Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 97 of 482 FirstFirst ... 87 96 97 98 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 12050

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The smell of chicken noodle soup =
    You should have joined us for eggs benedict, strawberries, and sparkling wine this morning. Sure cure for the tummy issues.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Bought myself a dresser at Ikea yesterday, RT and I put it together since the man is not very handy. We were 4 people holed up in a 1 bedroom for a long time but we had a lot of closet space so we got by with the two we had. This apartment while larger doesn't have the same storage space so it's not been so organized and it's been bugging me. Now we each have a dresser and a closet and I have declared that there will be no encroachment on other people's space or the linen closet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My kid can't believe the days of DOS and no computer mice. So Grey Poupon is revisiting their commercials and there is no way of describing what "back in the day' way like. I am feeling so damn old tonight...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    When my wife was pregnant she could not see, be near or smell anything with chicken unless it was fried.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    If I don't freak out on any coworkers before this week is over it will be a miracle. We have our press conference for our kick off event for our comp plan, a steering committee meeting for our comp plan, and our kick off event(s).
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Monday. Yep.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    If I don't freak out on any coworkers before this week is over it will be a miracle. We have our press conference for our kick off event for our comp plan, a steering committee meeting for our comp plan, and our kick off event(s).
    No kicking the coworkers at the kick off.

I have another busy day week [channeling Lincoln] fortnight ahead, with several out-of-town trips to prepare for. Hello, Monday.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm back to the office after a two week Florida vacation. I was at least smart about my vacation planning this time and worked it out that I had a couple extra days at home after returning to Michigan instead of going back to work immediately.

I need to find a job that has 11 months of mandatory vacation a year...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I equate the smell of Campbell's chicken noodle soup with sickness, thanks to my mom.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Is this an all the time sensation or a pregnancy sensation? I remember one afternoon when my wife was pregnant and I was making chili in the crock pot - she made me move it out to the garage because the smell was getting to her so badly. This was the same recipe I had probably made 50 times before with never a complaint.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I liked Argo, but it wasn't the best movie in the category for me.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Slow in here today. Is there federal holiday that I didn't know about? Should I be home in my boxers still??
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Slow in here today. Is there federal holiday that I didn't know about? Should I be home in my boxers still??
    The answer is yes. But not to the federal holiday.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I liked Argo, but it wasn't the best movie in the category for me.
    I agree. Actually, of all of the movies in the category I thought Silver Linings Playbook represented the best all-around cinematic experience and was the closest to a "total package;" it had everything I look for in a movie--great cast, script & direction. It was funny, heart wrenching and uplifting, making a strong emotional connection with the audience. The topic of bipolar disorder has really never been addressed well in movies until this point--I felt like it connected with the audience in ways the other nominees simply didn't, and managed to depict bipolar in a manner that didn't make it some kind of caricature or come off as heavy-handed.

Argo hit a lull in the middle of the movie that could have benefitted from more editing. Also, I'm not a fan of directors also starring in their movies, though I think Argo has rightfully put Afleck in serious coversation as a top-flight director. I think he got shafted on the Oscar nomination, but we'll see him up there again.

Any other year Bradley Cooper wins best actor for his performance but nooooooo... Daniel Day-Lewis just had to make history for what was an admittedly incredible, unbeatable performance as Lincoln.

Jennifer Lawrence was an easy pick for best actress.

Anne Hathaway was a lock for best supporting actress, although Sally Field was really, really good in Lincoln. I don't particularly like Hathaway, but her performance was excellent.

Jones, Waltz & DeNiro all had outstanding performances as supporting actors--I don't think I could pick. Waltz was certainly worthy of a win.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    When I get a letter about a project from a resident, the only people who list their credentials in the closing are those in academia.

Dear Stupid Planner,

I'm opposed to this development because blah blah blah.

Sincerely,

John Smith PhD
    Richard Byrd Chair, Department of Antarctic Language and Cultural Studies
    Ivy League University
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    At least they sign them. When I get letters about a project they're full of conspiracy theories about how much money I take from the Feds or private developers and they're never signed except

- A Citizen Paying YOUR Salary!

"...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post

- A Citizen Paying YOUR Salary!

Whenever I get one of those people saying that they pay my salary, I want to reach in my pocket, give them a dime and tell them we're even.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    When I get a letter about a project from a resident, the only people who list their credentials in the closing are those in academia.

Dear Stupid Planner,

I'm opposed to this development because blah blah blah.

Sincerely,

John Smith PhD
    Richard Byrd Chair, Department of Antarctic Language and Cultural Studies
    Ivy League University
    He just wants you to know his dick is bigger than yours. Or at least he thinks so.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just how bad was that attempted joke about John Wilkes Booth at the Academy Awards ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Whenever I get one of those people saying that they pay my salary, I want to reach in my pocket, give them a dime and tell them we're even.
    No! They pay ALL of it. Don't you know that? You are a government sucker of the teet. I PAY FOR YOU!

Funny thing about that... I calculated once what someone who has a $150k home (about our median value) paid in my salary and it was less than $0.02. Lots of help those people are...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I realize that I am involved in a love/hate relationship with diet cola. I hate water. It tastes like poison to me. My glass is empty, the rattling dry bones of ice left in the bottom are depressing me.

I'm going for a drink. I can quit any time I want. I am a liar. Why can't I learn to love water?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I just got an e-mail from one of my favorite people, a friend I haven't talked to in years. It just made my day.

My son fractured his femur on this date 12 years ago. What a miserable Oddysey that was.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Close, a lot of offices have a furlough day today! Be glad you don't I know I am!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Closed thread
Page 97 of 482 FirstFirst ... 87 96 97 98 107 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141