+ Reply to thread

Thread: Messing with Tradition - Monopoly replacing the game pieces

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Messing with Tradition - Monopoly replacing the game pieces

Meet the new 'Monopoly' tokens
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...hange/1805387/

Hasbro has launched a "Save Your Token" campaign to retire either the race car, iron, Scottie dog, wheelbarrow, shoe, top hat, thimble or battleship.
    The company is letting fans vote until Feb. 5 for the one they want to keep via the Monopoly Facebook page.
    The one with the lowest total goes directly — and permanently — to jail.
    Will you vote for your favorite to save it ?

Monopoly Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monopoly
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't play Monopoly, but my son does, so I asked him. "No." he said.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    i was always the ship. I felt sorry for my mom, who always got stuck with the thimble.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Marketing/publicity ploy plain and simple....what, someone just figured out one of the tokens didn't work after 80 years of being the mos popular game in the world?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    i was always the ship. I felt sorry for my mom, who always got stuck with the thimble.
    The Thimble was my favorite piece.

Board games are just not a "cool" as they once were. I would imagine sales have declined. So they are trying to make it cool again or something. Pretty big waste of time and money if you ask me.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Pretty big waste of time and money if you ask me.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I suspect this is in fact a rather sophisticated and intentional "New Coke" marketing ploy. What this does is to temporarily redirect people's attention to something that's been around their whole life. No matter which piece gets voted least popular, there's going to be a sizeable contingent of folks up in arms, crying foul that was their favorite token and how can you think of erasing all those fond childhood memories by getting rid of that blah blah blah. Then they'll announce a date several months in advance when the new version will be released with the new token. Right now I'll wager they are ramping up production/inventories of the 'old' version to give the public/collectors one last chance to buy their copy of the game before it is gone....forever. After the new version is released they are hoping there will be enough sound and fury that the company will have go back and re-offer the original "classic" edition (ala Coke Classic - see the aftermath section of that wiki article). The end result being a 120% increase in 2nd quarter sales of Monopoly TM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I suspect this is in fact a rather sophisticated and intentional "New Coke" marketing ploy. What this does is to temporarily redirect people's attention to something that's been around their whole life. No matter which piece gets voted least popular, there's going to be a sizeable contingent of folks up in arms, crying foul that was their favorite token and how can you think of erasing all those fond childhood memories by getting rid of that blah blah blah. Then they'll announce a date several months in advance when the new version will be released with the new token. Right now I'll wager they are ramping up production/inventories of the 'old' version to give the public/collectors one last chance to buy their copy of the game before it is gone....forever. After the new version is released they are hoping there will be enough sound and fury that the company will have go back and re-offer the original "classic" edition (ala Coke Classic - see the aftermath section of that wiki article). The end result being a 120% increase in 2nd quarter sales of Monopoly TM.
    My aren't we the cynical one? Companies/corporations would never do such a thing
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I don't like to play, but my son does. When I get corralled into a game, I avoid the iron and the race car because they are the hardest to pick up. I prefer the thimble.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I always went for the shoe. If I got to the race car first, my older brother would rip it out of my hands.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Monopoly needs to change a lot more than its tokens to compete these days. With games like Catan, Ticket to Ride, and many others storming the table game world, old standbys with potentially high negative player experience (we've all been on that side of a Monopoly game, just waiting to be crushed when don't roll those two numbers that save us) need to revamp the way they are played, not cheap tricks like this. #SaveTheBattleship though I think the Ring would fit with the classic set nicely.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Don't take away the sports car. That's my favorite piece, followed by the Scottie Dog. If they're going to get rid of anything, it should be the iron. Nobody likes the iron. I don't know anybody who likes the shoe, either. The wheelbarrow tips over a lot, so I wouldn't miss it either.

The new pieces? Meh.

* Cat? There's already the Scottie dog.

* Diamond ring? It would break with the pot metal that Monopoly pieces are made from.

* Guitar? A blatant appeal to hipsters. Might as well be a mustache.

* Helicopter? There's already several different forms of transportation: sports car, wheelbarrow (in developing nations, at least), and battleship. Helicopters weren't around in the 1930s.

* Toy robot? The best of a bad lot.

IMHO, they should bring back the cannon and horse.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dan look close, they put the mustache on the robot. D@mn hipster robots.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If Monopoly used streets in Buffalo, game pieces would be:

* The Snowblower
    * The Bingo Blotter
    * The Hockey Stick
    * The Chicken Wing
    * The Labatt Blue Bottle
    * The Brown and Tan Mutt Dog
    * The Virgin Mary
    * The Flamingo

The Special Edition set would also include:

* The Football
    * The 1998 Saturn S-Series
    * The Butane Lighter
    * The Cigarette Butt
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    If Monopoly used streets in Buffalo, game pieces would be:

* The Snowblower
    * The Bingo Blotter
    * The Hockey Stick
    * The Chicken Wing
    * The Labatt Blue Bottle
    * The Brown and Tan Mutt Dog
    * The Virgin Mary
    * The Flamingo

The Special Edition set would also include:

* The Football
    * The 1998 Saturn S-Series
    * The Butane Lighter
    * The Cigarette Butt
    Haven't there been regional editions of Monopoly? Or did I imagine that?

I LOVED playing board games when I was a kid. A friend of mine mentioned that her young daughter enjoys Monopoly. I offered to come over and join them sometime.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    No you did not imagine that. Here is a list of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Monopoly:_USA
    There is no Macy's edition.

and there is this list: http://jergames.blogspot.com/2006/02...-versions.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    It's funny what we think is sacred. I would have imagine that the hardest of hardcore monopoly players would have a custom made playing piece that they would tote to game to game in a custom case. Similar to this...

It's interesting that they are doing this with public comment. I guess Hasbro has a planner on staff.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

I LOVED playing board games when I was a kid. A friend of mine mentioned that her young daughter enjoys Monopoly. I offered to come over and join them sometime.
    I alos enjoyed it as a kid. As for the first question, yes. There have been regional editions (I have one from a previous place I worked.) There are also ones that are based Universities.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 14 Jan 2013 at 10:00 AM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    there are also communities that have had life size monopoly games as fund raisers in their downtowns. http://www.psfk.com/2012/07/play-mon...o-streets.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Messing with time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 04 Mar 2014, 6:06 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 6:20 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2003, 12:54 PM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last post: 18 Dec 2002, 12:50 PM