Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UPenn - Funding/ Scholarship questions

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2014

UPenn - Funding/ Scholarship questions

Hi guys,

As I just submitted my first application to U British Columbia, I realized how costly this whole grad school application thingy is! It costs me almost $140 just to submit the application PLUS $25 to send my GRE score. Not to mention the money require to send the transcript. Oh god... Anyway, to make it short, due to my financial shortage, I am reconsidering my list so that I can opt out the schools that I am either not going to even if I get accepted or the one that is unlikely to offer much funding ( being an international student, money is tremendously burdensome for me ). My question is that if anyone knows much about the funding opportunity of UPenn? As I did a quick research, it seems like they are not that generous. Because I feel that the program is somehow not too suited to me, I am considering taking it out of my list if they don't offer large funding that often. But I'm still hesitant. The Ivy League name just.. makes it too hard to let it go. I'd appreciate any response. Thank you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

Penn's funding

Penn's initial tuition is so high that even the scholarship money they offer most people isn't enough.
    HOWEVER, it is a school that is known to negotiate. Initially when I applied I got $3,000 and then I followed up and they upped it to $8,000. I've heard this happen to other people as well.

So it's worth a shot I guess? I've heard the program is really good for physical planning and hands on projects (infrastructure, transportation, urban design, real estate development etc). Not as much for economic development or international studies.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    UBC probably isn't going to offer funding. That's somewhat uncommon in Canadian schools.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Graduate/Masters New Urbanist scholarship
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 12:34 PM
  2. School: Penn UPenn Funding
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 Mar 2014, 9:35 PM
  3. Scholarship review
    Student Commons