Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The inside scoop on being Catholic

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I got sent to the principal more than not in parochial grammar school but the Pincipal was a nice nun who grew up with my Dad so she'd give me Oreo's and milk, tell me to clean my face up before getting back to class from crumbs and then say "try to behave this afternoon, LP"

I also was of the era of the infamous years of folk masses and guitar masses so I somehow lucked out that I did not get the lashing that TOFB received - though my brother did (but not sexually, but emotionally, very sad) so I don't blame him for not staying with it in his adult life

I lost a lot of respect for the Catholic church when the henchmen came down and closed my daughter's school tonight. Let's just say things could have been handled a lot better than they were. The fait accompli approach is really inappropriate when most folks had no idea the dire straits the archdiocese had allowed to build. Lots of anger, tears, and accusations. The parish is mortally wounded I fear.
    Je suis Charlie

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I lost a lot of respect for the Catholic church when the henchmen came down and closed my daughter's school tonight. Let's just say things could have been handled a lot better than they were. The fait accompli approach is really inappropriate when most folks had no idea the dire straits the archdiocese had allowed to build. Lots of anger, tears, and accusations. The parish is mortally wounded I fear.
    I'm saddened and sorry to hear this. I think that they've forgotten that their schools are the farm team for vocations.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Latino flavored catholic here and yes, we have a lot of mother mary hanging out in my folks house and lots of prayers to god knows how many saints and yes, we got some crazy traditions to boot
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    We poles have got plenty of Mary devotion as well. My old house had a backyard Mary and I sure left her where she was! I would get a strange feeling hosing the bird poop and cobwebs off of her! Growing up, there was a family down the block that is half Mexican and half Polish. You know they were not escaping Mary traditions! I still run into them at the St. Patrick's day parade.
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Guess who was picked by her 8th grade Catholic school class to do the "May Crowning" of Mary...that's right, me

We had a replica of the Grotto with a Mary statue next to the school.
    Buffalo and especially certain of its very Catholic and very Polish suburbs were/are famous for having "Mary on the Half Shell" mini-grottos in yards -- front, preferable, but back or side were permitted as well. Most of these little grottos were commercial but most Poles being at least as frugal as any Scotsman, believed in "waste not, want not", so back in the 1950s-1960s, when these frugal homeowners remodeled their bathrooms, some stripped their old clawfoot bathtubs of their legs, buried them a quarter or half their length in the yard, and voila! instant mini-grotto just waiting for the statue of Mary.

The buried tubs as grottos is NOT an urban legend. I had two relatives who actually did this -- and were quite proud of their handiwork, too.

Who said Buffalonians were backward? They were into recycling 10 or 15 years at least before the first Earth Day!

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    No priest has ever been able to answer this burning question I have: If Jesus was a Jew, why the Puerto Rican name?
    LOL. I gotta remember that one!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm just curious if the new pope has changed anything for the practicing Catholics out there?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    We had a replica of the Grotto with a Mary statue next to the school.
    We had a grotto on our high school grounds. It was surrounded by bushes and had benches. In other words, it was a great place to smoke pot between classes.

The priests, christian brothers and nuns preached to us about the sin of pre-marital sex. But I came away from the lesson with the realization that it wasn't pre-marital sex if you didn't intend to get married.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. The inside scoop on ta-ta's
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 295
    Last post: 05 Jul 2015, 3:19 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 14 Mar 2013, 5:33 PM
  3. The inside scoop on [fill in job]
    Friday Afternoon Club