Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 APA Conference - Chicago

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For those who want to attend but are concerned about costs the Ohio House is an old school Motel on Ohio in a trendy area N of the Chicago River. It may require walking a few blocks, but it will get you to where you need to be and it gets good reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Illinois.html

I am too busy and too broke to attend.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No conference, but I am in for the Laefest.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2002
    I'd be up for it if my request to go to the Conference is approved!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Let's pick the date for the laefest so we can see about booking travel.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Let's pick the date for the laefest so we can see about booking travel.
    That's a great idea because the date will dictate the World Champion SF Giants vs. tiny bears game we'll get tickets for. (Individual games tickets are not yet available.)
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    That's a great idea because the date will dictate the World Champion SF Giants vs. tiny bears game we'll get tickets for. (Individual games tickets are not yet available.)
    They seem to be available on StubHub but not directly from the Cubbies. Any reason not to buy from StubHub?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    They seem to be available on StubHub but not directly from the Cubbies. Any reason not to buy from StubHub?
    Oh, crap. I didn't think of StubHub...and tickets are available but not many.
    This makes it more urgent that we pick a day for the laefest. Are we looking at Saturday or Sunday?
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ went ahead and got tickets for the Saturday game, which is at noon. And we're thinking about taking the train out to the Oak Park area for a bit on Sunday, but that's not carved in stone. So we are available to meet up for drinks late afternoon either weekend day, or dinner either day.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Found out today from someone in my team going that the FAPA and National APA reduced rate rooms are already chewed up. Going to try to finagle a lower rate since we can guarantee 6 or 7 rooms each conference. Guess it will be a good turnout?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just got it over with and registered. I signed up for the Chicago Blues event Tuesday evening, it seemed like a good price and something interesting to do.

I got a room at the Marriott Residence Inn not far from the conference. When I got it, it was the same price for a one bedroom suite as the conference rooms, which are just rooms. Worth it for the extra space for me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ......I got a room at the Marriott Residence Inn not far from the conference......
    We're staying at the Homewood Suites at 40 E. Grand Avenue.

Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I'm trying to finagle a way to attend but the conference hotels are well over $200 a night plus close to $50 a day to park a car. Anybody familiar enough with Chicago and its hinterlands that you can suggest a suburb with decent commuter train access?
    I am likely booking my hotel through hotwire and taking the Amtrak from Milwaukee. I have a room reserved at the Hotel Felix (a 20 min walk away) just in case (around 120 a night) but I usually keep an eye on Hotwire for 3 star and up hotels on Hotwire in either the Mag Mile/River North area or the Loop. Once I see a decent price I'll book it. I have seen some 3 stars right now for about 117 a night but typically as the date comes closer I expect to see 4 or 4.5 star hotels drop to under 100. As I said, I always book a backup at an inexpensive place just in case they don't go down in price but i've rarely had to use that hotel. I'll just cancel once I book through hotwire. I almost exclusively use Hotwire when travelling, especially to Cities. I have no brand loyalty.

Of course Hotwire won't tell you the name, just the amenities, general location, and star rating. However if you use Hotwire and check out betterbidding.com, you can pretty much pinpoint the exact hotel you are going to get based on the amenities and star rating. For Chicago any hotel in the Mag Mile/River North neighborhood, Downtown Millenium Park/Grant Park, or the Loop/Theater District is going to be a pretty easy walk. Even the Gold Coast or Water Tower neighborhoods are a 30mon walk or quick train ride away.

If you need any assistance deciphering Hotwire hotels, let me know via pm.

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Any restaurant recommendations for the area around the conference hotel? No chains, of course. ZG has done tons of research and we have a good idea where we're eating...but suggestions/recommendations are always welcome. (I want an authentic Chicago deep-dish pizza. )
    Though I don't post much on here (lurk a bit) I'd still be up for grabbing a beverage or two.

As for restaurants, too many to list in that area. Lou Malnati's is usualy regarded as the best deep dish, it really good but not significantly better than other options like Ginos, in my opinion.

I like the burgers at Rockit on Hubbard but the clientele is pretty lame, especially as the night goes on. If you want to spend some decent money, I really liked Graham Elliot on Huron but its around 125 a person (w/o drinks) for the tasting menu. He has a couple of cheaper joints nearby but I have never tried them. Markethouse on Ohio is really good and more reasonably priced, kind of doing that farm-to-table stuff. Heaven on Seven is cheap and has excellent New Orleans fare. Its also great for breakfast.

