Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are the costs to start and implement an adopt-a-highway plan?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

What are the costs to start and implement an adopt-a-highway plan?

As a concerned motorist living and working and DRIVING in Houston, TX I have noticed that the roads, local, farm to market (FMs), state, and interstate roads, are just one unkempt mess. Debris from car crashes are left at intersections, huge scraps of truck tire were lying on the interstate which took out my fog light. I have seen parts of mattresses and other moving items left near the curb in some areas. There are no street cleaners and I have yet to see any signs for an adopt-a-highway program. Bdaleray told me I get what I pay for living in a state with low taxes (and no state income tax) which I agree. But how expensive is it to implement and maintain an adopt-a-highway plan? I'm not advocating change down here in Texas but I'm very curious about the dollar cost for these programs.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

I am under the impression that adopt-a-highway programs are more casual than you describe. It may involve an organization getting a group of volunteers to clean the side of the road several times a year. Bigger issues such as blown out tires and mattresses in the travel lanes remains the responsibility of DOT/Police.

(But I agree with you on the road conditions in Texas. I've seen less crap in the travel lanes in third world countries than the roads in DFW. It's very frustrating to drive.)
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Not expensive at all but you need volunteers. From experience it is not very nice work and low reward, so it is hard to keep up a long term effort unless it is somebody with a real stake in the road (like a business along it). A group I am involved with did it for a couple years but it was always difficult coming up with volunteers. To cover 2 miles you need at least 8 people at a time, and more is better. Eventually we gave it up to spend the time elsewhere. (If anybody wants to buy some trash grabbers for their own group, let me know, I have about 10 in my garage)

I am surprised you don't see any signs, they are all over up here in North Texas. Talk to your local TxDOT district office for adopt-a-highway opportunities on the state roadway system, they will have a contact person (http://www.dot.state.tx.us/trv/aah/coordinator.htm. IIRC your group basically signs a contract to clean 4 times a year, for a 2-mile section. TxDOT will provide the bags, signs, and vests for the volunteers, and pick up the full bags when done.

You're not really supposed to be in the roadway, but depending on traffic it can be done. But cleaning once a quarter doesn't do much for the day-to-day impression. Big stuff mark in place and tell TxDOT and they will pick it up when they come for the bags. Anything large but movable by hand, we threw into a pickup bed and dropped at the bag collection point.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 May 2010, 10:10 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Jan 2010, 11:38 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Oct 2008, 4:35 PM
  4. Adopt a Sniper.com
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Feb 2005, 11:04 PM