Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oak Park IL

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Oak Park IL

I see there are images from other Cyburbians but I thought I'd add mine from our death march.
    If it wasn't cold and didn't snow, I'd seriously consider this location.
    A beautiful community--we didn't even scratch the surface.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Some gorgeous homes there and most have been very well restored with very few teardowns which is pretty common in other desirable first ring suburbs of Chicago such as Elmhurst and Hinsdale to name a few.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Oak Park is one of my favorite suburbs (which is a relative term.) The unique and significant architecture and the transit access to downtown are great. I had a friend whose parents lived there, so one day I got a walking tour of the city from someone who lived there and also understood the architectural significance of the buildings. Really great.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Great shots, RJ. I see you found the center of the FLW Historic District. What a great concentration of some of his best designs.

I agree that it is a very nice community to live in, since I actually lived there for 4.5 years and was even on the Plan Commission for 8 months.

Here are some of my past photo threads of Oak Park:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31635

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...light=oak+park

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...light=oak+park
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    I love Oak Park! I grew up in Naperville, but went to high school for a year in River Forest next door to OP. I like all of the FLW architecture, as well as the new downtown. I am not a fan of the redlining history of OP.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Great shots! Great looking place. It reminds me a lot of the Capitol Hill neighborhoods in my own SLC. I should get off my lazy arse and take some shots out there.

Always enjoy the photos, RJ. Keep em coming....even if you have to walk your tushy off to get them.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wasn't going to post these because they didn't come out very good. But since FLW was mentioned, I'll post his home and studio.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Very cool architecture. Much nicer than Oak Park, MI. Maybe some nice weekend this summer I'll head over there and get some pictures for comparison's sake.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Very cool architecture. Much nicer than Oak Park, MI. Maybe some nice weekend this summer I'll head over there and get some pictures for comparison's sake.
    Nothing is better than Oak Park Michigan. I hear Birmingham and Royal Oak are jealous of it. Be sure to get plenty of pics along the main drag of tattoo parlors, one week car insurance places, and nail shops. The Main Drag is Nine Mile. That is one whole number above Eight Mile!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Nothing is better than Oak Park Michigan. I hear Birmingham and Royal Oak are jealous of it. Be sure to get plenty of pics along the main drag of tattoo parlors, one week car insurance places, and nail shops. The Main Drag is Nine Mile. That is one whole number above Eight Mile!
    I grew up on 28 Mile. That should tell you how much better I am in than Eight Milers.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I grew up on 28 Mile. That should tell you how much better I am in than Eight Milers.
    I lived between Two and Three Mile for my first 25 years, by One Mile for nearly the next 20, now I am near Five Mile. Therefore this makes me the dregs of a City full of Dregs! It could be worse though, at least I am heading up instead of making a hard drop from 28 Mile to 15 Mile!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Oak Park was Chicago's original streetcar suburb. I grew up in Elmhurst a few towns over so went over there plenty since the high school was one of our rivals. Nice town and it probably has more world class architecture per capita than almost anywhere.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been there a few times. Once was by myself to wander down the streets and to check out the homes. Really quite a unique place. Also did the FLlW home tour.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I lived between Two and Three Mile for my first 25 years, by One Mile for nearly the next 20, now I am near Five Mile. Therefore this makes me the dregs of a City full of Dregs! It could be worse though, at least I am heading up instead of making a hard drop from 28 Mile to 15 Mile!
    I prefer Maple over 15 Mile. It has a nicer ring to it.

Along with a possible photo comparison of Oak Park, IL v Oak Park, MI I think we may need one of Highland Park, IL v Highland Park, MI.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Asbury Park (NJ)
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 6:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 10:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 10:27 AM