Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Passing the torch

Registered
    Jan 2009

Passing the torch

I'm spending part of my Friday cleaning my little office. I found a great folder labeled "Old Planner, New Planner". It has memos from all the past planners detailing what they were working on, how the office politics worked, who to work with and avoid in the public. Even some hilarious notes about the guy who thinks there's a conspiracy to put his junk yard out of business. Sadly the planner before didn't add anything (I'm finding out over time they weren't the greatest of planners).

So the point of the thread, did any of you get advice from the past person or have any great advice they plan to pass on?

The folder is now in the desk drawer to remind me to start writing my advice so it's available for the next guy if I decide to leave.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have been at my job for over 4 years and got an office full of old documents and project files...haven't had the time to go through it all, but I've been slowly going through it to through out the junk.

The planner before me was really into environmental planning issues and the one before her was a landscape architech...Its not really my bag, but I have stuff if I need it.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The person that sat in my chair before me had an obsession with picking out paint colors, tiles, wood flooring, and fixtures. Less time was spent on development budgets, growing a buyer pool, and many of the things I am tasked with. She still works at the org as a fundraiser (tell me how when she couldn't run a development budget) and offers me "helpful advice" about the aforementioned items. I nod and say thank you and keep moving along. The one before her left his tirade and new job search info on my server, his life was in a death spiral. The one before that was my ED at a different org and she gave me the skinny before I walked in the door.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I can only wish I had some legacy information before I stepped into my previous position. I wish I knew what I was walking into staff wise, leadership wise, and politics.

I was fortunate enough to talk to the incoming PD after I left to give him a run down of where the comp plan was and what developer agreements we were working on.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I guess I have been fortunate in that most predecessors have left behind some sort of documentation, but to be honest, I've generally liked the jobs rather more where I've had to re-invent the wheel.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Passing the time at council meetings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 24 Jan 2008, 9:15 AM
  2. What is passing score on AICP exam?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jun 2005, 2:43 PM
  3. Passing of a great
    Friday Afternoon Club