Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any particular preparation before starting classes for a Masters Program in Planning?

Any particular preparation before starting classes for a Masters Program in Planning?

I was wondering if anyone out there is doing any particular preparations before attending a Masters' program in City Planning (like textbooks, software, etc.)

Registered
    Apr 2013

Planning Prep

Quote Originally posted by koshy1123 View post
    I was wondering if anyone out there is doing any particular preparations before attending ...
    So do you mean preparations before being accepted to an accredited planning degree program ?

Or do you mean that you have been accepted into a program and are wanting to bone-up before starting classes ?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by koshy1123 View post
    I was wondering if anyone out there is doing any particular preparations before attending a Masters' program in City Planning (like textbooks, software, etc.)
    The search function on this site will reap rewards.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Quote Originally posted by Plan_F View post
    So do you mean preparations before being accepted to an accredited planning degree program ?

Or do you mean that you have been accepted into a program and are wanting to bone-up before starting classes ?
    The latter...

Registered
    Apr 2013

The Green Bible ...

At least in the U.S., most of us would probably say get "The practice of local government planning" by Charles Hoch, Linda C. Dalton, Frank S. So, American Planning Association, ICMA University.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    I would suggest to start searching in forums, blogs and sites related with planning to get an idea... See Planetizen, APA, Global Site Plans etc...or if you can visit an academic library probably you can find a lot of related publications. If you want to get an idea of the spatial planning system in USA check the Planning and Urban Design Standards (APA) or for something more theoretical the "The Urban and Regional Planning Reader"(Ladner Birch). Peter Hall, Jane Jacobs, Allan B. Jacobs, Kevin Lynch, Christopher Alexander and Mike Davis are the most famous authors... Also check here: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/pla...tialbooks.html

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Plus for software check Sketchup (easier+free) and if you want you can find youtube tutorials for GIS, Autocaud and Rhino.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Never hurts to sit in on available public planning hearings.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Check this:

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    enjoy the summer. you'll be busy soon enough!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Apr 2012, 8:29 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 3:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 May 2008, 5:14 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 5:18 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jul 2006, 10:35 AM