Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: INTERACTIVE MAP: Median income for every neighborhood in the U.S.

INTERACTIVE MAP: Median income for every neighborhood in the U.S.

Hey Cyburbia,

Longish-time reader, first-time poster here.

I thought you all might find this very useful. It's an interactive map that shows the median income of every U.S. neighborhood (i.e., Census Tract).

You can view it at http://www.RichBlocksPoorBlocks.com.

As a former Urban Planning student, this sort of data really helped me with my projects. I graduated over a year ago and have a good job now. Though I did read some helpful posts and links on this board, so I figured this site would be helpful to any planners who want quick access to this sort of economic info.

As an example, here's what the income map for Washington, D.C. looks like.

And if you all have any critiques or suggestions, just let me know.

One more thing: This site isn't red-green colorblind-friendly, but I'm (slowly) fixing this problem. It takes a bit of time to change the swatches, unfortunately...

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Very cool, ran smoothly for me.

Some method with more color range would be good, especially on the green side there seems to be a large group without much differentiation (I don't know what ranges the data gives you). Need some labels on the legend other than the two ends.

I see the info pop up on a click, but the box is big and needs to be closed, it just doesn't flow when looking at a bunch of zones. Maybe keep that but add a small box anchored to one corner showing the data from whatever tract the mouse is over? Showing population too if possible. You could expand the click info box to have a bunch of demographic info for people that wanted more.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by bourbon_planning View post
    It's an interactive map that shows the median income of every U.S. neighborhood (i.e., Census Tract)..
    cool. Thanks. One can observe all the different ways that the color red can be surrounded by a vast sea of green! ... hehe

Registered
    May 2004
    Very cool and awesome first post. I would echo RTG's comment about the color range. I was having a hard time figuring out what shade certain colors really were and what exact income range that shade was.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Thanks. I've been trying different colors, though they are varying degrees of weird looking on the Google Maps palette. Still, I bet there's a way to get around this problem.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jan 2012, 11:37 AM
  2. Median household income
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 11:48 AM
  3. Data source: median household income
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Jul 2007, 2:58 PM