Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 9 of 482 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Best of luck on the transition. I could probably stop eating meet altogether and it wouldn't really bother me but dairy would be another story. I would be lost without my cheese, ice cream, milk, etc.
    Same here, couldn't live without cheese. Good luck michaelskis! Just curious, how'd you decide to transition? Overall I've been trying to eat less processed foods, but this morning I had a sausage burrito from McD's and for lunch I had a butterfinger. Eek.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    <snip>

I have no idea what a Lincoln Log is. I suppose it is like a Lego?

<snip>
    Invented by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright, John Lloyd Wright, and based on the interlocking beam system his dad used for Imperial Tokyo Hotel. They were not named for Abraham Lincoln, but John Lloyd's original middle name. He changed it from Lincoln to Lloyd when his parents divorced in 1895. (FLW was one wacky dude.)
    Je suis Charlie

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Interview went well, I think. Now to wait 3 weeks for a response.
    Fingers crossed!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    potatoes and cabbage.
    Colcannon

mskis good luck with the vegetarian diet. I like veggies a lot, but I like meat too. In my 5 months in South Asia, I mostly ate vegetarian food with the occasional fish thrown in, chicken if it were a special occasion. My first meal back in the US was a steak and baked potato with sour cream and bacon.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Overlapping gig layers

Applied for an assn job. My former DDA boss is the one processing submitted materials for review. (Guess I can't use him as a reference for this one.)

Another pending application is for a position with an agency presently being grilled in the local newspaper's "live chat" situation. It's fairly amusing; this one local guy has harped for years about creating a downtown information booth. He's on the chat and poking, poking, prodding, borderline accusing. (The way to win friends and influence people in gummint is not to play the FOIA card.)

ETA: assn is a standard abbreviation used by the assn mgmt profession. You could look it up.
    Last edited by Veloise; 03 Jan 2013 at 2:40 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have a craving for a glazed donut, and I never buy donuts (except local apple cider donuts, in season).

Must be the cold temps going to my head.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I spent 60 + hours of my staff's time to challenge the Census. Result? +2

TOFB got it's first gig in wait for it Nashville!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Applied for an assn job.
    Oooh. I have always wanted to be an assassin, I just thought it would be a tough field to break into. I've heard you can make a killing though. Good luck
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I spent 60 + hours of my staff's time to challenge the Census. Result? +2
    Hey that's great if you are an entitlement community...

Very cool on Nashville - I spent a year there one afternoon but that's a different story...

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Oooh. I have always wanted to be an assassin, I just thought it would be a tough field to break into. I've heard you can make a killing though. Good luck
    I was thinking the same snark, Hink...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    TOFB got it's first gig in wait for it Nashville!
    Nashville as in Indiana or Tennessee ?

Tell me when and where - if on a fri or sat I might show up -
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Oh you'll find out soon enough, not to sound like one of those know-it-all snarky parents but you will! I actually love Lincoln Logs!
    Legos hurt bare feet when trod upon... Lincoln Logs underfoot are like banana peels.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Nashville as in Indiana or Tennessee ?

Tell me when and where - if on a fri or sat I might show up -
    Or North Carolina....
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Same here, couldn't live without cheese. Good luck michaelskis! Just curious, how'd you decide to transition? Overall I've been trying to eat less processed foods, but this morning I had a sausage burrito from McD's and for lunch I had a butterfinger. Eek.
    My wife has always been interested in how chemicals interact with the body, and even received a degree in Bio-phycology from UofM. About a year ago, when we found out that our second child was a high risk pregnancy, she started talking to a lot of the doctors that she works with, not only in the heart center, but also several other places. They suggested books to read, documentaries to watch, and things to consider. That is when she started the process into a more holistic approach to food and medicine. I came along kicking and screaming, but curious.

Well, she never stopped researching, and researching. Well, she came across a book called “The China Study” that talked about the connection between meat based diets and disease rates in China. That led to several other documentaries including Forks over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Hungry for Change Vegucated, and Food Matters. We learned about the environmental impacts of meat and dairy producing farms, the economic impact, but the health impact was the catch. According to several sites including the CDC, 7 of the top 10 leading causes of death in the US are at least in some way food related, and deaths from the top 4 of Health Disease, Cancer, Chronic Lower Repertory Diseases, and Stroke account for 84% of the top ten. All four have been scientifically proven to be directly caused or aggravated by processed meats or dairy and/or the chemicals used in the processing.

