Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quick decision about schools

Registered
    Jan 2015

Quick decision about schools

Hi,

I was a marketing undergrad who decided I wanted to become a city planner, I went to University of New Haven for a semester to try out some courses to make sure it was the right fit. I then applied to Northeastern and Rutgers. I was accepted into Northeaster's MURP program and received a scholarship. If I defer, like I was originally going to do before they told me about the scholarship, then I would have to give up the scholarship and risk not getting it in the fall. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from Rutgers about my acceptance yet. I know that Northeastern is not PAB certified. I don't really want to have three different masters program on my resume because that makes me look like a flake. I am extremely lucky and my parents are willing to pay for my schooling so money is not the issue. So my question is, how important is the PAB certification and would it be better to take the gamble and hope Rutgers accepts me or go with Northeastern and the scholarship?

Moderator note:
    Gedunker

Welcome to Cyburbia, shoe1. I moved your thread from the Introduce Yourself forum to the Student Commons forum since you are much more likely to get more and better answers to your question here. Carry on.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 07 Jan 2015 at 10:08 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    If money isn't an issue I would go for the PAB accredited school. The only difference long term is applying for your AICP. You have to have 3 years experience from a non-PAB accredited school and only 2 for a PAB-accredited school.

Have you put the two programs side by side? Which program has the courses you are most interested in? Does the 1 year matter?
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    If money isn't an issue I would go for the PAB accredited school. The only difference long term is applying for your AICP. You have to have 3 years experience from a non-PAB accredited school and only 2 for a PAB-accredited school.

Have you put the two programs side by side? Which program has the courses you are most interested in? Does the 1 year matter?
    Ditto. I would go with the free money, but if that's not a problem go with a PAB school.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Gotta say, I am fairly familiar with the planning schools in New England. Northeastern is not high on my rankings list. They have Mike Dukakis and a couple of good regional economists but they really specialize in public administration not planning. Rutgers is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Jan 2014, 6:58 PM
  2. Quick question about getting an interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Oct 2008, 5:29 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 12:51 PM
  4. Quick Reactions