Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Lost and confused (like so many others)...advice?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Don't government employees have a tonne of job security? I thought that was the whole upside of working for the Government. A guaranteed salary and a guaranteed job, once you have one, you're in, you're done, you can stay until you choose to leave or die? lol.
    I think this was the case once upon a time, but I know a lot more laid-off planners formerly employed by city and county governments than I know people laid off by the private sector. As ad valorem tax revenues fall and pension problems and other issues mount, thousands of municipalities are literally on the brink of bankruptcy. How many planners do you think were laid off when New Jersey cancelled ARC? Over a hundred by my count. Or when California rolled up the local redevelopment agencies? Many hundreds, probably, maybe even thousands. What will happen if Detroit declares bankruptcy? Or perhaps the whole State of Illinois? Even fiscally OK cities have had layoffs.. several rounds of layoffs at the NYC's economic development agency I think... Frankly, these days, it's safer in the private sector. Pays better too.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Hah, I know essentially nothing about the US, but I get the picture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Hah, I know essentially nothing about the US, but I get the picture.
    Your assessment wasn't entirely incorrect. What you described does still happen at the federal level. You can easily stay in the federal government your entire career and move around within it if you want. The catch is those jobs are extremely difficult to get without some preferential hiring status.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    I think this was the case once upon a time, but I know a lot more laid-off planners formerly employed by city and county governments than I know people laid off by the private sector. As ad valorem tax revenues fall and pension problems and other issues mount, thousands of municipalities are literally on the brink of bankruptcy. How many planners do you think were laid off when New Jersey cancelled ARC? Over a hundred by my count. Or when California rolled up the local redevelopment agencies? Many hundreds, probably, maybe even thousands. What will happen if Detroit declares bankruptcy? Or perhaps the whole State of Illinois? Even fiscally OK cities have had layoffs.. several rounds of layoffs at the NYC's economic development agency I think... Frankly, these days, it's safer in the private sector. Pays better too.
    In my part of NJ (North Jersey), the private firm I currently work for has laid off 33% of their workforce in NY/NJ in the past 4 years. Last year, I was working for a large global Engineering firm in the city (1 Penn Plaza, New York Planners may know who I mean) - the transportation planning group at this firm had about 40 employees in 2010 and went down to 23 in 2012.

Each time a government decided to cut back something, we (the consultants) received a notice that the project was put on hold indefinitely. The firm st one point had 60% of the group literally sitting on their butts all day doing QAQC.

I was laidoff from that firm because NYCDOT reduced the scope of their on-call contract and the PANYNJ was forced to slow down their progress on the raising of the Bayonne Bridge due to a federal review (Army Corp of Engineers, EPA, Coast Guard, NEPA, ect) taking waay to long.

In short, The private sector is directly impacted by every political decision (at least here in NY and NJ). The ARC Tunnel's cancellation caused the layoffs of hundreds of planners working as consultants in the private sector. Every Planning agency outsources work to consultants for the most part (although NYMTC has hired NYCDCP to write the 2035 RTP and TIP) URS, AECOM, PB and Jacobs weren't too happy about that!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Confused about requirements
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 11:06 AM
  2. Lost: need advice
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Jun 2012, 7:36 PM
  3. Confused Bear