Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 5 of 482 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I often see links for jobs up there in Traverse City and though I generally don't want to move outside of a major metro area, that is one of the few isolated cities I would consider. However, convincing my wife to make the move too would be a different story. Sometimes I think about just applying so that maybe I can get an interview and have an excuse for spending a day or two up there...
    I want to start applying for things just out of the enjoyment of dreaming of working somewhere sane
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

My former administrative assistant was a sweet as could be, but utterly useless. I've got a 2" thick file jam packed with documents and drawings and photos except for any copies of correspondence between us and the applicant. Which, of course, is precisely what I need. Love ya' darlin', but good riddance.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I feel like I just had 4 Sundays in two weeks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

I see there's a lot of post-holiday back-to-work blues around here. Cheer up - the days are getting longer!
    I'm way too busy to think about being blue, we are in the middle of a new comp plan that our council expects to be done by June (we just started in late November) and I have quite a few projects going to the boards in the this month. On top of that my supervisor (comp plan project manager), has been sick a lot lately and I have been covering for her.

I love that the days are getting longer...I'm a fan of sunlight.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I am applying for PhD programs in the area and my test scores are expired
    That's exciting! Scores should not expire. That seems unfair. Do you feel less smart than you were when you took the GRE? Honestly, sometimes you have to wonder....

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I picked up some dried mangos at World Market a few days back. I opened them this morning and they are almost gone. Why are they so tasty?
    I love dried mangoes. Almost as much as the really good fresh ones the ladies sell on the beach in California. In my dreams I hear them calling....." mango mango.....mango mango...." mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I picked up some dried mangos at World Market a few days back. I opened them this morning and they are almost gone. Why are they so tasty?
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I love dried mangoes. Almost as much as the really good fresh ones the ladies sell on the beach in California. In my dreams I hear them calling....." mango mango.....mango mango...." mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Did you see the news about the new Girl Scout Cookie - Mango Cream - and their cookie sales start soon.

Would you buy a box ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Did you see the news about the new Girl Scout Cookie - Mango Cream - and their cookie sales start soon.

Would you buy a box ?

I would buy several. I like tag-a-longs the best but I'm an open-minded guy.

Hey JNA did I tell you my daughter is waiting to hear from Utah State to see if she got in? She loooooooves the campus and is excited for school for the first time. Man, I hope she made it. It's iffy.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Wow, way too busy in my office to be the second day of the year.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I devoured leftover kofta malai curry for lunch.

Today is day two of no sweets/chocolate.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Not sure why, but people seem really cranky in my office this morning. Not a good sign for 2013.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Here's to 1520 calories....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Not sure why, but people seem really cranky in my office this morning. Not a good sign for 2013.
    You're cranky!!!!! I bet it is the weight of all the NY's resolutions.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I devoured leftover kofta malai curry for lunch.
    Yum! dandy, you always make me hungry for ethnic foods that are not easily available around here. We have NO leftover sushi from yesterday.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Here's to 1520 calories....
    I think I have consumed that in dried mangos this morning. Stomach is getting upset but I cannot stop eating them.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Probably because of something like this:
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Today is day two of no sweets/chocolate.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think I have consumed that in dried mangos this morning. Stomach is getting upset but I cannot stop eating them.
    6oz of meat is so much smaller than you would think.... seriously.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hard to get back in the worktime groove after almost two weeks away. My visit to see family in south Louisiana was grand. The seafood, the not frigid temperatures, the abundance of vegetation, the laid back attitude of just about everyone, and a reminder of where I come from (thus who I am).

Visiting Louisiana in the winter is deceptive. There I was sitting in Mandeville outdoors in a restaurant, watching the nice people strolling by, temperatures in the 70s and enjoying a beer. Walkable neighborhoods, streets shaded by live oaks laden with Spanish moss and surrounded by people who speak my language in accents I understand. I was thinking I could see living here again. But soon I realize it is December, one of the two or three months when the weather is pleasant. I could not live again in Louisiana in June, July and August.

I do miss the laid back attitudes of the people, though. Around here the UPS guy moves quick, like a ferret. In the Northlake, the UPS guy sort of ambles, taking time to chat up people along the way. It is a different way of life.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love the first paycheck of a new year when I see a big chunk of personal/vacation time get added into my balance. I wonder if my employer would allow me to use all 40 days I've accumulated at one time?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I hope you like fudge and being in the middle of nowhere. It likely would take some getting used to for you.
    I agree with Mendelman on this on. I love the UP and NM, but there is like nada up there. From what I understand the Grand Traverse area has grown up, but still. Plus, in small cities/towns the local politics can be deadly.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Hard to get back in the worktime groove after almost two weeks away.
    But welcome back, Sir. Otterpop on deck. (salutes).

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Has anyone here taken the GRE since 2011?

Trying to get a sense of how much has changed since the 2007 version.
    Took it in 1972. It has changed since then. Hell, they don't even use the 800-point system anymore. Back in my day it was a real test.

Now get off my lawn!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I am having a hell of a time keeping MW and I on budget. I need "please stop spending money" emoticon to use in my text messages.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am having a hell of a time keeping MW and I on budget. I need "please stop spending money" emoticon to use in my text messages.
    I need stores and utility providers to start accepting smiles, hugs and lint from my pockets. I think it's about as likely as the "stop spending money" thing to happen. Budgets suck.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anyone here taken the GRE since 2011?

Trying to get a sense of how much has changed since the 2007 version.
    Sorry I can't be any help.
    Back when I applied for Grad school, the school I went to did not require them but then again that was 25 yrs ago.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I need stores and utility providers to start accepting smiles, hugs and lint from my pockets. I think it's about as likely as the "stop spending money" thing to happen. Budgets suck.
    They do suck. They particularly suck when you are the one in charge of managing the family finances for a on income family and have to me reminding your beloved to stop buying things. It makes me feel like a scrooge but unless we add another income to the stream, I can't help but feel like we don't needed half of what we buy.

Disregard stupid smart phone auto corrections please
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 5 of 482 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 8:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 4:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811