Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Subdivision precedents needed - park-no-street fronting homes

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

Subdivision precedents needed - park-no-street fronting homes

I'm interested in precedents for a new urbany subdivision configuration for both attached and detached single family (fairly high density, say at least 8-10 units/gross acre) with garages in back (alley loaded) and where the front entrance to each home fronts a sidewalk on a linear park (with fronting homes flanking sides of the green) but where there is no direct vehicular access to the front before the park.. just a sidewalk/pedestrian street on either side of the park and in front of the homes. I can think of one example - Liberty Village - but was wondering whether any more came to mind. Issue is that there's no room to hit the unit target with front street access without sacrificing the park, which the client doesn't want to do.

In what I've been able to come with so far, I'm proposing that the units would present a unified street wall without setback, except a porch/stoop, to the park/sidewalk. Unit parking would be accessed via the alley, and there might be guest parking at the end of each 6-8 unit "block" on the side streets. Given a 30-35' lot width, the maximum one would have to walk along one of the two park edges to get to the guest parking would be 140' or 4 unit lot-widths. If we limited each block to 6 units, that would fall to a maximum of 105' or 3 unit lot-widths. This is in a resort-type setting. Any examples would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 20 May 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    The Hydrostone neighbourhood in Halifax, NS is a neighbourhood that is similar (no garages, just parking spots) to what you describe. It is ~100 years old though so I doubt it will give you any guidance on writing regulations, but it is a nice example as it's one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in Halifax; it won second in the Canadian Institute of Planners "Best Neighbourhood in Canada" award in 2011. One of its oddities is that over the years some of the houses have renovated to front on the alley, so the neighbourhood has a strange mix of front- and rear-facing homes.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    I'm interested in precedents for a new urbany subdivision configuration for both attached and detached single family (fairly high density, say at least 8-10 units/gross acre) with garages in back (alley loaded) and where the front entrance to each home fronts a sidewalk on a linear park (with fronting homes flanking sides of the green) but where there is no direct vehicular access to the front before the park.. just a sidewalk/pedestrian street on either side of the park and in front of the homes. I can think of one example - Liberty Village - but was wondering whether any more came to mind. Issue is that there's no room to hit the unit target with front street access without sacrificing the park, which the client doesn't want to do.

In what I've been able to come with so far, I'm proposing that the units would present a unified street wall without setback, except a porch/stoop, to the park/sidewalk. Unit parking would be accessed via the alley, and there might be guest parking at the end of each 6-8 unit "block" on the side streets. Given a 30-35' lot width, the maximum one would have to walk along one of the two park edges to get to the guest parking would be 140' or 4 unit lot-widths. If we limited each block to 6 units, that would fall to a maximum of 105' or 3 unit lot-widths. This is in a resort-type setting. Any examples would be appreciated.
    Parts of Stapleton come to mind.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This was applied to an existing block of stately homes along Pallister in Detroit's New Center neighborhood.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+ce...+Michigan&z=18

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+ce...=12,83.11,,0,0
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    The High Plains Village development in Loveland, CO has one such space. Its actually a great space with a very nice feel to it, with front porches facing the linear green space where a street would otherwise have been given the block configuration.

I've heard of ways to accomodate emergency fire access on green spaces, if its necessary, too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    HomeTown Aurora by Bigelow Homes: my cousin and his wife live in a house fronting a large park with an alley behind. It is an interesting concept. However the surrounding area is a mixture of conventional subdivisions, large lots, and an earlier city grid to the north.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    HomeTown Aurora by Bigelow Homes: my cousin and his wife live in a house fronting a large park with an alley behind. It is an interesting concept. However the surrounding area is a mixture of conventional subdivisions, large lots, and an earlier city grid to the north.
    Blanco River Village in San Marcos, TX is also an example of this. It is a greenfield TND project. Let me know if you need pictures--I drive by the neighborhood about once a week. It has proven very popular with the single parent demographic in particular since outdoor maintenance is rolled into the HOA, plus Bigelow's houses are very utility efficient.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Example in MN

My in-laws used to live on Hazel Trail in Woodbury, MN. This is a suburb outside the Twin Cities. Their townhouse had garage access via a shared deadend alley and pedestrian access to the front of the house. There was shared greenspace at the font of the townhouse. Google maps can give you a picture of it, but I think is similar to what you were describing.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here's a link to the example I was refering to. Again, not the best example on earth.

http://goo.gl/maps/5xD5d

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Thanks. Good examples.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 15 Mar 2012, 12:20 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 2:00 PM
  3. Street width - residential subdivision
    Transportation Planning