Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Super Chicken Drive--and other interesting street names

Registered
    Jan 2013

Super Chicken Drive--and other interesting street names

Here is an interesting article that was in the newspaper a few days ago about Super Chicken Drive, one of the most talked about streets in the United States. I would love to hear about more interesting streets if people want to post them on the thread. The link is listed below if you want to see the actual story.

Jan. 8, 2013 David Leighton Arizona Daily Star

Just north of Tanque Verde Road and west of Pantano Road is a street with one of Tucson's quirkiest names: Super Chicken Drive.

In early 1980, John Shoecraft, a Phoenix developer and hot-air balloonist, asked his friend Sheila Ripps to draw a logo character of the mythical Phoenix bird for his hot-air balloon.

She created a colorful character and showed it to Shoecraft, who exclaimed, "That's not a Phoenix bird; it's a super chicken." Still, Shoecraft liked the character and decided to put it on his balloon.

The character was the inspiration for Shoecraft's Super Chicken Across America adventure, his attempt to cross the United States in a hot-air balloon. According to Shoecraft, "Super Chicken is in all of us; he represents freedom of spirit and the courage to reach beyond our limitations - to dream and make those dreams come true."

On Sept. 20, 1980, Shoecraft and co-pilot Ron Ripps launched the Super Chicken, a 10-story helium balloon above a 9-foot-diameter gondola, from Oceanside, Calif. Two days later, they were forced down by thunderstorms near Columbus, Ohio. Shoecraft jumped from the gondola after an emergency landing failed, making the gondola immediately lighter and causing the balloon to propel upward to an altitude of 1,200 feet.

Ripps parachuted for the first time, to safety.

Super Chicken II took off from a football field about 30 miles north of San Diego on Dec. 3, 1980. This was the second attempt at flying nonstop across the U.S. in a helium-filled balloon, but this time it was in winter. Inside the gondola, temperatures were 12 to 16 degrees above zero. Two days later, the balloon developed a helium leak and was forced to land in a pasture in southwestern Kansas.

Super Chicken III departed Oct. 9, 1981, from Costa Mesa, Calif. This time, Shoecraft's sidekick was veteran pilot Fred Gorrell. They traveled 2,515 miles, landing on Blackbeard Island off the coast of Georgia on Oct. 12. In the process, they got their names into the Guinness Book of World Records as the first pilots to cross the U.S. in a helium-filled balloon.

Shoecraft named Super Chicken Drive after the character in about 1983 while building an apartment complex, now called the Estancia Apartments, that is on the street. North Gondola Way, which is close to Super Chicken Drive, is named after the balloon's gondola.

According to a former resident of the area, the street sign was stolen several times and eventually was not replaced.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/stre...2967dd757.html

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Welcome to Cyburbia! I grew up less than a mile from there. Super Chicken Drive was the backway into my neighborhood. I have not thought about that in years...thank you for the memory.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Welcome to Cyburbia! I grew up less than a mile from there. Super Chicken Drive was the backway into my neighborhood. I have not thought about that in years...thank you for the memory.
    That is fantastic. Added to the list of strange things I did not know about Brocktoon.

Arizona seems to be a hotbed for unual names for places. We have cities and towns called Surprise, Bumble Bee, Crown King, and Carefree to go along with wacky street names everywhere. In Carefree they really went with the spirit of the town's name and named the streets things like "Easy Street", "Lazy Lane", "Nonchalant Avenue", "Rocking Chair Road", and "Never Mind Trail".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Virginia Beach has Pleasure House Road. Though supposedly it is not named for a brothel: http://hamptonroads.com/2007/07/what...virginia-beach

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All the street names are so stodgy around here. Always named for presidents, trees or city fathers. And the occasional urban renewal road they never got around to naming, like "New Road"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    That is fantastic. Added to the list of strange things I did not know about Brocktoon.

Arizona seems to be a hotbed for unual names for places. We have cities and towns called Surprise, Bumble Bee, Crown King, and Carefree to go along with wacky street names everywhere. In Carefree they really went with the spirit of the town's name and named the streets things like "Easy Street", "Lazy Lane", "Nonchalant Avenue", "Rocking Chair Road", and "Never Mind Trail".
    I think Arizona is a hotbed for the rapid growth and need to name new streets. FYI, I used to work for Surprise, AZ (I have stories, but in this forum they're typical).
    My favorite was Peoria, AZ that has Avenida Del Sol Road. That's right, its The Sun Avenue Road.

Another good Arizona name, Table Mesa Road, it leads to Table Mesa. Spanish translation seems to create a lot of repeat words.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    We've got Chevy Chase Drive in Houston. The street has been around long before the comedian/actor.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm on Chevy Chase Drive and you're not!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Canadian street names
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 5:41 PM
  2. 'H' Street Names Needed
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 4:16 PM
  3. Street names beginning with E
    Land Use and Zoning