Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Astrologer/palm reading/fortune teller/psychic use?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Astrologer/palm reading/fortune teller/psychic use?

I've been tasked with determining the zoning district for a palm reading/tarot/etc. use. The citizen is in an office district, but what I have found so far in my research that this use is either not allowed at all, or that it is tucked away in the industrial zones or heavy commercial as a special/conditional use. The rationale I've seen is that it is considered a "urban decline use" much like pawn shops, tattoo studios, check cashing and SOBs. As a scientist (MS), I get that. Its pure hokum and deception. So I guess I'd like to hear from y'all about your codes and use determination for these uses. As I am in Texas, any Texan insight would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance.
    "The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them." - Paul Hawken

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never dealt with the issue but if someone proposed it I would have to just consider it an "office" use. As a land use it's not really different from a lawyer or marriage counselor - a place to talk with and get a service from a "professional." The only difference is the unusual source of their advice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would agree with Seabishop. It is materially no different than many other activities conducted in an office setting,

As an aside, I was once told by a person who describes themselves as an 'inyuitive' that they got the picture of a small black and white dog, maybe a border collie.... Funny thing is, I was already thinking that at the time. Luke, or "Little Dog" is a black and white border collie mix who picked me out at the shelter a couple months later.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I believe in the big California cities, as well as in NYC, fortune tellers qualify as general commercial and retail services - the same as a nail salon, for instance - and thus qualify to be in most streetfront retail areas. Many FL and TX jurisdictions like to exclude them from general commercial, however, from what I recollect.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We treat them like any other retail or office use, and allow them in our general commercial zone.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fortune cookies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 May 2010, 3:24 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2009, 6:37 PM
  3. Write A Fortune For A Fortune Cookie
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Oct 2005, 12:40 PM