Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 58 of 482 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 12050

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    The Puppy Bowl cam is up and running already!

http://mashable.com/2013/01/24/puppy-cam/
    Sweet! I just checked in and one of the puppies left a little "land mine" for an opposing player.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Since my boss is out of the office today....

I came in an hour late and told my coworkers I was doing site visits. Do drive-by visits count?

I have done nothing very productive. Sent a couple of emails, transferred calls because I didn't want to hurt my brain translating Spanish, rooted around in the supply closet for a binder and some tab dividers. I'm ready to go home now.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Awe, that would be awesome! When my one doggy was a puppy I brought her to work once or twice. I need to do that more often.
    actually this cat is pretty loud and obnoxious which adds to the entertainment I am looking for...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    So my "So you want to be a planner" youtube short has hot 26K+ views (i got a comment on it last night and checked out the stats). Youtube has offered me a cut of ad revenue for the video if i so choose, and has blown away the real day to day urban and city planner short. Hmmm i think a follow up is in order...
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    So my "So you want to be a planner" youtube short has hot 26K+ views (i got a comment on it last night and checked out the stats). Youtube has offered me a cut of ad revenue for the video if i so choose, and has blown away the real day to day urban and city planner short. Hmmm i think a follow up is in order...
    linky?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    linky?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oh yeah, I remember that - that was pretty awesome!

I love the comments! just went to YouTube for a repost to Facebook and laughed at the comments

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post

I came in an hour late and told my coworkers I was doing site visits. Do drive-by visits count?

YES! Those do count (and used often around here)

How many of those views were by u19?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I can't believe it, but I think I hotlinked an image earlier today.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    <snip>How many of those views were by u19?
    WIN!

I always knew there were sub-groups of railroad enthusiasts (steam locomotives vs diesel, for example) but it never occurred to me that there was a railroad bridge sub-group. I just spent 45 minutes with a very intelligent, dedicated enthusiast of a local rail bridge, who is on the verge of rail bridge geekdom. (And may be over the line a tad. We'll see.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I can't believe it, but I think I hotlinked an image earlier today.
    Pretty sure that's all I do. What's the policy on that again?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Sometimes I take a litte longer lunch to do drive by site visits...I need to see my sites more often, we are spoiled here and have a zoning officer that checks construction sites daily.

I've given ya'll almost 48 hours...but no one seemed to have noticed yet
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Why is the one of the biggest big boxes around so secretive when they ask about land...seriously how many other single use retailers need over 100K square feet. We know who you are!
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Sometimes I take a litte longer lunch to do drive by site visits...I need to see my sites more often, we are spoiled here and have a zoning officer that checks construction sites daily.

I've given ya'll almost 48 hours...but no one seemed to have noticed yet
    Your gettin a walmart?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Your gettin a walmart?
    nope, we already have the prettiest super Walmart you've ever seen...Costco has been searching for a spot on this side of the metro area for several years. They are the only super big box looking in the area actively...everyone knows that despite the low profile they keep trying to keep. Trust me, unless they try to go next to some giant affluent neighborhood, no one around here will oppose a Costco.

there is even a fairly active thread on the area's city data forum page that discusses location rumors for the store
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    AAAAAAHHHH!!!!
    An isobar passed right through me!
    AAAAAAHHHH!!!!
    Please someone put me out of my misery!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    AAAAAAHHHH!!!!
    An isobar passed right through me!
    AAAAAAHHHH!!!!
    Please someone put me out of my misery!
    I used to go isobar-hopping but the pressure was too much for me.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    BF is at a conference and kids are at their respective parents until Friday. Love them all, but so excited to get home and into pj's and maybe have a glass of wine. Getting take-out for dinner (because me actually preparing something tonight would be no more than a bowl of cereal). What should I get, hmmmmm???

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Since my boss is out of the office today....

I have done nothing very productive. Sent a couple of emails, transferred calls because I didn't want to hurt my brain translating Spanish, rooted around in the supply closet for a binder and some tab dividers. I'm ready to go home now.
    Sounds like your honeymoon is over!

I've been shifting back and forth between projects all day. It's a miracle I even know where I am. I think I'll have with dinner tonight.

SW MI Planner: You can always have an entire container of shrimp lo mein by yourself. Be decadent.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    BF is at a conference and kids are at their respective parents until Friday. Love them all, but so excited to get home and into pj's and maybe have a glass of wine. Getting take-out for dinner (because me actually preparing something tonight would be no more than a bowl of cereal). What should I get, hmmmmm???
    Honey mustard boneless chicken wings!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Definitely kind of awkward to tell our new director that I'm leaving the place after he's only be there a few weeks. Planned to wait a bit longer to say I was leaving but it would have been even more awkward to sit through a meeting with him discussing what I'll be doing there in the future only to leave in few weeks.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Definitely kind of awkward to tell our new director that I'm leaving the place after he's only be there a few weeks. Planned to wait a bit longer to say I was leaving but it would have been even more awkward to sit through a meeting with him discussing what I'll be doing there in the future only to leave in few weeks.
    I just went through that whole deal in the past week, telling bosses and co-workers I'm leaving. Bad timing since the other person in my similar position just left less than 2 weeks ago, plus I just did a week-long education course on the City's dime, but what could I do? So finally leaving the planning and ED world (at least for a while). We'll see how the private sector RE world (aka "the dark side") treats me and then I'll report back.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    We'll see how the private sector RE world (aka "the dark side") treats me and then I'll report back.
    Oh noes! A formerly good buddy of mine, who was initially quite an environmentalist and chill guy, quit the public sector planning side and went private RE a few years ago and now he makes about 300k a year, wears suits everywhere, talks down to people and does blow on the weekends.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had another one of those moments at work that I never expected... There's a developer who's worked with one of my coworkers, and I now inspect one of his sites. When I found out about him, coworker told me that he's an amputee and has one leg. I didn't know why he told me that, and it seemed kind of rude to me.

Until the guy called me, and early in the conversation he told me that he's an amputee and can't get around a construction site. I asked that he come with someone who can get around and be able to report what we see, and what we discuss. Now I'm hearing that his condition tends to be an opening line - "Hello, do you remember me? I'm the guy with one leg."

I met him and his partner today. When I went to the truck window to speak to them, I saw that he was wearing shorts. And his prosthetic leg was freestanding on the truck floor in front of him, not at all connected to his leg where I' d expect it to be. He's a big, tall guy, and had little leg room to begin with, so I understand why he might not be wearing the prosthetic.

All I could focus on was the freestanding fake leg, and it all became silly to me. I'm usually a compassionate person, and I feel a little bad about finding humor in this. It was all I could do to keep a straight face, and shame on me.

This isn't as bad as the time I had to talk to the sick, old, undershort-wearing man, but it's pretty close.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Got new business cards...any suggestions on what to do with the 800 or so I have left over?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post

This isn't as bad as the time I had to talk to the sick, old, undershort-wearing man, but it's pretty close.
    I once had to deliver a late Planning and Zoning Commission packet to a guy in his 80's who answered the door in his boxers, and then invited me in. Luckily his wife was there and hauled him back inside their house.

Closed thread
Page 58 of 482 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 68 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141