For beers, I love the Clarke Street Ale house. Lots of great craft beer, knowledgable and friendly staff.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Just got word that the Federal APA has cancelled their workshop preceding the National APA conference citing lower than expected turnout. This is likely due to freezing and cutting of federal travel budgets this year. Of the respondents to an online poll, out of 260 only 50% planned on being there all three days. The F-APA is a different flavor that definitely serves a purpose I'm sad to see them have to cut this.

The email.

""Federal Planning Division Members, 2012 Training Workshop attendees, and 2013 Sponsors/Exhibitors:

Thank you very much for responding to the survey about the 2013 training workshop. The results showed that 50% of the 260+ respondents are planning to attend, but that many of you are concerned that you may wind up not being able to attend if the federal budget constraints and associated travel and training restrictions remain.

Given this response, the FPD Executive Committee held an emergency meeting this afternoon to discuss the viability of holding the 2013 workshop. With heavy hearts, we unanimously voted to cancel the planned 3-day training workshop, but we are considering other options. These options may include a shorter training workshop in April, a training workshop to be held later in the year, a series of webinars held at a later date, or perhaps other options.

As soon as we can make a determination about our other options, we will let you know. In the meantime, we recommend that you refrain from making any travel arrangements that can't be canceled.

For those of you who have registered to be a sponsor and/or exhibitor, we have been holding your checks and will return them to you shortly unless directed by you otherwise.

Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.""
    Last edited by Tide; 31 Jan 2013 at 8:01 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm in! I'm staying downtown at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel so I'm within walking distance anywhere near the conference hotel. It will be good to meet RJ, ZG and all the rest. As a former mod, and current occasional lurker, I'm hoping I'm still welcome!

Looking forward to balmy Chicago!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is shaping up to be a nice laefest. Lots of time to select the location, date and time.

We're looking forward to meeting you too, nerudite.

Just an FYI that bookit.com has rooms at the Hotel Sax, which is only a few blocks from the conference hotel, for 117 a night. You have to pay upfront but it is refundable if you cancel. A great price for such a nice hotel. Its nicer than the conference hotel for sure.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Just got it over with and registered. I signed up for the Chicago Blues event Tuesday evening, it seemed like a good price and something interesting to do.

I got a room at the Marriott Residence Inn not far from the conference. When I got it, it was the same price for a one bedroom suite as the conference rooms, which are just rooms. Worth it for the extra space for me.
    I think I've stayed there before. N off Michigan? My room was very nice and had views of sailboats as well as a free breakfast in the morning. If you find some salami slices behind the couch could you mail them to me?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Still trying to get to go to the conference. If it does not happen, I will still be at the laefest with another cyburbian lurker in tow. Will be in town Friday night through Monday.

100% positive for Laefest!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 1998
    So have we picked a day yet?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Re: LaeFest

I think the only two nights to avoid are Sunday night (opening reception) and the night y'all are headed to Wrigley (tickets still avail?)
    Last edited by Tide; 04 Feb 2013 at 5:29 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm good whatever night. It's looking like it's going to be a very fun group! Lots of us oldsters around.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Current Role Call looks like this:

Tide
    Masswich
    RJ
    ZG
    mendelman?
    michaelskis?
    TOFB?

Possible aLefest-ers:

Giff57
    SWMIPlanner
    Cardinal
    Sorry I am likley out for the laefest. Sending my staff so I can go to Seattle later in the budget year

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I think the only two nights to avoid are Sunday night (opening reception) and the night y'all are headed to Wrigley (tickets still avail?)
    Our tickets are for Saturday and the game starts at noon. There's no reason to believe we couldn't return from Wrigley for a Saturday evening laefest. We purchased the tix through StubHub. Since purchasing, I haven't checked to see if tix were still available.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I think Sat eve is good for the laefest. Especially with someone like giff who is coming in to meet up but not there for the conference. 5 or 6 p.m.? Can someone from the area suggest a venue?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I tried to go, but my manager wants me to pay half, which I can't afford right now. Our training budget is laughable. Next year, however.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 02 Oct 2013, 7:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Oct 2013, 8:25 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2013, 9:35 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 5:16 PM