baby boutique around the corner from our house. I love the place, but they are seriously never open. How on earth do little businesses like that stay in business?

Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6. They are closed every holiday. Earlier this week, they advertised a big New Year's Sale for today. I was so excited because I would actually be able to go since I have the day off work. Well, we were planning to go about an hour ago, but SeaMonkey decided he was hungry and you know how babies derail schedules. Sure enough, they just posted an update that they would be closing early (at that very moment, in fact) because the other shops near them were all closed. WTH kind of reason is that? They will be holding the sale tomorrow instead. I cannot go tomorrow since I have to work.

Internet?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I hate the Rose Parade. (Why did they include the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band? What a bunch of assclowns and fucktards.) Now that I think about it, I hate all parades. Useless.
    I'm glad I didn't have to perform in the Rose Parade when I was in my high school marching band. I typically dislike parades as well.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2002

You ought to send them a copy of your post. Maybe they will learn something. It sounds like they are a hobby business.

In other news, some fucktards were setting off fireworks at 2:30 this morning. Our dog Solomon woke me up as he was beside himself and would not be reassured. I had to sit with him for about half an hour, just petting him and talking in a soothing voice. Thunder scares him, too, but I think we get more fireworks than thunderstorms here.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    If you use the word "silos" in a sentence, and you are not talking about farms or missiles, yer doing it wrong...

That is all.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6.
    I've posted about this before: it's not uncommon for businesses in my hometown that have different hours for each day of the week, and are closed for various third-tier holidays like All Saint's Day, St. Joseph's Day, and the like.

Union barber shops in Buffalo are also infamous for oddball hours; closed Sunday and one random day of the week, and often closed on random days throughout the summer for "fishing".

Here in Hippie Valley, many businesses close or have limited hours during academic breaks.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What, did someone say they wanted to see a cheetah in action doing what cheetahs do best?
    Here's one of my dogs, Guinness, from a few years back, doing what he does best.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Here's one of my dogs, Guinness, from a few years back, doing what he does best.
    LOL
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs piece a few years ago on disassembling Rose Parade floats a week or two into January.

Think that one through a bit....

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The 'floats' are made by professional construction companies using the best labor possible - - free. They are nothing but rolling commercials getting airtime. As for the bands, why don't they tell how much money each family needs to pony up for the honor of marching? No, I didn't watch.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Happy New Year!!

Last night I made the sweet potato & pepper pasta dish that dandy posted. I did make a few changes - used cilantro instead of garlic, no parsley, and used a different type of pasta. Came out great!!! I had it for dinner, and had three helpings left over (hubby didn't eat any). So today for lunch I had it again. And I'm looking forward to eating for lunch again tomorrow!! Yum Yum!

I nominate Dandy as the Cyburbian Awesome Recipe Finder. Who's with me???
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Happy New Year!!

Last night I made the sweet potato & pepper pasta dish that dandy posted. I did make a few changes - used cilantro instead of garlic, no parsley, and used a different type of pasta. Came out great!!! I had it for dinner, and had three helpings left over (hubby didn't eat any). So today for lunch I had it again. And I'm looking forward to eating for lunch again tomorrow!! Yum Yum!

I nominate Dandy as the Cyburbian Awesome Recipe Finder. Who's with me???
    I'm glad you like it! We've tweaked the recipe some to our own palate (or pallet as I read recently in a published book). When we make it we normally get dinner and the next day's lunch from it. Try it with garlic bread!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last spring I stumbled upon the place where parade floats go to die in Chicago. It was a bit creepy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Not looking forward to the return to work tomorrow.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Kids are told that Santa Claus doesn't leave presents to kids who are bad. Did you ever know of any real life kids that were punished that were punished for bad behavior in a certain year by having "Santa" skip a visit, leaving nothing under the tree?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Not looking forward to the return to work tomorrow.
    Do you see the very tiny little violin I'm playing?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Anyone see Kathy Griffin with Anderson Cooper last night?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Closed thread
Page 2 of 482 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 8:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 4:08 PM