Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 43 of 482 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 12050

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Harbough will lead his team to victory in the Superbowl.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    MLK day [crickets]. Ah, the joys of working for/in a deeply conservative community.

Harbough will lead his team to victory in the Superbowl.
    I am such a wit.
    I can't believe I stooped that low.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When viewing any footage of the Vietnam war it is imperative that "for whats its worth" or "fortunate son" be playing in the background.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Yep...here on MLK as well...but simply because we get Friday after T-Day and X-mas Eve off in exchange.

I hope the natives think we're closed today.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    When viewing any footage of the Vietnam war it is imperative that "for whats its worth" or "fortunate son" be playing in the background.
    and footage of hippies & war protesters stateside should be accompanied with "Smile on Your Brother" (Buffalo Springfield) in the background.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    and footage of hippies & war protesters stateside should be accompanied with "Smile on Your Brother" (Buffalo Springfield) in the background.
    Minus 2 points for Maister: It's not Buffalo Springfield AND it's not called "Smile on Your Brother"... I think you mean "Get Together" by the Youngbloods.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    besides being MLK birthdaday it is

National Squirrel Appreciation Day
    How does one appreciate a squirrel?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    How does one appreciate a squirrel?
    Here's one way:

Squirrel Fricassee

1 Squirrel; cleaned, dressed & disjointed
    1/3 c Unsifted flour
    1 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    3 tb Butter or margarine
    1 md Yellow onion; peeled and minced
    1 Clove garlic; peeled and crushed
    1/4 c Julienne strips of lean ham
    3/4 c Chicken broth
    1/4 c Milk or light cream
    1 tb Flour blended with 1/4 cup milk

Dredge squirrel in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper, then brown in a heavy saucepan in butter over moderately high heat. Add all but last ingredient; cover, and simmer about 1 hour until tender. Blend in flour paste and heat, stirring, until thickened. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Serve with hot biscuits.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Posting from bed! Thanks MLK and unions!

I appreciate squirrels. Their antics and little feet make me smile.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Minus 2 points for Maister: It's not Buffalo Springfield AND it's not called "Smile on Your Brother"... I think you mean "Get Together" by the Youngbloods.
    Why not minus 20 points for Maister? Song and band names should be worth 10 points a piece.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Teh Clube watch/count down

Maister - 25 posts to 14,000

beach_bum - 19 posts to 2,000

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Teh Clube watch/count down

Maister - 25 posts to 14,000

beach_bum - 19 posts to 2,000
    Ah yes, a post pad from my couch today. Watching the inauguration and relaxing on the holiday. I was in DC four years ago for the festivities, a great time. I highly recommend attending one if you ever get a chance.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir & James Taylor = good choice
    Kelly Clarkson = WTH?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Kelly Clarkson = WTH?
    marine band marine band marine band!!!

Be sure to watch for the parade troupe: purple tops, a white horizontal stripe, black hats with white plumes, and likely rainbow flags. Folks I know. (If it weren't for the foot thing, I would have volunteered to carry our state flag.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Kelly Clarkson = WTH?
    What makes a choir a tabernacle choir? I picture kids... those weren't kids...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Affiliation with a church?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    The church is called The Brooklyn Tabernacle. And they have a choir. It's not a type of choir.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Off today for the holiday. Spent some time this morning at the dentist, post-op xrays and getting ready for next steps. In a month I'll be on Step 2!! Yeah! Than another 3-4 weeks for Step 3!

That means I finish by the middle of March.

In other news, I'm on the third load of laundry and am about to start lunch. It may be a day off work, but I'm working at home today!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Off today for the holiday. Spent some time this morning at the dentist, post-op xrays and getting ready for next steps. In a month I'll be on Step 2!! Yeah! Than another 3-4 weeks for Step 3!

That means I finish by the middle of March.

In other news, I'm on the third load of laundry and am about to start lunch. It may be a day off work, but I'm working at home today!
    Glad there is an end date in sight, Sal!

There is a ton of stuff I need to do around the house but so far I've only managed to get from the bed to the couch. Oh, I did let the dogs in and out. So that's something.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For the record, I don't think January 21st is a very good candidate for consideration as an "mmm bop" kinda day. April 23rd strikes me as a much better choice for that kinda distinction.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Any words of wisdom on being judgmental or the concept of judging? There are people in the world who do things differently than I would and that is ok.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Any words of wisdom on being judgmental or the concept of judging? There are people in the world who do things differently than I would and that is ok.
    I know of 4 sources -

Do a goggle search,
    What does a magic 8 ball say,
    The Golden Rule,
    The Good Book

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Glad there is an end date in sight, Sal!

There is a ton of stuff I need to do around the house but so far I've only managed to get from the bed to the couch. Oh, I did let the dogs in and out. So that's something.
    \

I'm surprised at how much I got done during commercials. I escaped to Mayberry for a good while, but got some things done in 3 minute increments.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    “Criticism of others is thus an oblique form of self-commendation. We think we make the picture hang straight on our wall by telling our neighbors that all his pictures are crooked.” Fulton Sheen

EDIT: was there a particular aspect of judging that you wanted a quote on or a particular direction you wanted the quote to slant towards? (I guess I'm asking what do you need/want this for?)
    Last edited by Maister; 21 Jan 2013 at 3:03 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It sounds like there are elephants galloping around upstairs... but it's the crazy feline monster.

My DH can be soooo stubborn. Grrr.

Closed thread
Page 43 of 482 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM