Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 College Football Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Its national letter of intent day...the one day a year when middle aged men fall over the decision of an 18 year old boy and noone thinks its weird or creepy.
    Oh, a lot of people think it is weird and creepy...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It looks like Mississippi did pretty well even though are aren't very good. It is amazing how being in the SEC helps recruiting. Even Kentucky did well this year...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    It looks like Mississippi did pretty well even though are aren't very good.
    Ole Miss signing Nkemdiche is legit - the kid wants to play at the same school as his older brother....the rest is a bit, um, suspicious.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Ole Miss signing Nkemdiche is legit - the kid wants to play at the same school as his older brother....the rest is a bit, um, suspicious.
    If Ole Miss did something wrong they won't get investigated until 4 years later and penalized until 2 years after that. By that time all of the players and most of the staff have moved on. The person that will pay the price is is currently in the 6th grade.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If Ole Miss did something wrong they won't get investigated until 4 years later and penalized until 2 years after that. By that time all of the players and most of the staff have moved on. The person that will pay the price is is currently in the 6th grade.
    I am pretty sure Alabama has already signed the best 6th grader in the country...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am pretty sure Alabama has already signed the best 6th grader in the country...
    If he can pass the 6th grade then he can enroll at 'Bama.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If he can pass the 6th grade then he can enroll at 'Bama.
    Whoa! When did they tighten up their academic requirements?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    It honestly amazes me that they even bother to scout and recruit middle-schoolers. That just seems so incredibly presumptuous to me. A lot can happen in those years before college.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    It honestly amazes me that they even bother to scout and recruit middle-schoolers. That just seems so incredibly presumptuous to me. A lot can happen in those years before college.
    But what if you miss out on the next best thing... it is worth the risk. They will oversign anyway, and probably just screw that kid if he sucks by then....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I think he needs to go ahead and transfer.

http://deadspin.com/5982650/michigan...o-go-over-well

When you make statements like that, you're doomed - hazing and "extra attention" will follow you with no escape.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I think he needs to go ahead and transfer.

http://deadspin.com/5982650/michigan...o-go-over-well

When you make statements like that, you're doomed - hazing and "extra attention" will follow you with no escape.
    At least he has good taste... too bad he wasn't good enough for the Buckeyes and Michigan had to pick up the scraps... again.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    But what if you miss out on the next best thing... it is worth the risk. They will oversign anyway, and probably just screw that kid if he sucks by then....
    Bama's oversigning this year:

Brian Wietzke ‏@mgobrian
    So Alabama FB has 70 returning scholarship players but signed 25 players yesterday. Limit is 85, so 10 kids will be "cut" #oversigning

Registered
    Jan 2005
    That is Saban's MO. He might win, but he is a sleazy coach. It isn't illegal though... so I guess it must be right.... right?

Registered
    May 2005
    That is Saban's MO. He might win, but he is a sleazy coach. It isn't illegal though... so I guess it must be right.... right?
    As long as the recruits/players know what the deal is, I don't have a problem with it. Of course, I just wish everyone would do it and stop with this nonsense that college football isn't about money.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well he just kicked 4 idiot freshman off the squad for being arressted - nothing major, just robbery and credit card fraud. Stuooopid is as Stoooopid does.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Well he just kicked 4 idiot freshman off the squad for being arressted - nothing major, just robbery and credit card fraud. Stuooopid is as Stoooopid does.
    Did he actually kick them off the team? I read "suspended indefinitely", which in Saban's world means "reinstated by the start of spring practice."

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Did he actually kick them off the team? I read "suspended indefinitely", which in Saban's world means "reinstated by the start of spring practice."
    No it will depend on how well they are coming along. If some are slipping, he will just release them. If they are showing some promise, they will start by the end of the season.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Why are we still talking about college football? It's basketball season y'all. Plus spring training is just around the corner.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Why are we still talking about college football? It's basketball season y'all. Plus spring training is just around the corner.
    We are multi-taskers...besides spring practices are next month.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Heisman Trpphy winner Johnny Manziel is enrolled at Texas A&M, but only taking online classes. Doesn't that seem wierd?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Heisman Trpphy winner Johnny Manziel is enrolled at Texas A&M, but only taking online classes. Doesn't that seem wierd?
    Wonder if the University of Phoenix will have a team comprised of all online students one day. That would be interesting, would they play NCAA Football for Play Station 3?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Wonder if the University of Phoenix will have a team comprised of all online students one day. That would be interesting, would they play NCAA Football for Play Station 3?
    If they allow things like this, it will look much like the High School Basketball landscape. "Schools" that teach 15 kids who all happen to be on the basketball team which happen to all be recruited and nationally ranked...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Grand Canyon University plays basketball in the WAC starting next year and over half of its student body is enrooled online. GCU is the first for profit school to compete at the division I level.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Grand Canyon University plays basketball in the WAC starting next year and over half of its student body is enrooled online. GCU is the first for profit school to compete at the division I level.
    Not just for profit but publicly traded too (NASDAQ: LOPE)
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Shaq got a master's degree from University of Phoenix. He would have been a great asset to their basketball team.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2010 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 455
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 5:00 PM
  2. 2009 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 244
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 10:17 AM
  3. 2008 College Football Thread