Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Clearing Sidewalks

Registered
    Apr 2003

Clearing Sidewalks

It seems that every winter the discussion of clearing sidewalks comes up in places that get snow. Some get all angry if the sidewalks are not cleared 24/7... even if it is still snowing. Because of the cold weather, the city has suspended enforcement on sidewalks. Which I agree with... but those who walk everywhere seem to be upset with that idea. Keep in mind we have had snow for 4 days now... and regulations say 'within 24 hours' of a snowfall. Since the snowfall has not needed, my guess is that 24 hour clock has not started.

What are your thoughts on clearing sidewalks? Should the home owner clear them, should renters clear them, should landlords clear them, or should the City clear them?

Personally, I think it should be the responsibility of the homeowner/property owner... but I don't think that renters should wait for the landlord to show up if they want it cleared sooner than 24 hours.

*Side note, it took me an hour to clear my sidewalks this afternoon... and I have been out there every day except yesterday. The only reason I did not go out yesterday was because it was too cold out.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think the 24 hour rule is a good guide. I'd say whoever lives there renter or owner should clear off the sidewalk in about a day. I don't expect it cleared first thing in the morning, you're going to work, but maybe when you get home of sometime the next day if you can't get to it. If it's snowing 24/7 like up north, wait until the snow stops. No point in shoveling if you just have to do it again in a few hours.

I'm lucky, I don't have a sidewalk, but I do have to clear my driveway and some of the street to get to the clear lane. I also have to clear an area for the mailman which doubles for the trash collection.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Personally, I think it should be the responsibility of the homeowner/property owner... but I don't think that renters should wait for the landlord to show up if they want it cleared sooner than 24 hours.
    I agree with this 100%

Near me, people are generally pretty good about clearing their sidewalks pretty quickly (and repeatedly) after snow. I imagine a lot of it comes down to the fact that so many folks use a snowplow service and the service will clear the sidewalks as part of the contract or if you use a snow blower on your driveway, it probably doesn't take all that much extra effort to clear the sidewalk as well.

I am out running or walking nearly every morning regardless of the weather and this time of year I really appreciate that most folks are pretty good about clearing their sidewalks, especially along the busier streets where I don't want to run in the road. However, there is one particular house that I run past nearly every single morning, on one of the few stretches where I can rarely run in the street, that NEVER clears their sidewalk and it irks me even more because I can see their Bentley GT convertible and Mercedes Geländewagen sitting in their immaculately cleared driveway. Maybe if they drove a 94 Sunfire and a rusted out Explorer I'd have more patience with them. I always want to spit on their cars as I run past.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I agree with this 100%

Near me, people are generally pretty good about clearing their sidewalks pretty quickly (and repeatedly) after snow. I imagine a lot of it comes down to the fact that so many folks use a snowplow service and the service will clear the sidewalks as part of the contract or if you use a snow blower on your driveway, it probably doesn't take all that much extra effort to clear the sidewalk as well.

I am out running or walking nearly every morning regardless of the weather and this time of year I really appreciate that most folks are pretty good about clearing their sidewalks, especially along the busier streets where I don't want to run in the road. However, there is one particular house that I run past nearly every single morning, on one of the few stretches where I can rarely run in the street, that NEVER clears their sidewalk and it irks me even more because I can see their Bentley GT convertible and Mercedes Geländewagen sitting in their immaculately cleared driveway. Maybe if they drove a 94 Sunfire and a rusted out Explorer I'd have more patience with them. I always want to spit on their cars as I run past.
    They spent all their money on cars and car upkeep, they can't afford plowing.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What are these sidewalks you speak of?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Clearing Snow
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 28 Dec 2007, 2:49 PM
  2. Lot clearing pemit overreaction?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 26 Sep 2006, 4:57 PM
  3. Sidewalks to nowhere?
    Transportation Planning