Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snoring

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snoring

Do you snore? Does anyone have an SO or other family member that snores? Anyone ever get fitted for one of those CPAP breathing masks?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, I'll admit it. Sometimes my snoring wakes me, and I know that my kids hear it.

I don't have CPAP, but I understand it works. I've also heard of an appliance that someone can wear when they sleep, but don't know whether those work.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I've been told I snore, but I'm always sleeping when it happens.

I don't doubt it at all because my dad would wake me up in the next room with the doors closed. He was loud, so I guess I could be too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My wife bought me a box of those breathe-right strips to put on your nose at night, but for some reason she got the extra large size so they never seem to stay on for more than an hour. I've actually got an average to smallish size nose.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife is a snorer. Once in a great while it gets so bad that I'll go sleep on a couch (the guest room is too close to the master bedroom and next to my snoring daughter's room so I don't get much relief if I go there).

According to her I am not much of a snorer. I am however a sleep drooler which might be worse.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Apparently I snore on occasion, but not that loud.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    According to my ex, I don't snore, but make quiet popping sounds. She found it quite cute.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Living alone I don't know.

Untreated sleep apnea can:

Increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, obesity, and diabetes
    Increase the risk of, or worsen, heart failure
    Make arrhythmias or irregular heartbeats, more likely
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/heal...cs/sleepapnea/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yes. But I can't get a CPAP until they do a sleep study, which my insurance will not cover.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I snore really bad - it's embarrassing

I did a sleep study and my oxygen levels oddly didn't decrease from my snoring so it didn't trigger a machine

but this was about 7 years ago so I may ask for one again as I am about to hit a new decade this fall

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When ZG snores and wakes me up, I tap the bottom of her feet and she rolls over. I sometimes wake myself up due to my snoring.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I snore. When I was younger it was only when extremely tired or congested. Now it's every night. Most nights are not too bad (according to hubby) but sometimes he has to leave the room to get some sleep.

He sometimes snores, but it's not bad and doesn't keep anyone awake.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am told that I snore, and I have sometimes woken myself. Like Planit, I only seem to snore in my sleep. I come from a long line of snorers. My grandfather was one of the all-time greats. When the whole family would gather at the summer house we could hear him from several rooms away, with all of the doors closed.

My dogs snore, especially Luke. Yesterday afternoon, since it was raining, I lounged int he Lazy-Boy watching other people doing yard work on TV. Luke lay on the dog bed next to me softly snoring. Emma lay on one end of the couch barking in her sleep, and then Shadow joined. in with a couple barks. It was cute.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I snore really bad - it's embarrassing

I did a sleep study and my oxygen levels oddly didn't decrease from my snoring so it didn't trigger a machine

but this was about 7 years ago so I may ask for one again as I am about to hit a new decade this fall
    Girlfriend you are not alone

I warned Osiris in advance that I snored. He found out I wasn't kidding. I do not have apnea.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    I am not a big snorer, though it happens. My wife is a bit more of one than me, but I can just roll her over and it stops. Our daughter and one of the dogs are biggest snorers in the house. The dog usually goes to sleep with her and when its time for bed, I go gather the pup and put her in her crate. So, when I walk into that room, I often just stop for a few and take in the symphonic greatness that is the two of them partaking in some sort of great snoring collaboration.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 7:46 PM
  2. The Snoring Thread (AIB RJ)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 8:29 PM