Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: cyburbia and language issure hard to understand my threads

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

cyburbia and language issure hard to understand my threads

Has of late I got some complaints here that I'm troll or some thing.

That start of that I'm not native speaker and that I have struggled to understand replies to my threads here and many times people cannot understand me and what I'm asking or getting at.

Other thing I came to this site not knowing nothing about city planning or urban planning and yes over the years I lave learn stuff but still much to learn .

I have made many threads here and I think many people don't really know what I'm asking or trying to understand and I think main part of that is language issure.

I think Dan like some other here that know their stuff really well could summarize all my threads into just two threads .

1.why Canadian cities look different than American cities.

2 How car change the way city look and feel that was transitional period to car centric city that we have today that did not happin all at once.

After talking to some people they said 4 things .

1.Keep messages very short and to the point ( don't chat )
    2.Only ask one questions in the thread
    3.The question of thread should be what the thread title is about.
    4. If you have more question make other thread do not ask in the same thread.

But it little too late now has those thread where made year ago or more.

Other city planner was saying to me was Canadian cities where built on mix use model and higher desity where in the US starting in the 20's a lot of cities started to move way from that and that why the cities look different in Canada.

Those threads Dan tried to explain to me so called tax player block ,commercial strip,tight parking lot , very small parking a back of store side or front, one story store front so on of the 20's , 30's , 40's and 50's would than make perfect sense why cities in Canada does NOT have much of this if most cities the model was base on mix use and higher desity .

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello nec. I can understand your frustration. Language differences can cause communication issues. What is your primary language?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Hello nec. I can understand your frustration. Language differences can cause communication issues. What is your primary language?
    I'm pretty good at reading broken English from non-native speakers and getting the intended meaning from it. From the looks of his written English and based on where he is from, my assumption of nec's native language is Quebecois French. BTW, despite the errors here and there, IMHO, his written English is better than the written English that I've been seeing from many native USA English speakers these days (pretty sad, isn't it? ).

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm sorry you feel like you are having problems being understood nec.

All one can do is try and keep trying!
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Language Issues and Cyburbia
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Dec 2010, 2:43 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 29 Mar 2005, 1:28 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 14 Dec 2004, 4:39 PM