Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Something that says "I take this sh** (too) seriously": AIB Big Owl

  1. #1
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,804

    Something that says "I take this sh** (too) seriously": AIB Big Owl

    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I would have imagine that the hardest of hardcore monopoly players would have a custom made playing piece that they would tote to game to game in a custom case.
    first, let me begin by saying....

    When you see someone bringing their own bowling ball, shoes, rosin, etc to the alley you think nothing of it. It might raise an eyebrow if you're playing pool with someone and they break out their own cue stick and case, instead of the house sticks, but it's not unheard of. I'm trying to think of other scenarios/venues similar to Owl's example where bringing your own special gear/equipment because it means you take that shit seriously might be viewed as ostentatious behavior, or even downright strange.

    - How about the guy who walks into a beer pub/brewhaus with a pint mug that has his initials engraved on it?
    - A planner-type who shows up to pre-con meeting with a chrome-plated engineer scale (which also has its own decoartive pearl inlay leather case that hooks to one's belt)?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  2. #2
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,731
    - I bring my own keyboard with built in shortcuts to do GIS on other people's desktops...

    - I make three portfolios for interviews. One for the interview, one in case the first gets ruined, and one for the end of the world.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  3. #3
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    first, let me begin by saying....

    When you see someone bringing their own bowling ball, shoes, rosin, etc to the alley you think nothing of it. It might raise an eyebrow if you're playing pool with someone and they break out their own cue stick and case, instead of the house sticks, but it's not unheard of. I'm trying to think of other scenarios/venues similar to Owl's example where bringing your own special gear/equipment because it means you take that shit seriously might be viewed as ostentatious behavior, or even downright strange.

    - How about the guy who walks into a beer pub/brewhaus with a pint mug that has his initials engraved on it?
    - A planner-type who shows up to pre-con meeting with a chrome-plated engineer scale (which also has its own decoartive pearl inlay leather case that hooks to one's belt)?
    I understand that it causes quite a stir in Buffalo when Dan walks in with his custom curling stone and broom. Of course, if he took them in to curling venues instead of singles meet-ups, it might not seem so strange.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  4. #4
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    I've been at a sushi restaurant before when people bring their own fancy-pants chopstix in a fancy-pants case.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  5. #5
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,804
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I've been at a sushi restaurant before when people bring their own fancy-pants chopstix in a fancy-pants case.
    Better yet, instead of a sushi restaurant, how about bringing your fancy lacquered lotus-adorned chopsticks complete with ivory case with you when dining at PF Changs
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  6. #6
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I've been at a sushi restaurant before when people bring their own fancy-pants chopstix in a fancy-pants case.
    My favorite place keeps the chopsticks behind the bar for you. I do have my own chopsticks, I'm just not serious enough to bring them or have them kept for me.

    Is it appropriate to bring your own lobster bib to the party?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    5,895
    Blog entries
    6
    When invited to an orgy, I always bring my own whips, chains and condoms.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,030
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    first, let me begin by saying....


    - How about the guy who walks into a beer pub/brewhaus with a pint mug that has his initials engraved on it?
    -)?


    And there's a problem with that?!?!!??!?!


    Seriously, there's a pub in town that sells you a pewter mug for $25 and engraves your name on it. It's also a 20 oz. mug instead of the standard 16 oz pint. My wife brought it for me as a b-day present many years ago. There are a few hundred of them (maybe 500) and mine number is only 2 digits. I've had mine for several years.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #9
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,804
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    And there's a problem with that?!?!!??!?!


    Seriously, there's a pub in town that sells you a pewter mug for $25 and engraves your name on it. It's also a 20 oz. mug instead of the standard 16 oz pint. My wife brought it for me as a b-day present many years ago. There are a few hundred of them (maybe 500) and mine number is only 2 digits. I've had mine for several years.
    If there are dozens of other customers with their own mugs that makes it unremarkable. But if you walk into a place (think more along the lines of a divey bar maybe) and you're the only one wiht their own mug that might raise a few eyebrows.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  10. #10
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    3,970
    If it were me watching you walk in with a custom beer mug I would only think, "Why didn't I think of that?"
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    And there's a problem with that?!?!!??!?!


    Seriously, there's a pub in town that sells you a pewter mug for $25 and engraves your name on it. It's also a 20 oz. mug instead of the standard 16 oz pint. My wife brought it for me as a b-day present many years ago. There are a few hundred of them (maybe 500) and mine number is only 2 digits. I've had mine for several years.
    That's no different the refillable slushie cup at the Kangaroo or 7-11

    I like seeing the guys at meeting and conferences who bring an assortment writing instruments. You know the guy red, blue, and black pen; highlighter, and number 2 pencil.

  12. #12
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,731
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 11:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM