Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MA Governor wants to dismantle local housing authorities

Registered
    Jan 2005

MA Governor wants to dismantle local housing authorities

Interesting controversy brewing over local housing authorities in MA. Governor has had it with the political hacks.

Story here:
    http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...zMN/story.html

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    For the Commonwealth, this might be a good idea but yeah he will run into violent resistance due to home rule political attitudes...

Registered
    May 2004
    Didn't this already happen in Michigan?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd love to see Wisconsin do that with its obscene overabundance of local governments.

Mike

I hope the governor succeeds. Massachusetts needs to break the stranglehold of 351 local governments, each with total home rule rights.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'd love to see Wisconsin do that with its obscene overabundance of local governments.

Mike
    I agree. We are one of the states that has too many local government entities. Towns are especially a problem. Either incorporate with all of the responsibilities of a village/city, or simply be a rural part of the county.

Here, housing authorities or community development and housing authorities are created by city or village governments and are not a separate entity. While they do have some powers granted to them, they can only be executed with the approval of the city council/village board.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I hope the governor succeeds. Massachusetts needs to break the stranglehold of 351 local governments, each with total home rule rights.
    The opposing view, of course, is that housing ought to be in the purview of towns/cities rather than having the state decide what's best for them. And there is the question of whether things will be better off under state control.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Virtually all of what public housing authorities do is manage existing housing, for which there is considerable economies of scale. Consolidating them makes sense for that reason. However, some housing authorities also are starting to develop new affordable housing like CDC's, which are operated by subsidiaries. That innovation might be lost with consolidation.

Mass. also is one of only 2 states with state public housing (although a lot of it was federalized under a loophole under ARRA) so the stakes are higher than in many states.

My thought is that the best housing authorities, like Brookline and Cambridge, should remain independent but most of the others should be consolidated. But do I think it will happen? No, too much political pushback.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Quirks of your local housing market
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 22 Jul 2014, 12:17 PM
  2. Local Housing Preservation Site
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Aug 2002, 5:18 PM
  3. Overlapping Authorities
    Design, Space, and Place