I am not going 100% vegetarian or vegan at this time. Instead of eliminating anything at this time, we are increasing the amount of plant based foods that we eat. For me, this includes eating one salad a day. But she has found all sorts of recipes for other stuff that can replace meat and dairy. Some of them look awesome and when we looked at how much they cost to make, it was about 25% less than a similar meat or dairy based food.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Hey beach_bum, were people still looking for a picture of you??? NCAPA Dec 2012 Newsletter You're in there somewhere
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Interview went well, I think. Now to wait 3 weeks for a response.
    Did you give them your Cyburbia passwword?

I just resigned from a part time job (non-planning). The board was as bad as your worst governing body. I didn't need the headaches. It felt so good to tell them to shove it.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Did you give them your Cyburbia passwword?
    Password? I thought we were supposed to subtly wear a red Macy's star. This could be why I've been passed over recently....they're thinking what's with the fat dude supporting communist China...?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I have no idea what a Lincoln Log is. I suppose it is like a Lego?
    Oh, child! I don't know where to start. Well, actually I do. You start with blocks. Then as you grow up you move on to Lincoln Logs. Then Tinker Toys, and finally Erector sets. Sheesh. Were you born in the elctronic age or something?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    This morning, I was informed by my youngest that people have parts of their body that are inappropriate for others to see. These parts are called "privates". The only person that should look at your privates is yourself. Anybody can look at your "publics" all they want except for blind people.

Her public service announcements often make me laugh, occasionally they frighten me, sometimes they do both.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Oh, child! I don't know where to start. Well, actually I do. You start with blocks. Then as you grow up you move on to Lincoln Logs. Then Tinker Toys, and finally Erector sets. Sheesh. Were you born in the elctronic age or something?
    As a child of the 1970s, how could you forget Girder and Panel sets? Along with Legos, they were among my favorite toys.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of Lincoln Logs - the two sets we have were both my wife's when she was little and are in very good shape with no pieces missing. We brought them down from her parents' house a couple of weeks ago and I've really enjoyed playing with them... and my daughter has really enjoyed knocking down my creations! I've been having so much fun with them that I thought about buying another set or two until I found that even the small sets are about $40 on Amazon!

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    As a child of the 1970s, how could you forget Girder and Panel sets? Along with Legos, they were among my favorite toys.
    I was a child of the 80s' but loved playing with those (along with Lego of course). My mom had bought a bunch of the girder sets for my older brothers but neither of them ever really played with them and one day when I was maybe 7 or 8 (probably around 1986) my mom found them in a closet barely touched... it was like a whole new world for somebody who only ever really liked Lego before that.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    This morning, I was informed by my youngest that people have parts of their body that are inappropriate for others to see. These parts are called "privates". The only person that should look at your privates is yourself. Anybody can look at your "publics" all they want except for blind people.

Her public service announcements often make me laugh, occasionally they frighten me, sometimes they do both.
    Ha! I like her already!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have been invited to be a guest lecturer at our local university to talk about all the exciting things one can do with a Geography degree. Must find something to talk about for an hour that won't put undergraduates to sleep!

Also, MW was just offered, and turned down, a job making almost twice what I make. Note to self: do not spank MW later. Drink gin instead.
    She gets phone calls like that every few months, so she doesn't feel as much pressure to take a good job when one comes along. Particularly since SeaMonkey is still too small for her to be away for too long and the job required a lot of travel.

I think I took a wrong turn on the career path.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Not exactly a child of the 1970s since I started college in 1969. But earlier in the 1960s I did have a Kenner Girder and Panel set. I had disremembered it. I especially liked the pumps and tubing. A little food coloring in the water and it was a blast to route it through the building. Maybe I should have gone into civil engineering.

Edit: I see that was called the Hydro-Dynamic set in the Girder and Panel line..

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Not exactly a child of the 1970s since I started college in 1969. But earlier in the 1960s I did have a Kenner Girder and Panel set. I had disremembered it. I especially liked the pumps and tubing. A little food coloring in the water and it was a blast to route it through the building. Maybe I should have gone into civil engineering.
    Then we can make all sorts of engineer jokes...

Closed thread
Page 9 of 482 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141