Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The neverending headache thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The neverending headache thread

Hour #32 of migraine....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Alas, no.
    Would you start a Neverending Headache thread? Something tells me it would be very popular.
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 03 Mar 2014 at 5:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Headaches. We all get them. Why oh why. sometimes people cause them but not today.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Headaches. We all get them. Why oh why. sometimes people cause them but not today.
    (1) Be sure that it's definitely a migraine headache:
    Is the unbearable pain on only one side of your forehead?
    You have a "vomit" smiley; do you have nausea?
    Does the usual tylenol/aspirin/ibuprofen not work?
    Then it's probably a migraine.

(2) If it's a migraine headache:

(a) What are all the things you've eaten/ingested in the last 12 hours? Often it's a particular food, food additive, or medicine. A google search on the net will give you a good/accurate list of them.

(b) You may want to answer this question to yourself: Do you have constipation? That's major cause about which most people are too embarrassed to discuss. If you have it, take a suppository or enema. (Unfortunately, no "relief" by mouth; you'll just vomit it.)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Hour #32 of migraine....
    Is this a neverending thread about headaches or a thread about your neverending headache?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I get ocular migraines but not the following headache. I get an annual headache at budget time starting in January and ending on March 15 when the budget goes to the state.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I get migraines somewhat frequently. I feel you pain, Maister. There's really no way to describe how awful it is. It's debilitating. I like to take way too much ibuprofen, drink a big coke slowly and stand in a super hot shower for a while. Then I go and lay down in the dark and (I'm being totally serious here) I talk quietly to myself outloud trying to remember details of certain experiences. I've developed this technique over years of suffering and I swear it works. For me anyway.

Good luck.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I discovered years ago that if I take 2 Aleve as soon as I see the kaleidoscope thingy in my vision, the first sign I'm getting a migraine, the Aleve will stop the migraine within minutes. It's an anti-inflammatory which is why it works when other painkillers don't.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Is this a neverending thread about headaches or a thread about your neverending headache?
    yes.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Can't say I can help much, the most I get is a throbbing head. My mom used to get migraines years ago and took some kind of pill that was mostly caffeine so the Ursus drink a big coke idea sounds good.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm pretty sure Ursus invents reasons to drink big Cokes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll second the caffiene recommendation with a Diet Coke or a large Starbucks (or local coffee shop of your choice).

I tend to wake with very bad headaches due to arthritis in my neck from an old war injury. If my neck gets cold while I sleep, my muscles get tense and cause a headache from my shoulders up to the top of my head. These pretty much wipe me out and I can do little but treat it with heat, massage, and rest. I did find that I can prevent most of them by wearing a Turtle Fur while I sleep, but still, I woke up this morning with a mild headache.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Every few years there will be a period of a couple weeks where I will get debilitating migraines (maybe for four or five days over the course of three weeks). I cannot keep my eyes open, I get dizzy, vomit. I've gone to the doctors and tried prescription medicines and isolating things in my diet to no real use. The only thing that solves them for me is laying down and going back to sleep. If I can get just a few hours of sleep, that will usually solve the problem... for a few days at least. Thankfully, I haven't really had a bout of them in about four years.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I keep reading this thread title as the Neverending Heartache Thread.

I don't have advice for migraines, but Excedrin used to be the only thing that would help me get rid of bad headaches I used to get while living in LA. I think they were from unconscious eye strain / tension from driving. Somehow they mysteriously stopped when I moved away.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    So I hadn't originally posted in this thread, most likely because I had a massive headache at the time which makes it hard to concentrate

I've had headaches frequently the past few years, most of the time nothing seems to touch them. Plus, just in general felt really pretty crappy (exhausted, achy, etc.). About a month ago I had a headache that lasted two week straight, probably on a level 3-5 so more annoying than anything. Went to a work clinic and the dr sent me to get an MRI. Found out I have spinal fluid surrounding where it's not supposed to be and it's putting pressure on my my pituatory gland. Side effects = headaches and potential disruption of hormones (which would probably account for issues in last few years). So nothing too serious in the whole scheme of life (especially considering the dr mentioned viral meningitis, a tumor, etc. when I first went in). I go to the neurologist in a few weeks.

Weird as it sounds, I'm glad they found "something".

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    So I hadn't originally posted in this thread, most likely because I had a massive headache at the time which makes it hard to concentrate

I've had headaches frequently the past few years, most of the time nothing seems to touch them. Plus, just in general felt really pretty crappy (exhausted, achy, etc.). About a month ago I had a headache that lasted two week straight, probably on a level 3-5 so more annoying than anything. Went to a work clinic and the dr sent me to get an MRI. Found out I have spinal fluid surrounding where it's not supposed to be and it's putting pressure on my my pituatory gland. Side effects = headaches and potential disruption of hormones (which would probably account for issues in last few years). So nothing too serious in the whole scheme of life (especially considering the dr mentioned viral meningitis, a tumor, etc. when I first went in). I go to the neurologist in a few weeks.

Weird as it sounds, I'm glad they found "something".
    I agree it's best to know. At one point they did an MRI on me to see if they 'missed' something during one of my prolonged migraines. They didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club