Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Offers and Interviews

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East of the Divide
    Posts
    11

    Offers and Interviews

    Hello All,

    I've been lucky enough to secure interviews at each of the three places that I applied to. Though each place had a closing date that was fairly close to one another, one jurisdiction (jurisdiction 1) moved incredibly fast and extended an offer almost immediately after interviewing. While I'm thrilled to have been given this offer, one of the jobs that I applied to extended me the ability to interview at the same time (jurisdiction 2). I interviewed with jurisdiction 2 a week after interviewing for jurisdiction 1 and while the interview dates are close, jurisdiction 1 had hoped to have an answer the week that I initially interviewed and allowed me to stall until the end of the next week. jurisdiction 2 won't be providing an answer in terms of who they have picked until early in the following week. Now, jurisdiction 3 extends me an interview as well, and has multiple openings (3).

    I'm conflicted. I hit it off with jurisdiction 1; however, the salary for the position is 8k lower than jurisdiction 2 at the lower end, and 15k on the higher end. Jurisdiction 3 provides a great deal of stability and prestige, but I think I wouldn't be right to even consider interviewing there. I do have until Friday to make this decision, however. My question is this: is it wrong to request that jurisdiction 1 waits a couple more days on an answer, so long as I provide them a clear explanation as to why I'm waiting? Would you wait? The last thing I want to do is find out that I get jurisdiction 2 at a full level higher (15k) a couple days after I've accepted a job with jurisdiction 1. Further, I think it would be highly unethical to accept the job at jurisdiction 1 only to turn around and recant it I get a job elsewhere.

    Any thoughts are appreciated!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    America's Happiest City
    Posts
    4,909
    Accept #1 by the end of the deadline. If number #2 says they want you, than you can back out. We always have candidate #2 or #3 in the wings. Yea, it blows, but hey, it is why we have a list to select from. Also, once you accept it may take awhile just to start. You may need to do a physical, etc. I know this sounds douchy but you have to look out for who's best here. YOU.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,661
    I agree with Raf, just because you accept an offer doesn't mean you are obligated to actually start employment. Any place that is hiring should have a list of alternates in case their first choice falls through. It happens all the time and while it sucks, hiring managers know most people applying for jobs are applying to multiple places. At the same time, if you have two offers you can sometimes use one as a bit of leverage to negotiate a higher salary but be careful as one may reject your negotiation and may even rescind your offer.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East of the Divide
    Posts
    11
    I can't lie -- I'm surprised to see that this is the response. With that line of thinking, it seems like I should interview at #3 just to get all the info. While that is best for me, I think it could burn bridges. It's a small profession in an average sized state, which is why I was so concerned.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally posted by Midwestern View post
    I can't lie -- I'm surprised to see that this is the response. With that line of thinking, it seems like I should interview at #3 just to get all the info. While that is best for me, I think it could burn bridges. It's a small profession in an average sized state, which is why I was so concerned.
    I agree with your concern and you are right it is a small profession and you never want to burn any bridges. If you are courteous in any turning down of an offer I think you have little to worry about. At the same time you need to make a timely decision so you aren't holding up the process. I would be hesitant in interviewing for the 3rd position if you have one offer in hand and a potential one coming very soon. You are further along in the process with places 1 and 2, while place 3 may not make any offer for a few more weeks.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally posted by Midwestern View post
    I can't lie -- I'm surprised to see that this is the response. With that line of thinking, it seems like I should interview at #3 just to get all the info. While that is best for me, I think it could burn bridges. It's a small profession in an average sized state, which is why I was so concerned.
    I was in a similar situation a few years back. I accepted an offer with every intent of joining the company. I was awaiting a background check and other red tape. During this time, a second employer reached out to me wanting an interview. I informed them that I already accepted the job, but they encouraged me to interview anyway. I ended up getting an offer from the second employer that had better career advancement opportunities. I didn't want to burn bridges, but it was clear that the second offer was a superior opportunity.

    I polity called up the first employer and explained that I was withdrawing my acceptance of the first job to go with the second. It did burn a bridge although it was never my intent to lie or mislead. I just needed gainful employment and applied to every job announcement I could find.

    In hindsight, my decision to go with the second offer was absolutely the right one as I love the job. Plus there has been significant turnover and other problems with the first employer. I like to think things happen for a reason.
    The content contrarian

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    9,920
    I agree with the above. I would also set up the interview with #3 and when you decide one of the others is the one you want, you can cancel. A couple other thoughts came up.

    1) Have you countered offer #1? If you have not, you may want to ask them to sweeten the deal. Salary, vacation time, moving costs, etc. are all on the table.
    2) You could approach #2 and let them know you have an offer. I did this the last time I worked for somebody else. I told #2 that I had an offer from #1 and that I needed to have a response to them by a certain data. This let them make a decision and get back to me in time. They may tel you they want you, they are not considering you, or they can't get a decision that quick, but at least you would know.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Masswich's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ocean to the east, land to the west
    Posts
    1,059
    Maybe I am the exception here but I would recommend you think very carefully before accepting an offer with the thought you may rescind that acceptance later. If they are still going through paperwork, physicals, etc., that may give you a little wiggle room. However, if someone did that to me I would make sure to let everyone I knew in our small job market know about it. It seems very underhanded.

    Why not instead use the offer from #1 to rush #2 and #3 along? It is more honest and doesn't involve lying to people.

    Having said all of that, I guess I wouldn't rule out rescinding an acceptance if it were truly the right thing to do. But you will burn bridges and you never know when that may come back to haunt you.

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East of the Divide
    Posts
    11
    I appreciate all of the advice. I did explain to #2 that I have an offer and would like to do my best to reply to them in a timely manner. They are unable to speed up their process, but did give me a firm date by which they will make their decision. I've informed #1 of this and requested an extension of the offer acceptance date to that date after being completely transparent with them. The supervisor was out, but will let me know in the morning. I may accept an interview with #3 to hedge my bets, ultimately understanding that it is easy to turn down an interview if I accept a position. Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to let you know what I ultimately decide.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East of the Divide
    Posts
    11
    Said I'd provide an update, so here goes...

    #1 took a while to get my official offer to me, came in 2nd for #2, and #3 ended up being the perfect job with an offer that completely outshined anything I expected. Interestingly, the offer for #3 came the same day the official offer arrived for #1. I felt pretty bad about changing my mind on #1until my wife was offered a position near #3. Hopefully all works out well for all parties in the end.

    Thanks for your help, everyone! This was one of the more stressful situations that I have dealt with in my career. The advice here was instrumental in giving me the courage to do what I felt was right for my family and for my career.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,661
    Congrats on the offers and I am very happy to hear it worked out for you!

  13. #13
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally posted by Midwestern View post
    Said I'd provide an update, so here goes...

    #1 took a while to get my official offer to me, came in 2nd for #2, and #3 ended up being the perfect job with an offer that completely outshined anything I expected. Interestingly, the offer for #3 came the same day the official offer arrived for #1. I felt pretty bad about changing my mind on #1until my wife was offered a position near #3. Hopefully all works out well for all parties in the end.

    Thanks for your help, everyone! This was one of the more stressful situations that I have dealt with in my career. The advice here was instrumental in giving me the courage to do what I felt was right for my family and for my career.
    :o)
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Deciding between two job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 3:44 PM
  2. Offers dilemma
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 May 2010, 1:21 AM
  3. Choosing between 2 job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Dec 2006, 12:37 AM
  4. Counter offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 1:54 PM
  5. Job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Jul 2006, 11:38 AM