People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor
Why do you people hate America. Our kids would be safe in these communities. Sure, they may have no idea how to interact with people when they leave the compound, but they would be safe, safe, safe!!!!
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"
We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805
I love the article from The Atlantic
The closing is the best part...
"...And if it's "patriotic" to inhabit an application-only city I don't see how.
If it's ever built, I'd advise against moving to The Citadel. I think its imprudent to surround yourself entirely with people from a narrow slice of the political spectrum; nonsensical to dedicate so many resources to self-defense when you're living in rural Idaho, and your odds of being a victim of crime or invasion is extremely low; and foolhardy to raise your kids in a place where they'll be miserable unless they happen to share both your politics and enthusiasm for gun culture. (Plus, if you trust the incorruptibility of a private arbitration board ... exactly why do you?)..."
Need a planner? Why not Dvd?
Recently saw this article, not that it's a surprise.
Need a planner? Why not Dvd?
Jon Stewart did a segment on this place and Glen Beck's version of it last night. Was pretty funny to see Glen Beck pretty much espouse new urbanist values for his community.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
They made the Jon Stewart show, I wonder how they will react to that
Just a few questions:
1. why are there gated subdivisions WITHIN the gated community? Do they foresee a need to defend themselves against themselves? Will the 5 gated subdivisions be cultivated as rivals.. with the opportunity to lay siege to each other?
2. the commons look to be quite extensive. Who will maintain them? Isn't an HOA socialist? wouldn't association dues constitute a form of taxation and therefore violate the community's rules?
3. Why the unit type mixing? It seems that each of the 5 single family subdivisions will have, within their gated areas, multi-unit buildings inset into their respective portions of the overall communuty wall. Wouldn't it be better from their point of view to put the lower income units in their own subdivision, perhaps with a gate that can only be opened from outside.. and guard towers and flood lights?
4. Is there enough parking? In keeping with the spirit of the place, shouldn't the living areas be surrounded by vast surface parking lots?
5. The bungalows or whatever they are in the town center seems awfully dense and New Urbanish to me. main street style shops along the streets lining the main cross-roads? Shouldn't there be a strip mall instead?
6. Where is there room for the Wal Mart? Surely, these people will need a Wal Mart?
7. Where is the shooting range?
I see a resurgence of a good ole medieval sieige in the future. The ATF outside the walls, armed with catapults and trebuchets (borrowed from the good people who participate in Punkin Chunkin), flinging dead, rotting cows, pumpkins, garbage and medical waste over the walls of the Citadel. The residents will be up on the walls, taunting the ATF in Monty Pythonesque fashion.
Could be great fun. I look forward to it.
"I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."
~ Otterpop ~
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams