Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I took the GRE four years ago, should I take it again?

Registered
    Nov 2010

I took the GRE four years ago, should I take it again?

Greetings everyone!

I'm currently in the process of applying to a few schools (Rutgers, UCLA, Georgia Tech, UT - Austin, University of Washington). I've took the GREs in the Winter of 2010 and I got Verbal: 610, Quantitative: 640 and Essay: 4. I have a regrettable 2.95 GPA (3.17 Jr/Sr Year GPA) but I have experience interning for a Non-Profit NGO that works on sustainable mapping and community development as well as almost 4 years of military experience (enlisted for the GI bill).

It's been a while since I familiarized myself with the Math and Vocabulary but I feel like I've been able to improve on my writing. I'm willing to devote two months of preparation and take the test in November, but the risk of getting a lower score is still there. Do you guys/gals think my scores would be good enough to have me accepted to these institutions or should I re-take it since having 4 year old test results would be a red flag/the scores aren't high enough to compete?

I would retake, especially for funding prospects. I don't think your scores will keep you from getting admitted, but might eliminate you from any competitive fellowships (which are, unfortunately, often dependent on factors like test scores).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 6:06 PM
  2. 9-11 seven years later
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Sep 2008, 12:54 PM
  3. Where were you 25 years ago when....
    Friday Afternoon Club