+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ah yes, looking back at one's irresponsible college days

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I have so much work to do but I must post this story

Stop me if I have posted this before but:

My favorite college prank was my friend Linda and I got a hold of a Red Cross dummy from a nursing student, went to the top floor of a large dorm and when a crowd seemed to be randomly assembled below doing their own thing, we threw him out the window and screamed "Johnny Didn't Study!" and then ran like hell to the screaming sorority girls below

I still break up in tears laughing at that story

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I started college in the late 60s...at least I think I did. I believe it was 69 when they kicked me out. I still have a couple of chairs I, er, a friend, borrowed from the president's conference room.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Stop me if I have posted this before but:

My favorite college prank was my friend Linda and I got a hold of a Red Cross dummy from a nursing student, went to the top floor of a large dorm and when a crowd seemed to be randomly assembled below doing their own thing, we threw him out the window and screamed "Johnny Didn't Study!" and then ran like hell to the screaming sorority girls below

I still break up in tears laughing at that story
    I missed out.....reading this thread I know....I totally missed out.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I missed out.....reading this thread I know....I totally missed out.
    I seriously think I wet my pants laughing at the time - so awful but for some reason, so absolutely hilarious and the nurse didn't narc on us either - she said she had no idea how that Red Cross dummy broke in a million pieces - glad I wasn't there for that explanation...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Winter time

Sliding on cafeteria trays
    making donuts in the parking lot
    snowball fights - both inside and outside
    skipping class to go skiing
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I seem to recall a story about this friend of mine. He lived on the eighth floor of his dorm. It was his freshman year at college, I am told. This was in 1970 in Los Angeles. Somehow the LAPD learned that he had a small quantity of a green leafy substance in his dorm room. One day he was strolling through the lobby of the dorm when he noticed a pair of LAPD's finest waiting for the elevator. Asking a knowledgeable person what floor they were going to, he was informed they they were going to his floor. Asking what room he was informed his room. He casually strolled past the waiting police officers to the stairs. He made a highly motivated run up the stairs and beat the elevator, disposed of the plant material, and calmly answered the door when the police arrived. They seemed disappointed to see him.

He later learned who had informed on him, and through some acquaintances was able to motivate that person to leave the area.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I was lucky not to have encountered "left-handed cigarettes" and their associates until my senior yr (1969), and not to have found LSD until after graduation.

Times were not good, fear and loathing ran high. I took the road less travelled. First job after collidge was as a garbage man. (I said I took the one to the left). Both of my brothers went to Vietnam and came back psychologically damaged, and told me sternly, "Do not go". I didn't, but it cost dearly.

I think still I was lucky to have "escaped" the well-worn path.

I have friends with parts of their bodies missing from going to Vietnam. Another friend threw a molotov cocktail through the window of the Army ROTC building on campus. He went to jail, got out, and became a local entrepreneur, and does not regret one item of the history. Most of my peers think that our nation learned NOTHING from the period of Vietnam to the Iraq invasion.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Winter time

Sliding on cafeteria trays
    making donuts in the parking lot
    snowball fights - both inside and outside
    skipping class to go skiing
    Ah yes those were fun. We also had an honest to goodness food fight in the cafeteria. I know a couple people that got detained by the campus police. I escaped out the side door. We also moved one professor's car to the other side of the parking lot. By the way it took 14 of us to lift a '78 VW.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I didn't have much in the way of irresponsible partying. I'm saving it all for a wild mid-life crisis in a few years.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I didn't have much in the way of irresponsible partying. I'm saving it all for a wild mid-life crisis in a few years.
    I seriously think this should be a group effort.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I remember visiting a girl friend at college at staying in her dorm. It was an all girls dorm so obviously I was having a good time until the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night. We decide to be sly and leave the room separately (like no one will notice some guy in boxers running down the hall). When I got outside, in the snow, I saw the girls grouping together like they were supposed to and a bunch of guys haning out on the side. So I joined them, froze my ass off in boxer shorts with the rest, and then went back up to her room when it was over. So much for that whole women only rule, but don't worry you're daughter is same at her college.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    There's a sharp distinction between my undergrad and grad years with a real world hiatus of about 6 years (calendar, light years in maturity) in between...

you can't run from your past but you sure as hell can whack it in the head with a shovel and bury it in your backyard.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by short timer View post
    There's a sharp distinction between my undergrad and grad years with a real world hiatus of about 6 years (calendar, light years in maturity) in between...

you can't run from your past but you sure as hell can whack it in the head with a shovel and bury it in your backyard.
    I agree. I did my military service between my first and second years of graduate school. I was an aimless drunken reveler as an undergrad. Those Army years made me a much more efficient partier to close out grad school.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by short timer View post

I took 8 years in between with 6 yrs spent in a Colorado Ski Town - does that mitigate the wild mid-life crisis.
    Maturing factors - living out of my car, being a Firefighter/EMT and being qualified as a Driver/Engineer.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Now this thread is starting to make me nervous....TigerLily got her acceptance letter to Utah State U today.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Now this thread is starting to make me nervous....TigerLily got her acceptance letter to Utah State U today.....
    Congrats! and I'm sure you have nothing to be afraid of!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Indeed Congrats ! Another Aggie, Yes !
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Given the collective Cyburbian responses about their college years, I'd say...uh...maybe...you...Oh what the heck, congratulations, I'm sure she'll do well and you'll survive too.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Actually Urus, be afraid, be very afraid. Did you not include bail money when planning for her education?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Contrary to those who spoke about not being able to run for office...

I think my college days have enough of a combination of women, booze and antics that I would make a GREAT politician.

Just gotta know how to spin it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Then how about maybe just treating us to a top two or three? Think of it as a teaser for your upcoming autobiography (that we'll all be sure to buy a copy of)
    What is the statute of limitations for arson?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Jun 2014, 1:44 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 22 Feb 2012, 3:44 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 5:13 PM
  4. Back to College lifestyle?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10